D&D General One Piece of Art- What D&D Art Inspired You to Love a Class?

So good, it inspired a module.

Honestly, paladin would probably have been my favorite class even without this picture, but it sealed the deal for me. The lone hero battling against the hordes of evil? Sign me up!
Not only a module, but an elaborate reference in a China Mieville novel too, that piece of art is basically at the center of one of the characters' world views in the novel Kraken.

I'm actually having trouble thinking of a specific example for a class in D&D, weirdly enough. A lot of stuff inspired me to play specific races or specific kits - ooooh how about Speciality Priests? The Priest of Mask image and description from Forgotten Realms Adventures back in the day convinced me to play that as my very first D&D character.

Unfortunately I'm having difficulty sourcing a decent copy. I'll add one later if I can.

Jack Daniel

dice-universe.blogspot.com
326a0e47b3901efb5e0d258697a4cd89ebad3fe35b260b64b3a968f1c0e0eb00.jpeg

I don't even know who the artist is, but this is a druid. Celtic dude in plaid with a big honkin' sickle. Not some elf chick with green skin and deer antlers. (With all due respect to the Bard—) That's rubbish; this is brilliant; that's an abomination; this is a druid.

pukunui

Legend
Wish I knew the artist, but that picture made me fall in love with the class.
I think that's a William O'Connor piece.

I know every edition has its own pieces of excellent art, but I really do think 2E was the pinnacle.
Some of the best and some of the worst. (2e was my first edition of D&D, so its art will always hold a special place in my heart, even if I tend to conveniently forget that it wasn't all amazing. A lot of it was pretty sexist as well.)

I think that's a William O'Connor piece.

Some of the best and some of the worst. (2e was my first edition of D&D, so its art will always hold a special place in my heart, even if I tend to conveniently forget that it wasn't all amazing. A lot of it was pretty sexist as well.)
Yeah, Tom Baxa. One of my least favorite prolific artist in 2E. His stuff could be interesting, but it too frequently fell into the Aeon Fluxx uncanny valley, with gross sinewy muscles, constipated faces, and mouths that would make an Innsmouth resident cringe. He also had the misfortune of following Brom for Darksun art.

Last edited:

Blue Orange

Gone to Texas
Ugh, Tom Baxa. One of my least favorite prolific artist in 2E. His stuff could be interesting, but it too frequently fell into the Aeon Fluxx uncanny valley too often, with gross sinewy muscles, constipated faces, and mouths that would make an Innsmouth resident cringe. He also had the misfortune of following Brom for Darksun art.

Following Brom for Darksun is tough, I agree. That Druid is one of the most badass-looking druids I have ever seen, though.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
1659734296170.png

Artist: Larry Elmore
Source: D&D Companion Set
Class: Fighter/Paladin (If you know the D&D Companion rules, you know)

Rationale: Dunno. Something about this platemail-clad, sword-wielding warrior of virtue fighting an uphill duel against an agent of Chaos just hit me the right way. Also, I love Elmore's line art.

Remove ads