Onyx Equinox - new MesoAmerican anime series (Crunchyroll)

Zsong

Explorer
It depends on whether D&D alignment means that the alignment saturates every thought, action, and behavior. That its impossible for someone chaotic evil to ever demonstrate a behavior contrary to it. I don't know that I've ever run a game that way.

Full disclosure, I've long abandoned the concept of alignment, but even in my games before I dropped it, it was more of an aggregate measure of the totality of one's actions and attitudes.

For example, you could have vampire that concealed their transformation and is still extraordinarily loving and fond of the mortal kin they left behind, while being sociopathic and evil towards anyone outside of that group. The aggregate of their alignment would be neutral evil. But towards their former family they could even demonstrate love and kindness. Though over time, their undead nature is likely to further corrupt their beliefs and attitudes until they became abusive or murderous even towards former loved ones.
The first I would have a vampire turn on is their families and those they loved in life. But I like my undead evil to the bone. If they show kindness it’s a ploy. They are the damned.

Dragonblade

Adventurer
The first I would have a vampire turn on is their families and those they loved in life. But I like my undead evil to the bone. If they show kindness it’s a ploy. They are the damned.

Yes, this is likely inevitable as their undead nature corrupts their beliefs and attitudes. Though if they are strong willed, they may resist this for a time. Years ago I ran this scenario in a game, and the PC's came in early enough that there was still some good in the vampire they could appeal to. In the end, through some great role-playing they were able to convince the vampire that it would be better if they let the PCs end their undead existence before they inevitably turned on their own family. The vampire's own vampire master wasn't so understanding though, and they had to fight and destroy them, to free the other vampire from its influence. It was a good game. :)

I could not even begin to possibly understand the tolerance of sacrificing a human being alive, cutting their heart out while they are still living and eating them and giving any moral justification for it. To watch torture a person to death like that is an impossibility for anyone but the most evil.

We put people in dehumanizing concrete prisons and mentally abuse them through a denial of freedom and social contact, while requiring them to survive against other people we've mentally abused the same way. When they're done, we throw them back into society and terrorize turn with the threat of sending them back if they ever disobey us.

And we call it justice.

It's impressive what the human brain can rationalize when you don't think of someone as a person.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
I could not even begin to possibly understand the tolerance of sacrificing a human being alive, cutting their heart out while they are still living and eating them and giving any moral justification for it. To watch torture a person to death like that is an impossibility for anyone but the most evil.

my direct ancestors were cannibals - its not a culinary choice I’d ever consider, but I dont think it makes them particularly evil either.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
my direct ancestors were cannibals - its not a culinary choice I’d ever consider, but I dont think it makes them particularly evil either.
Did they cut the hearts out of children while they were still alive?

Or, honestly the Spanish did stuff I don’t even want to say.

Im comfortable saying a group, even a culture in extreme cases, can be evil. The Conquistadors, Cortez, Columbus, and the Aztec priests, were evil.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
To my knowledge, there is not actually any requirement to denounce the Conquistadors every time something about the "discovering America" era comes up. Their deeds are already well-known.

Zsong

Explorer
To my knowledge, there is not actually any requirement to denounce the Conquistadors every time something about the "discovering America" era comes up. Their deeds are already well-known.
Well we apparently have to denounce lovecraft every time we say we love his literature.

Remove ads