• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) One D&D Permanently Removes The Term 'Race'

In line with many other tabletop roleplaying games, such as Pathfinder or Level Up, One D&D is removing the term 'race'. Where Pathfinder uses 'Ancestry' and Level Up uses 'Heritage', One D&D will be using 'Species'. https://www.dndbeyond.com/posts/1393-moving-on-from-race-in-one-d-d In a blog post, WotC announced that "We have made the decision to move on from using the term "race"...

In line with many other tabletop roleplaying games, such as Pathfinder or Level Up, One D&D is removing the term 'race'. Where Pathfinder uses 'Ancestry' and Level Up uses 'Heritage', One D&D will be using 'Species'.

In a blog post, WotC announced that "We have made the decision to move on from using the term "race" everywhere in One D&D, and we do not intend to return to that term."

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
The MMotM PC entry is one of the blandest things I've ever read in a D&D book. If that's the best they can do, I'm happy I've largely decided to leave WotC behind.

I'm guessing they could give paragraph entries to several distinct versions of them.

How much of the page-plus in the MM description actually impacts play more than the (iirc) shorter B/X or 1e descriptions?

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
I'm guessing they could give paragraph entries to several distinct versions of them.

How much of the page-plus in the MM description actually impacts play more than the (iirc) shorter B/X or 1e descriptions?
I like lore. That entry intentionally eschews it to avoid potentially offending anyone. I feel there's a way to thread the needle on this one.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
From what I'm hearing here, you are unfortunately wrong. Fictional settings apparently  cannot contain bigotry, even as an evil to be fought.

It feels to me like fighting bad folks will always be in D&D's wheel house. Sometimes raiders, sometimes oppressors based on religion or race or greed, sometimes monstrous killers, and sometimes maybe kidnappers and enslavers. Which gets the most spotlight will probably be related to marketing.

codo

Hero
From what I'm hearing here, you are unfortunately wrong. Fictional settings apparently  cannot contain bigotry, even as an evil to be fought.
A wandering forum discussion is a horrible place to discuss complicated topics, writing can be sloppy and confusing. I think you may be reading to much into what people are saying here. I know that's not what I was trying to say, and I don't think that is what anyone else has been saying. If you though I meant that, I am sorry I didn't explain myself better.

There is a big difference between having your Villain be a evil racist who wants to murder all elves and the world itself being racist. It can be cathartic and a lot of fun to pretend to beat up bigots and defeat their evil plans. Your PC having to constantly deal with hatred and distrust because of their "race" and having racial slurs thrown at them, not so fun, and should not be in the game.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
I like lore. That entry intentionally eschews it to avoid potentially offending anyone. I feel there's a way to thread the needle on this one.

So, giving space to a few different flavors in the MM and then giving more in a particular setting book doesn't help?

There are few things I dislike more organizationally than the core books being too deep into one particular setting.

Yaarel

🇮🇱He-Mage
Is that a yes? Because it reads like a yes to me, even if you don't want to say it straight out.
You seem to imply that fantasy fiction is the same thing as racist fiction. As if, without racism, there would be no fantasy to write about.

LOL!

Fantasy fiction is about thought experiments, to deal with reallife challenges.

Fantasy writers have been engaging very many different societal challenges.

Todays fantasy writers will find our challenges interesting.

Some of the challenges from previous centuries are no longer challenging and no longer interesting.

Racism is uninteresting.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Racism is uninteresting.

It feels like dealing with racism and sexism still show up in lots of popular movies, TV shows, and books and so might still be interesting to quite a few people? Or was Black Panther, for example, just touching on colonialism without racism being a thing? (As was noted above by @codo , how they're interestingly used seems to have changed.)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads