Oops! I think I killed rpg.net

Roadkill101

Explorer
Wednesday night (6/6/07) Enworld went to la la land on me twice while posting a reply and wouldn't even come up most of the time I tried getting back on (3 different pc's, two different zip codes). But rpgnet worked fine (I have an account but have yet to post there, I visit maybe once every 2 weeks).

Festivus

First Post
In the era where you can buy a raid array or mirror setup for next to nothing disk failures puzzle me.

My personal server is just an old Compaq Proliant 6400R. It only cost me $300 total with the hard drives (4x36GB RAID 5 SCSI Array), a tape backup unit, dual power supplies, a server grade network adapter, quad Pentium III Xeon 500 processors and 16GB of RAM. It has fault tolerant everything, you can even hot swap the hard drives (which I had to do not to long ago... it was great).

Of course it eats electricity like it's going out of style but it's a rock solid machine for a web server of fairly significant size.

Kester Pelagius

First Post
Believe it or not there has been a alternative for *checks watch* maybe a little over 12 hours now. I dived off the deep end and created theRPG FunZone. There's even a off-topic forum! (I didn't call it Tangency, though I was tempted. :p )

I've got the latest news about the outage up from Shannon in the News forum. Guest posting is turned on. But it's still a work in progress. Comments and suggestions welcome.

Remove ads