• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

OotS 634

catsclaw227

First Post
With all the wrong reasons being..... pride and vanity.

Ugh...

"It was pride that changed angels into devils; it is humility that makes men as angels." - St Augustine.

“Vanity is the quicksand of reason” - George Sand.

ArisKatsaris

First Post
"I ... I Must Succeed." Four words.

Which had absolutely nothing to do with her gaining ultimate power: the important thing was to touch the globe, she could have stayed absolutely silent and it'd still work: so how the hell did she achieve power by saying the words?

The Giant is yanking your chain so very hard. If we've seen the four words already, then they were Kubota's killing. I'm open to the possibility we haven't seen them yet.

Which had absolutely nothing to do with her gaining ultimate power: the important thing was to touch the globe, she could have stayed absolutely silent and it'd still work: so how the hell did she achieve power by saying the words?
She said them to herself, to steady her resolve to sell her soul (for a short period) to the outerplanes creatures. So she did say them to the person she needed to. And ultimately, it was the wrong reason. As I posted several strips ago, the word "I must not fail" could also be the 4 words. And given this strip, the person could always have been himself.

I almost wish I could have seen the comic without seeing the title first.

(Yes, I mix male and female pronouns randomly when speaking of V.)

Buck Godot

First Post
The Giant is yanking your chain so very hard.

Alternatively, we might not buy your explanation. Funny ol' internet, inn't? :p

As other people have noted, if V is saying the words to himself (for whatever reason), then the prophesy works.

Besides, when it comes down to it, the four words are irrelevant. They really are, you know. Obsessing whether or not it works really is besides the point, at least IMO. And since I never really obsessed over the four word thing, it really doesn't bother me that it may or may not be Teh Bestest Thing EVAR - I never built it up that high in my mind.

As for the general situation, many many people (including yours trully) saw that this was the time where V sold himself down the river. The fact that he just damned himself due to pride is far more important than whether or not the four words really works.

Something someone once said about Forest and Trees, I believe.

The important thing is that V is screwed at the moment, and it's his own doing. He could have done dozens of things differently before he got to this stage. So instead of talking about the four words, maybe we should be pitying (or castigating if one prefers) V for being in this position in the first place.

Just my two cents, of course. :)

Buck Godot

First Post
That doesn't mean V said the words... only that the strip is about the wrong reasons.

Errrrr.....

C'mon now. :lol:

I know that Epileptic Trees are in fashion in OotS fandom (one look at the official boards would tell one that), but sometimes the answer is staring us right in the face.

There is absolutely no reason to make this more complicated than need be. Especially since one of the fiends up and said (paraphrasing), "you'll have feelings of pure omnipotence"

V (speaking to himself, trying to convice himself, girding his courage to actually do it) was the person that V needed to speak to.

Just how much clearer does Rich need to make this, anyway? :D

Remove ads