• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Oops, I failed a Breathe check

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Friends can hear that kind of thing, and friends can also make plans to do things that aren't gaming to spend time together.

Yep.

I don't have ANY problem with people not wanting to play what I want to run. I also don't have a problem with player input. But when it comes time to sit behind the screen, I'm the one who gets the final say in how the game gets run; which RPG system, what HRs, sourcebooks, etc. will be used. Those who don't like it are free to leave or not join in. If there are no takers, I'm free to play a PC in someone else's game. Either way, I'm golden, because I don't take it as a referendum on me as a person.

In our extended group of 12 players, we have never had everyone sign up to play every campaign. Right now, we have 2 active campaigns- a mid/high-level 3.5Ed RttoEE (currently on hiatus) and a 4Ed game being run by one of our newest members.

I don't know if anyone besides the DM loves 4Ed, but for me, even though it doesn't feel like D&D, it's still a fun FRPG to play. Others have opted to play other things until the 3.5Ed DM finishes "recharging his batteries" by playing 4Ed and returns to the other side of the screen.

Last edited:

an_idol_mind

Explorer
I used to use fumble rules, but eventually realized that the "natural 1 is always a fumble" rule was not the best way to go about it. Using that system can be punishing to those who are good at what they do. A fighter with 4 attacks in a round, for example, has 4 separate chances to fumble and look like an idiot while doing what he's supposed to be good at. Same with a wizard who has multiple scorching rays - his odds of accidentally killing one of his companions goes up the more supposedly proficient he gets with his spells.

Maybe showing him the math would help. At the very least, adding a confirmation check to fumbles (not unlike crit confirmations) might be a good compromise.

jbear

First Post
Maybe not at your table.

Sigh. I think you've made your opinion fairly clear. I just hope you don't walk around thinking its universally true. Your gung-ho DM is God attitude would certainly be one I'd react badly to as a player.

As a DM, strangely, or perhaps not so strangely, having never had a gung-ho "I am DM, hence I am God" attitude I haven't run into this kind of problem where my players feel they need to ask advice from the wider RPG community rather than simply talking about it and resolving it in a few moments with their actual DM.

Wiseblood

Adventurer
How about...

No critical fumbles in your shtick.

Fighters: No fumbles on melee attacks

Rogues: No fumbles on Skill Checks

Casters: No fumbles on ??? I'm drawing a blank.

You get the idea.

I enjoy difficult to impossible encounters only when brilliant strategy and tactics can soften them up.

TheAuldGrump

First Post
[Massive Snippage] I like your style man, and I hope I'm not coming off as too offensive here. I like discussion, and I dislike arguments. This post is aimed more for clarity than to be dismissive, and I'm sorry if anything bled through into my text. Thanks for the talk, and another viewpoint. As always, play what you like :)
Again 'It is not about what the players' want... ever' is really hard to misinterpret. I do not see any way to interpret that as 'It is not about what the players' want... ever, unless the GM is just plain wrong, eh?' If he had made it even slightly more flexible, then I would not have a problem, even though this particular thread is specifically about a player who is getting very annoyed with his GM.

In the case of the OP it does sound like the players are at the bitter ends of their patience. At this point taking the stance of 'The GM is always right!' would be a good way to lose the campaign.

I do not always give in to the wants of the players - Hell, I only get feedback from them because I ask for it. (Using a handy dandy sheet from one of the Campaign Planner books.) And I do not ask until the adventure is over.

When Eric (it is always Eric) wants to buy a magic item then he may be disappointed to discover that there is none of that particular item readily available, so if he wants one he will have to commission it and wait for a month. I do not say 'Sure, there is a Frostbreath Broadsword in stock! Let me wrap this up for you!'

When Eric (see, I told you it was always Eric) wanted me to drop Subplots from Spycraft I told him 'No, I like them, and it appears that so do the other players, so cope.' So, he coped. Ironically, he eventually became the biggest supporter of the use of Subplots, adding them to his own game.... (He runs a great Spycraft game, and should do it more often.)

When I suggested adding piecemeal armor (okay, maybe it isn't always Eric), on the other hand, the players pointed out that doing so in the middle of the campaign, requiring everybody to recalculate their AC, redetermine weight and encumbrance, and buy any missing pieces, was going to be a massive pain in the gluteous, well, they were right. It would not have been major at the beginning of the game, but while they were in the field, miles from resupply?

On the other hand, if I tell them that this or that Prestige Class is unavailable, that elves are not available as a player race in my homebrew, that guns are fairly common? I get my way.

