OOTS 369 is up...

Wilphe

Explorer
Well the result of the "Who out of Miko and RedCloak is higher level than the OOTS" looks about to be determined...

It also appears that Redcloak is famous, enough for Miko to recognise him and a use a unique moniker anyway.

Nyeshet

First Post
I don't think that Redcloak is famous so much as his Mantle is famous. She called him 'the bearer of the Crimson Mantle'. That suggests to me that the mantle Redcloak wears may be a minor artifact or some similarly impressive magic item - something so distinct that a member of the Sapphire Guard would recognize it on sight and perhaps know a bit of its lore. It would seem from what she's said that the mantle has some significance among the clerics of some evil deity - perhaps a magic item typically worn by the high priest or some other distinguished figure.

On another note, I found it amusing that Xycon (or whatever the lich's name is) not only is not helping - he's betting against his chief follower. I'm guessing that the lich is correct - after a long(ish) battle Miko will win, but then - weakened - she will face Xycon. Perhaps she will then die, but I'm guessing something will happen that will allow her to escape. Or maybe she will be taken prisoner. As a member of the Sapphire Guard she likely knows quite a bit about the defenses of the city and especially around the Gate itself.

SteveC

Adventurer
Holy crap!

Two main characters come face to face and it's on...and updates on a daily basis too.

Wow!

--Steve

frankthedm

First Post
I sence a disturbance in the farce.

Things lookabout as bad for redcloak than they did for Count Dooku in Ep3. Miko has little hope against Xykon, having used up most of her smites and because her weapons don't overcome lich DR. Xykon, likes having minions to expend though, so if she kills redcloak, Xykon will at least animate her if she does not get away. Perhaps mr. shadow has the Spawn[su] ability.

Miko's HP.
-65 at least taken off for making the will save for harm, made the forts save for massive damage as well.

+XX from lay on hands.

-35HP for the average damage on a saved against destruction. Which also disarmed her... I could imagine she drops at ther start of the next comic, having used that PHB2 feat that gives you one last round.

Last edited:

morbiczer

First Post
I still think this encounter will sooner or later lead to the fall of Miko and her becoming either a blackguard or some sort of undead death knight.

Poor Miko.

MarkB

Legend
frankthedm said:
I sence a disturbance in the farce.

Things lookabout as bad for redcloak than they did for Count Dooku in Ep3. Miko has little hope against Xykon, having used up most of her smites and because her weapons don't overcome lich DR.
Monk levels, remember? So long as she's at least a 4th level monk, her hands are deadly weapons where Xykon's concerned.

Glyfair

First Post
Nyeshet said:
On another note, I found it amusing that Xycon (or whatever the lich's name is) not only is not helping - he's betting against his chief follower.

Well, he has always been the archtype of the mastermind who only cares for his followers as much as they help him.

Klaus

First Post
MarkB said:
Monk levels, remember? So long as she's at least a 4th level monk, her hands are deadly weapons where Xykon's concerned.
I was just about to post that.

And maybe she's using the Complete Divine turn undead variant.

Or Ascetic Knight, so her paladin and monk levels stack for unarmed damage and smite evil.

Wilphe

Explorer
"Well, he has always been the archtype of the mastermind who only cares for his followers as much as they help amuse him."

Xykon is using bad tactics. Sure, Miko would be weak if she wins, making her easy prey for Xykon, but the battle would go more smoothly if Xykon stepped in. 2:1 is better than 1:1 and then 1:weak 1.

Maybe Xykon doesn't want to use up any spell slots.

B9anders

Explorer
Personally, I think Xykon is just a seriously evil bad-ass who is not that arsed if a minion can't take care of himself.

He is of course gonna wipe the floor with Miko if she defeats redcloak.

Agent Oracle

First Post
Wait, if Miko dies, then That reduces the number of people that Belkar could cause the death of. If she falls from paladin-status that ALSO reduces his possible future.

let me consult the all-seeing oracle... ahh, #331.

Miko, Miko's horse, Roy, Varrsuvius, or the Oracle

Since they left the tower without killing the Oracle... i think we can temporarily write that one off... (though he COULD accidentally use a siege weapon... he dosn't have sufficient wisdom to use scrolls... the whole affair would take an extremely unlikely chain of events)

So, Belkar is either going to kill Roy, or Varrsuvius if Miko dies... and you can add miko to that list if She merely falls...

And we STILL don't know what level the Order's characters are!!!

Pbartender

First Post
Agent Oracle said:
So, Belkar is either going to kill Roy, or Varrsuvius if Miko dies...

...or Miko's Horse.

Remember, she sent Windstriker back to the Celestial Realm just before the fight started... And she can't summon back until the next day.

That means he can't help her out in the fight (like he did against the Order of the Stick), but it also means he's completely safe from harm.

morbiczer

First Post
Yeah, but if Miko dies or loses her paladin status she couldn't summon the horse anymore. Which means it would VERY unlikely that Belkar would again come into contact with it.

Pbartender

First Post
morbiczer said:
Yeah, but if Miko dies or loses her paladin status she couldn't summon the horse anymore.

Considering some the liberties he's taken with the D&D rules in order to advance the comic's plot, do you really think that would necessarily make a difference to Rich?

Honestly, if Miko gets into big trouble, whether losing her Paladin status or getting captured or getting killed, I can envision a Lassie-esque strip involving Windstriker hunting down the Order to "ask" them for help.

Hammerhead

First Post
Pbartender said:
Considering some the liberties he's taken with the D&D rules in order to advance the comic's plot, do you really think that would necessarily make a difference to Rich?

Honestly, if Miko gets into big trouble, whether losing her Paladin status or getting captured or getting killed, I can envision a Lassie-esque strip involving Windstriker hunting down the Order to "ask" them for help.

And then Belkar kills it.

WarlockLord

First Post
I really, really hope Redcloak wins. I have calculated the order to be about 12th level. Assuming Miko's around equal level...

Monk4/Paladin10

4d8+10d10+28 (assuming CON 14)= 104 hit points

Smite Evil 3/day

Lay on Hands 20 (assuming CHA 14)

She is looking pretty beat up...

I don't think Xykon's going to let Redcloak die. Xykon will interfere if Redcloak is about to be killed, but will watch the fight play out.

EDIT: Also, the shadow weapon thing is cheering for redcloak...it may reveal itself if redcloak is in trouble.

Last edited:

MarkB

Legend
WarlockLord said:
I don't think Xykon's going to let Redcloak die. Xykon will interfere if Redcloak is about to be killed, but will watch the fight play out.
I think Xykon might be quite happy to let Redcloak die, then raise him as a greater undead. Cuts down on care & feeding, and improves morale and loyalty.

Then again, maybe he's viewing this as a Luke-vs.-Vader fight - if Miko wins, he'll find some way to twist her around into a blackguard and have her take up the Crimson Mantle.

Advertisement2

Advertisement4