[OOC] Turmoil in Ghelspad [Scarred Lands] (FULL 5/5)

Torillan

First Post
d'Anconia said:
Quick question, I know you tagged this thread as a 3.0 rules game, but I thought that the revised creature collection was 3.5 rules. So I just wanted to clarify which rule set we were using. Also what other sources do you accept?

Since I first posted, that question occured to me as well. I guess it'll end up being somewhere around version 3.30 rules, as some changes appeal to me. Things like most spell revisions, ranger class, and other tweaks that escape my memory at the moment. Go ahead and make characters with whichever version you're comfortable with. If you see any issues or problems that may pop up, run them by me.

For sources, it's the 3 core books, any and all Scarred Lands material, and the FRCS feat & equipment lists. Those are the books I have, so I'd like to limit things to those. I do have the Kalamar Players Guide as well, but hadn't planned on using it. If you have it, and want to use a rule from it, run it by me.

Paxus Asclepius

First Post
Torillan said:
Good point. I'm going to rule that if you invest in a craft feat (or inherent it from a class), you may go ahead and create what you need. Let me know what you end up with (given starting cash) and I'll give a final ruling. Anything within reason will be OK.

After purchasing a masterwork light crossbow for 335 gp, 50 bolts for 5 gp, and a spellbook for 15 gp, I'm left with 2235 for spells and scrolls. I'll likely only buy 5 spells of each level or so, totaling 750, which gives me at least 1485 for scrolls. There are then three ways they can be bought: 1) full price; the feat allows me to possess them at all; 2) 50% cost, the raw materials price, or 3) 60% price, using a 5 gp per XP conversion. At full price, that's 8 2nd level scrolls and 11 1st level, with 10 gp in pocket change. That sound reasonable?

EDIT: Also, what are your feelings on alternate summoned monsters? There was an article in Dragon six or eight months back, with rules on wider ranges of summoned critters; they seem pretty necessary, given that Summon 1 has exactly four choices.

Last edited:

Torillan

First Post
Paxus Asclepius said:
After purchasing a masterwork light crossbow for 335 gp, 50 bolts for 5 gp, and a spellbook for 15 gp, I'm left with 2235 for spells and scrolls. I'll likely only buy 5 spells of each level or so, totaling 750, which gives me at least 1485 for scrolls. There are then three ways they can be bought: 1) full price; the feat allows me to possess them at all; 2) 50% cost, the raw materials price, or 3) 60% price, using a 5 gp per XP conversion. At full price, that's 8 2nd level scrolls and 11 1st level, with 10 gp in pocket change. That sound reasonable?

EDIT: Also, what are your feelings on alternate summoned monsters? There was an article in Dragon six or eight months back, with rules on wider ranges of summoned critters; they seem pretty necessary, given that Summon 1 has exactly four choices.

Go ahead and use option #1, provided you have purchased everything else you need. 10 GP in pocket does give you some incentive to adventure, I suppose. :)

I do have the Dragon mag you're refering to, and I don't see any problem with the additional choices. I'll review the article today, but you may pick from that list also.

Hammerhead

Explorer
I'll play a Lawful Neutral Hollowfaust Necromancer, if that's acceptable. Unfortunately, I don't have the Hollowfaust book, but a straight Necromancer is still always cool.

Alternatively, I'd like to play some type of barbarian. Hmmmm.

Last edited:

Torillan

First Post
Hammerhead said:
I'll play a Lawful Neutral Hollowfaust Necromancer, if that's acceptable. Unfortunately, I don't have the Hollowfaust book, but a straight Necromancer is still always cool.

That will be OK. I will tell you that as of right now, we have a Dwarf Wizard (conjurer) and a Dark Elf Monk/Rogue. Somebody might want to play a front line fighter, but depending on what each of you picks, I can adjust encounters accordingly to see how the party functions as a whole.

Paxus Asclepius

First Post
Do you have Unearthed Arcana? There are a number of things I'd like to use from it if you're willing, including the conjuror variant Enhanced Summoning, the Absent-Minded and Spellgifted traits, and the Noncombatant flaw. If you don't have the book, I can type them up.

Torillan

First Post
Paxus Asclepius said:
Do you have Unearthed Arcana? There are a number of things I'd like to use from it if you're willing, including the conjuror variant Enhanced Summoning, the Absent-Minded and Spellgifted traits, and the Noncombatant flaw. If you don't have the book, I can type them up.

I don't have UA yet, but go ahead and type up what you want to use. I might end up picking a few of them only. Go ahead and e-mail me them instead of posting here (torillan@aol.com) and I'll give you a final ruling soon.

I'd like to try to limit the number of additional rules, but I'm flexible enough to allow some modifications within reason.

Last edited:

Torillan

First Post
Paging Hammerhead & d'Anconia!!!

Still alive as far as I'm concerned. If I don't hear from these guys in the next day or two I'll broadcast for replacements. Characters so far look great! Two dwarves and a dark elf.........excellent (in best Mr. Burns voice). :cool:

Voadam

Legend
Hammerhead said:

I have the book but haven't looked at it in a while. They have special cold weave cloth allowing them to wear black pilgrim/inquisitor robes and not suffer from the Scarred lands specific heat that arcane magic generates. They also have some weak necromantic arcane healing spells.

They are against freewilled undead but otherwise pro-necromancy (including using mindless undead) as the basis of the power that keeps them safe. Necromancers in Hollowfaust also have to serve a lot of govenment functions. As a plus they are friendly with a nearby dwarven clan.

ferretguy

First Post
Just recently picked up scarred lands book on monks and paladins....really sweet feats inside....lots of info. on various monk philosophies....

Remove ads