As an aside - Eric is also the only player I have that I know reads these boards.... Hi Eric! :p

I have been in three campaigns that broke up because of a GM that tried the My Way or The Highway approach (this means about one a decade).

The first game that I was ever in was reorganized with me as DM because the original DM and his best friend were essentially running the whole party - the DM's BFF cast Charm Person on the whole party, then described what the PCs did, rather than have the players play their own damned characters. He was surprised when he tried the Highway approach only to be told that it wasn't his game any more, goodbye to the both of ye. The game had lasted less than three weeks. The Highway approach really does not work when the game is being held at any place that is not your home.

One game blew up because the GM would get stoned, change a bunch of stuff, forget what the Hell was going on, then get angry when the game didn't go as he had planned. (I will never, ever play with anybody that smokes pot during a game again. It is just not worth it.)

When called on it he had a hissy fit, and in the end everyone walked, including the folks that were getting stoned with him. (I have never smoked pot, in part because I break out in hives if exposed to the smoke - I do not want to think about what it would do inside my lungs. But then, I don't drink much either.) That time the game was being held at the GM's home, but the players still walked.

The third I have already described. There was no concerted plan to end the campaign, just one week no one showed up for the game. :erm: I'd feel bad, but the players did try to talk to him about the problems. More than any other, this is the example that comes to mind reading Pilgrim's post.

A fourth campaign I was not in, but ended up with the disaffected players, then later with the GM himself as a player. This is the only one I know that has a happy ending - he watched what I was doing, asked his players back after apologizing, and has been running his campaign off and on ever since.

He was just plain a control freak, running railroad ride adventures. But he learned. I have played in his campaign, and he is a good GM these days. I could say that I taught him everything he knows, but truthfully, I just showed him how to listen.

I have never had a game fall apart because I was being a dictator. I have had a game where the campaign ended when we realized that none of the original players were still with the group (graduations, jobs, marriages, babies).... So, we did a reboot - I had about a dozen adventures that they had never played in, because they weren't in the original group.

I have had games where the campaign ended because it was done. The BBEG routed, stability restored, the One Ring chucked in the volcano, etc.. It has almost become the norm for me, especially for Spycraft. Most recently a steampunk/gargoyles game using those rules. Not sure these count, because we seem to keep starting new campaigns with the same players. And most recently the teenage children of some of the players. (They have their own game every other Saturday, though we skipped last Saturday for a party.)

I had a Vampire: the Dark Ages game end because we were planning to update to the new! shiny! Dark Ages: Vampire rules, only to realize that we really didn't like the new rules, and had gotten sidetracked because I was running something else while we waited. (Sound stupid? Yeah, it was. We should have just kept on playing.)

The Auld Grump, I seem to have fallen off topic... must be time for food....

Systole

First Post
I used to use fumble rules, but eventually realized that the "natural 1 is always a fumble" rule was not the best way to go about it. Using that system can be punishing to those who are good at what they do. A fighter with 4 attacks in a round, for example, has 4 separate chances to fumble and look like an idiot while doing what he's supposed to be good at. Same with a wizard who has multiple scorching rays - his odds of accidentally killing one of his companions goes up the more supposedly proficient he gets with his spells.

Maybe showing him the math would help. At the very least, adding a confirmation check to fumbles (not unlike crit confirmations) might be a good compromise.

This is actually the problem. It wasn't horrible when we were level 1. Now it's 3-4 chances for a fumble per round. I've really tried to hint that this is perhaps not the best way, but it's just not getting through, and he's not the sort that takes more direct criticism well.

Going back to the "What's a GM's prerogative?" discussion, I have to say that I love criticism. My goal is to run a fun game. When I had a player ask for more RP, I included more RP. Easy. Everyone has fun.

But it's a grey area, as has been previously discussed. There's a semi-freeform PbP game I'm running, and I've had a constant b*tchfest from one of the players, to the point that I've had to fall back on the "Piss off, mate. If you don't like it, find another game, because you're making it so I'm not having fun as a GM and the other players are cool with everything else I've done. So the problem is not me. It's you."

Hussar

Legend
That is the thing. I would not let the players dictate my plots, for example - run roughshod over them, on occasion, but not tell me what they are.

If I come up with a rule that causes more difficulties than it solves then I expect the players to complain. Heck, after a session or two of trying out a rule I will ask them again - sometimes it takes a while to realize that the rules suck.

