• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Oots 633

Nymrohd

First Post
It could be that this fiends, already aware of V's involvement in the plot with the Gates, will simply wait until V gets near one of those and then use him to take over. Since the position of these Gates seems impossible to divine and since the only person who knows where they are (Roy) would trust V, he really is a one in the multiverse chance for these fellows.

PoeticJustice

First Post
The key is that V the length of servitude is related to the length of the soul splice.

V will never be able to walk away from that kind of power. Never.

The key is that V the length of servitude is related to the length of the soul splice.

V will never be able to walk away from that kind of power. Never.

He'll never give it up, and the fiends will want him to have it for as long as he can since it greatly lengthens the amount of time he has to serve them. Let him have the power of 3 epic-level arcane casters for a week, or a year, or even most of his elven lifetime, he has to repay it threefold. If he happens to earn a huge amount of XP during that time and becomes an epic-level caster himself. . .then that just means one more epic-level spirit in the fiends arsenal and he'll be right alongside the three souls he is binding to his service one day.

Miyaa

First Post
The three demons take a part of V's soul? That reminds me of how the banks took parts of mortgages and then bundled them up with other mortgages and then sold them around the world, and thereby precipitated the current economic recession that has affected the whole world. Am I the only one seeing this possible problem here?

WalterKovacs

First Post
One thing to consider about the current situation ... V is talking to three beings, and thus nothing he says to the three of them would count as being said to the "right being" (unless only one of them is the right being, which seems unlikely).

That would, however, make it questionable if this is the complete and total ultimate arcane power V asked for, since it is temporary and while it dwarfs any mortal caster, it leaves the chance of greater power in immortal casters.

Orius

Legend
Ok, I think I get what alignment each of the fiends is now. orange= LE; purple = NE; and yellow = CE. don't you think? look at the souls they each tout, and the second-to-last panel.

Yeah.

Still not sure how this splicing is supposed to work.

It screws V. Utterly. That's all one needs to know.

There are obviously several wrinkles V is not getting. It's quite possible there are several I'm not getting, but...

Of course there are. There always is in a deal with fiends.

Even worse, as I interpret the bargain, nothing that they've said requires the period of time to be consecutive. They can choose to borrow 10 minutes here, and another 10 minutes there as needed.

That works too.

There is one other nasty problem V hasn't considered. Even if he accepts the bargain, he may be too late to save anyone. He may simply arrive in time to wreck vengeance, but his family may already be dead. V has not asked.

May? I'd almost guarantee it. The typical infernal pact always involves you getting utterly screwed anyway, while the fiends gets everything it wants.

The three demons take a part of V's soul? That reminds me of how the banks took parts of mortgages and then bundled them up with other mortgages and then sold them around the world, and thereby precipitated the current economic recession that has affected the whole world. Am I the only one seeing this possible problem here?

Yup. A politics-based thread lock.

PhoenixDarkDirk

First Post

I think it's more like a time-share. Rather than each fiend permanently getting part of V's soul, each one gets the whole thing for a set period.

roguerouge

First Post
V's missing an obvious problem:

1. V kills dragon, saves family.
2. CE demonic spirit takes over, kills family.
3. V has gained absolutely nothing and now has the possibility of a NE or a LE spirit taking over at any time.

Merkuri

Explorer
That would, however, make it questionable if this is the complete and total ultimate arcane power V asked for, since it is temporary...

The Oracle never said he'd keep the ultimate arcane power. I think this is a good way of fulfilling the prophecy without removing V from the comic (because it's widely known that having a super-powerful character as a regular on any plot-centered show/comic is bad news).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads