• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Online CB yea or nay?

Do you like the online Character Builder form Wizards?

fanboy2000

Adventurer
So, it's been out for about 24 hours now. Do you like it?

I do. I didn't experience a lot of crashes. I thought once that it was calculating something wrong, but it turns out it wasn't. It meets my needs for the moment. That said, I'd like to see something more...ummm...full functioning.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Geez... why don't we wait a week for all the panic and the system itself to settle down first before running a poll like this, eh? Talk about putting the cart before the horse... ;)

Dice4Hire

First Post
I did not use the old one and will not use the new one, so neither is good for me.

[MENTION=98938]DeF[/MENTION] And no, more time will not change my answer so I feel free to vote now.

Last edited:

BobTheNob

First Post
Far too early.

2 days out the door and they are having issues...well, ANY software would have issues in this phase. I love the new interface and I thinks it promising

Not voting. I will wait a few weeks before casting any conclusion (which apparently makes me VERY different to alot of people in the community :( )

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Yes: I can use it on machines where I couldn't use the other one.

Yes: my ego likes the fact that people are now acknowledging that we aren't in 08 any more.

Yes: My test charecters (just did a level 6 hybrid) seem to have worked fine. No crashes or obvious errors.

No: I don't like pause, pause, pause, pause...

No: I don't like the dump it all in approach.

No: I don't like the fact that I can't make pdfs and general lack of sharing.

Infiniti2000

First Post
Haven't even tried it yet! And, why is this a public poll? What do you expect to do with the information of how people voted? Are you going to record it and call them out later?

fba827

Adventurer
what is the choice for "indifferent" ?

"Both" and "Neither" imply a good or bad perspective based on the way the question is worded. But that's not the case for those who are indifferent and unaffected by the change; I do play 4e, but my game experience is neither increased or decreased by the change in the online CB.

Last edited:

Vartan

First Post
I voted no. The online CB has a lot of potential but as of now it's a step backwards in terms of functionality.

Good Stuff:

1. It's a web app.
2. It looks amazing and the UI is very user-friendly. I can't complement the WotC developers enough on this point: aside from some nagging performance issues and the absence of some functionality this has all the makings of a great application.
3. It has new content (Essentials and Dark Sun).

Bad Stuff:

1. It's sluggish. Attribute point buys, for example, are frustratingly slow. Sure it's a marvel of modern technology and I'm grateful to live in such wondrous times...but applications are judged by how well they perform and all those lost nano-seconds add up to a noticeable impact on my user experience.
2. House rules are MIA. For instance, a number of campaigns use the "free expertise feat" houserule: this can be accomplished in the old CB but not in the new one. Where is the little "house" button?
3. See this list. Some of these are important (e.g., customizable character sheets, exporting character files, multiple weapon options for an attack).

There's no reason why the online CB can't be even better than the original. I hope they take advantage of the fact that this is a web app by building in some basic social networking features: being able to share your characters with your DM is one obvious feature; having a "rate my character" community feature would rock the world of many a char-op guru.

There's so much potential here, but as of launch day I'm unimpressed because it doesn't perform that well and it lacks important functionality. I'm paying just as much as I always did for DDI but getting a little bit less in return. I know they need to clamp down on piracy, but part of taking anti-piracy measures is creating a valuable product for your paying customers. I hope Wizards makes the online CB at least as robust as the offline CB.

Remove ads