D&D (2024) One D&D Permanently Removes The Term 'Race'

In line with many other tabletop roleplaying games, such as Pathfinder or Level Up, One D&D is removing the term 'race'. Where Pathfinder uses 'Ancestry' and Level Up uses 'Heritage', One D&D will be using 'Species'. https://www.dndbeyond.com/posts/1393-moving-on-from-race-in-one-d-d In a blog post, WotC announced that "We have made the decision to move on from using the term "race"...

In line with many other tabletop roleplaying games, such as Pathfinder or Level Up, One D&D is removing the term 'race'. Where Pathfinder uses 'Ancestry' and Level Up uses 'Heritage', One D&D will be using 'Species'.

In a blog post, WotC announced that "We have made the decision to move on from using the term "race" everywhere in One D&D, and we do not intend to return to that term."

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
We started using Ancestry last year, and we have no complaints.

"Let me tell you about my race" - too personal, impolite, at best it sounds like you're talking to your track coach
"Let me tell you about my species" - weird, clinical, sounds like a bad sci-fi trope
"Let me tell you about my origin" - vague, elusive, sounds like the start of a long, dull backstory
"Let me tell you about my ancestors" - mysterious, proud, you order another round of ale because this is going to be an epic story

Last edited:

ctorus

Explorer
I understand why they want to drop the term 'race', even though the reality is that races are an inherently fantastical idea, and the races in fantasy games are effectively a gamification of it, albeit (these days usually) shorn of their prejudicial and unpleasant social consequences.

Thus I'm a bit uncomfortable with 'biologicalising' the concept by mapping it onto the term species. After all, in the real world, calling what used to be 'races' species, or incipient species, is exactly what many of of the racists want to do. For that reason I'd prefer an alternative term such as ancestry or lineage.

Scribe

Legend

"Let me tell you about my race" - too personal, impolite, sounds like you're talking to your track coach
"Let me tell you about my species" - weird, clinical, sounds like a bad sci-fi trope
"Let me tell you about my origin" - vague, elusive, sounds like a dull backstory
"Let me tell you about my ancestors" - mysterious, proud, you order another round of ale because this is going to be an epic story

Yeah, please Wizards, please.

TheBanjoNerd

Gelatinous Dungeon Master
I'm all for dropping the term "race" but I don't love the term "species." It sounds too modern. It'll suffice, but hopefully they can come up with something better over the course of the play test. What about "Kind?" As in humankind, elfkind? Clunky, but it feels more in keeping medievalish fantasy lingo.
They could use "Kin" to replace "race" and still refer to "humankind" or "elfkind". Matter of fact, I think I just stumbled on to how I'll be referring to characters from now on.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter

"Let me tell you about my race" - too personal, impolite, sounds like you're talking to your track coach
"Let me tell you about my origin" - vague, elusive, sounds like a dull backstory
The elf fighter is an elf because his or her parents, not ancestors, were elves.

Dire Bare

Legend
Which is a problem for established settings like Eberron that make extensive use of them.
Not really.

The "half-orc" race species character option is going away. But there are already custom species options in the existing rules, and it's likely there will be in One D&D. If you want to play a character with both human and orc ancestry, you will still be able to do so.

No change to Eberron lore at all, really.

Remove ads

Remove ads