• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

One DM, one PC, and four Henchmen

KidSnide

Adventurer
I've thought for a while that 1 or 2 player D&D might be fun if those PCs ran characters that where someplace between a regular 4e character and the gestalt characters from 3e.

What I'd do is let the character choose a primary class and then add all the abilities from the hybrid class of their choice, including extra hit points, class abilities, at-will power and maybe an extra encounter, utility and daily power that they character picks up at certain levels. Then give the character two turns in the initiative order (one at their init +5 and a second turn at init-5). Maybe add a +1 to hit and defenses?

I figure that such a character will be roughly as effective as 2 regular 4e characters would play nicely as the single protagonist of the story (or one of two protagonists). Add companion characters as supporting characters as necessary and run the party through slightly trimmed down modules.

-KS

One of the campaigns I play in is just myself one other PC and our DM. We currently have 4 NPC's with us. The DM plays the NPC's, though we do offer advice about tactical moves before each combat, and level ups etc.

That allows us to still try and build a team that works well together, while the PC's still control the role playing along with the DM. Maybe the DM has an extra hand to push us a direction that he wants us to go, but it's never once felt like that as a PC. So I doubt he does that. I can't think of a time when the NPC's have suggested something without us asking for it, and even then it seemed like the DM was making sure to not influence our decision in the type of answer we got from the NPC's.

It has been fun playing like that. As fun or close to as fun as the other campaign I play in with a 6 PC party.

angille

Explorer
I'm running a game now that's just one player. We've only had character building and a single session so far, but it looks like it'll work out ok. She's playing both a wizard and a 2W ranger, and I'm DMPC-ing a hybrid fighter/cleric.

So like Rechan brought up, the player has the striker and controller, and I've got the leader/defender in the background helping her characters be awesome.

Remove ads