• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Online CB yea or nay?

Do you like the online Character Builder form Wizards?

Holy Bovine

First Post
Haven't even tried it yet! And, why is this a public poll? What do you expect to do with the information of how people voted? Are you going to record it and call them out later?

Every poll should be public. It seems to negate the ability of posters to 'rig' polls by voting dozens of times from one account.

Holy Bovine

First Post
Geez... why don't we wait a week for all the panic and the system itself to settle down first before running a poll like this, eh? Talk about putting the cart before the horse... ;)

Its out and WotC said they had tested it extensively. Turns out they didn't. It's a perfect time for the poll.

No I don't like it at all.

Pseudonym

Ivan Alias
I voted both. It sure is pretty, and has functionality I need, but lacks other functionality I want and crashed more than I would like.

I'd vote "Meh" for now. I'm sure after the bugs are worked out and I have more experience with it my opinion will change either positively or negatively.

Meh.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
I do not like green buttons and ham.

I do not like them, Sam I am.

(in this sense, "ham" refers to the assorted issues already mentioned umpteen times elsewhere)

It's salvageable, in theory, but it would mean scrapping a lot of it and designing it again.

Someday.

Henry

Autoexreginated
It's a "no" for me. I canceled my DDI subscription today, in fact. Last nail in the coffin for DDI and me -- I haven't used or enjoyed any material from Dungeon or Dragon in three or four months, They've altered the compendium to be less usable for me (both in presentation as well as length of search returns) and the new character builder is too slow to calculate, and the point where I noticed I couldn't find an easy way to REMOVE equipment after I'd added it to my character's inventory was the last straw for me.

In fact, the lack of updates for the past three months taught me that I can still enjoy making a character by hand (well, with a PDF sheet, anyway) and I don't need the builder, per se. I'll revisit it in a few months, and if I hear reports that it's improved, I'll re-subscribe, but as of right now, the new compendium, character builder, and magazine content just aren't doing anything for me.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Seems fine to me. The old one wasn't all that fast, and neither is the new web one, so that's a wash.

The new one has a nice Essentials option for printing, which looks nicer than the old character sheets, and since I need the same hack to print to PDF either way, that's a wash. Mild advantage to the new one.

The new one I can accidentally quit my browser, but it recovers the character I was working on. The old one lost data if you didn't save regularly. The new one hasn't crashed on me yet, the old one didn't crash on me, so that's about the same in my limited experience.

I do like how my Mac laptop can use the new web version.

I don't like how my scroll wheel fails to work in the new web version.

I don't like how you have to guess what the initial choices mean, and how you have to abandon all your work if you picked the wrong one (e.g. if you want to see if a character is Realms-legal or Eberron-legal, you need to enter it all over again).

All in all, the new character builder needs some work -- but it's not all that bad compared to the old one, which also needed work.

Cheers, -- N

fanboy2000

Adventurer
why is this a public poll?
Mostly, I just like public polls.
What do you expect to do with the information of how people voted?
Probably the same thing I do with all the information I read here, use it to discuss things that interest me.
Are you going to record it and call them out later?
Hardly. I don't have an ax to grind. If the new CB doesn't meet your needs, I'm the last person on Earth who should get on someone's case about unsubscribing or letting it lapse. I'd be a huge hypocrite!

Every poll should be public. It seems to negate the ability of posters to 'rig' polls by voting dozens of times from one account.
Nice to know!

fba827 said:
what is the choice for "indifferent" ?
Personally, I'd go with "Neither." That's what Dice4Hire did. Seems to work for him.

captainspud

First Post
It does a lot of neat stuff, the things it doesn't do aren't show-stoppers for me, and I'm willing to give Wizards the benefit of the doubt re: adding new features over a few months.

It's not perfect, but overall I'm happy as long as they continue to fix it.

Truename

First Post
No: Without inherent bonuses, it's useless for my campaign.

No: The 20-character limit is a slap in the face. It doesn't affect me personally, but it disrespects me.

(I let my subscription lapse a few weeks ago, so I haven't actually used the new CB yet, so take my vote with a grain of salt.)

Last edited:

Remove ads