And I think that I would be bored to tears if I had players that let me get away with being a tyrant.

The Auld Grump - benevolent dictator....

Just a quibble here. Would you allow your players to bring plots to you? I'm specifically thinking of things like backstories here. If the player wants to find his long lost brother, and he brings this to you, is that okay?

I guess, that's different than dictating plots. He's asking for a specific plot and leaving it up to you whether or not you want to run it. To be fair though, there are a number of systems out there where the player specifically is empowered to dictate plot elements to the game master. Fiasco comes to mind immedietely. As do a number of other more Indie style games.

Pilgrim

First Post
Again 'It is not about what the players' want... ever' is really hard to misinterpret. I do not see any way to interpret that as 'It is not about what the players' want... ever, unless the GM is just plain wrong, eh?' If he had made it even slightly more flexible, then I would not have a problem, even though this particular thread is specifically about a player who is getting very annoyed with his GM.
And I stand by that statement regardless of how anyone else feels or any heat I might take from it, because underlying everything else, this is the ultimate outcome.

I run two separate groups on alternating weekends. Each group is comprised of 5-6 players. One group in particular, I've been friends and gaming with since '99. I've been both DM/GM and player for about 20 years now.

More often than not, my players request for me to run. I enjoy running and players seem to genuinely enjoy playing in my games/campaigns. To date, I've not known a single player under my DMing/GMing who has dropped or felt upset due to my running style.

Take from that what you will.

TheAuldGrump

First Post
Just a quibble here. Would you allow your players to bring plots to you? I'm specifically thinking of things like backstories here. If the player wants to find his long lost brother, and he brings this to you, is that okay?

I guess, that's different than dictating plots. He's asking for a specific plot and leaving it up to you whether or not you want to run it. To be fair though, there are a number of systems out there where the player specifically is empowered to dictate plot elements to the game master. Fiasco comes to mind immedietely. As do a number of other more Indie style games.
Heh - in my examples where I used the term 'Subplots' - that is exactly what they are. A mechanism for using back story in a game. :) This is inherent in Spycraft, and gets used about once very other session or so.

I make up the specific details, choose when it drops on the PCs, etc.. Essentially the players sink plot hooks into their characters for me to use at my leisure.

I had one player who hated Subplots, he felt like it was painting a big bull's eye on the top of his head. Meanwhile the other player were having a blast with them. I told him that they were optional, that he didn't need to take one, but he just wouldn't stop complaining.

It actually got to the point where I was thinking about dropping him from the campaign. I had just about made up my mid to do so when I got an e-mail from him, apologizing, and asking for his Subplots back. I gather that the other players had talked to him about it. So, I tried giving him his Subplots back.

I have never, in my life, seen a player change that much, in so short a time. Once he realized that a Subplot wasn't a death sentence, that they could actually be completed.... He has become the biggest fan of Subplots in the games, and uses them in his own games. He is one of my best players, and is very good at weaseling around a plotline, and a good tactician to boot.

Hell, I have a Subplot in his game - I play an recovering alcoholic ex-Mountie that has ties to the courts of the fey.... My Subplot came up in a scenario where the Winter Court had kidnapped a hockey team that had supposedly been killed in a plane crash. We found out about it when the fey came back and stole a Zamboni.... (He now runs a comedic game, and a very good one.)

He is also the fellow who lost his players to my game, joined my game, then regained his players for his game, with me as one of the players. What I like to call a win-win-win scenario. :) He doesn't run his campaign nearly often enough. Comedy is hard! He is much better at it than I am.

His turn around has made me a lot more tolerant, I would have lost a great player if I had given him the boot while he was a bad player. Talking helps, and in this case I wasn't even the one doing the talking.

The Auld Grump

TheAuldGrump

First Post
And I stand by that statement regardless of how anyone else feels or any heat I might take from it, because underlying everything else, this is the ultimate outcome.

I run two separate groups on alternating weekends. Each group is comprised of 5-6 players. One group in particular, I've been friends and gaming with since '99. I've been both DM/GM and player for about 20 years now.

More often than not, my players request for me to run. I enjoy running and players seem to genuinely enjoy playing in my games/campaigns. To date, I've not known a single player under my DMing/GMing who has dropped or felt upset due to my running style.

Take from that what you will.
I will take that with a grain of salt.

The Auld Grump, rock salt. From a quarry. In France. **EDIT* This last is intended to be humorous - I was reminded of Portal 2 for some reason....**

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads