Online (MapTool and Ventrillo) - 3.5 D&D "West Marches" style Sandbox game looking for players

ErichDragon

First Post
Blackmire Marches is a "West Marches" sandbox style campaign that has been running for about 2 years now. We have a small core of players with a handful of others that have come and gone, mostly gone at this point, which is why we are opening the game to recruiting.

Lots of information on the campaign so far can be found on our Obsidian Portal Wiki: http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/haven-hinterlands

We started the game with this format as most of the players are professional adults with families and as such have restricted gaming time. There are multiple DMs who run particular 'Regions' of the game world. Players get together on Obsidian Portal forums and decide what they want to do and discuss when they and the DM are available. As much pre-planning is done via Forums so that when we do get together we get moving quickly. Tardiness is a big no-no!

This is a great format as we can play regularly without committing to a specific day of the week, every week. In fact, we have found that we end up playing more often with this format than a standard one day a week or every other week schedule. Any one player does not have to be at every session. Players can have multiple characters at different power levels and with different ambitions. Typically, we currently play evenings Eastern time (around 8pm), but if enough players and a DM are available we can theoretically run a game at any time. I'm willing to get up early occasionally and run or play with some ANZAC folks for example.

We are not full-time gamers and do not like to spend our time in rules debate (well, at least I don't!). The most important thing in our game is to be respectful of others, have fun, and above all be helpful to the campaign. The DMs are players as well, and are not there to be your dancing monkey. Players are expected to contribute to the forums and wiki, look up rules (especially spells or abilities of their own characters) and help manage MapTool tokens while playing.

That's the quick and dirty, tons more information on the specifics of the game and rules are on the Obsidian Portal page.

Post here or PM me with questions or interest and if it works out I can invite you to the campaign.

Here are the standard 16 questions:

1. What game system are you running and if applicable what edition?

3.5 D&D, Core Rulebooks, E6 (Epic 6) variant

2. What 'type' or variant of game will it be ? What is the setting for the game?

"West Marches" style Sandbox game. Setting is the Blackmire Marches lightly homebrewed setting

3. How many Players are you looking for?

Open-Ended

4. What's the gaming medium?

MapTool and Ventrillo (Reliable voice communication is an absolute requirement)

5. What is the characters' starting status?

First Level

6. How much gold or other starting funds will the characters begin with?

Standard

7. Are there any particular character classes, professions, orders, etc. that you want... or do not want?

Core Rulebooks Only (don't ask about anything else, just play what is there)

8. What races, subraces, species, etc. are allowed for your game?

Core Rulebooks Only (again, don't even ask)

9. By what method should Players generate their attributes/ability scores and Hit Points?

Point Buy (Rules on Obsidian Portal Wiki)

10. Does your game use alignment? What are your restrictions, if so?

Yes, to some extent as it applies to spell effects and other rules-based abilities

11. Do you allow multi-classing, or have any particular rules in regards to it?

Allowed per Core Rulebooks

12. Will you be doing all of the die rolling during the course of the game?

No, MapTool will be

13. Are there any homebrewed or optional/variant rules that your Players should know about?

Some minor balance tweaks and custom rules for exploration, stronghold building and overland movement that are all on the wiki

14. Is a character background required? If so, how big? Are you looking for anything in particular?

It is not required but will increase the player's enjoyment of the campaign. The campaign is completely player driven so if your character has no background or motivation, expect them to be sitting at the Inn with nothing happening to them...forever...

15. Does your game involve a lot of hack & slash, puzzle solving, roleplaying, or a combination of the above?

Roleplaying is mostly on Forums. Game sessions are typically 50% combat, 50% Exploration with a few tough areas or 'puzzles' where most of the good loot resides. These areas are typically above the party CR and require special planning, investment, hiring or team make-up to 'crack'

16. Are your Players restricted to particular rulebooks and supplements?

Core Rulebooks plus Feats listed on Wiki

Hilde Schbeiker

First Post
Hi! I'm a newish player willing to join! I don't have the sound commutations you mentioned, but I have skype. If the others are more easy for you and free, I can download them. I have an already made character, a lv 5 rogue. I can edit her to lv 1 easily and send you her sheet if you need it to accept. I really want to join if you'll have me!

-Hilde

Remove ads