• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

oots 639

coyote6

Adventurer
But all those dragons vs. effective level?

Hmmmmmmmm...........

XP is calculated on a per creature (trap/obstacle/whatever) basis; if you kill 4 orcs, you don't look up the EL to get XP, you look up the CR four times to get the XP. Thus, unless some of those dragons were super-duper epic badass, V gets no XP. Since the fiends knew about mama dragon, and what she was capable of, and their initial comment was "no XP", that implies that mama dragon wasn't dangerous enough for XP, so that means any familicide victims that gave XP would have to be way more powerful than the mama dragon. Which seems unlikely, unless Tiamat herself just croaked.

Was big bad (undead head) dragon's age category ever established? It seemed Gargantuan to me, so wyrm or great wyrm, which is CR20 or 22; plus at least 5 or 3 sorcerer levels on top, to get to caster level 18, to get soul bind. Whatever CR she ends up at, V's ECL is at least 8 higher than that.

Last edited:

Scribble

First Post
Wouldn't it be awesome if the reign of dragon destruction continues into next strip... and we suddenly find out that someone very close to V has a little black dragon blood in his/her distant past? ;)

MarkB

Legend
V just needs to cast a wish ("I wish that any of the dragonspawn I just killed that wasn't evil and will not take revenge on me or my family for killing their family would be resurrected") and he's golden again.

Leaving aside the question of whether resurrecting a person makes up for killing them on a moral scale, V can't do that. One of the conditions of the Splice was no replication of Divine spells, even via Wish.

Buck Godot

First Post
I can't seriously believe that some people are trying to say that this wasn't an evil act. Heck this thing bordered on Vile, if not jumping over it with rocket skates.

Yes, he killed a metric ton of Evil. So too do the fiends that take place in the Blood War. Each and every day, they kill dozens, if not more, of heinous Evil. Yet you don't seriously suggest that they are committing good and or neutral acts.

Intent matters in DnD. I can give far too many examples showing it does (starting with committing allegedly good acts to get into the good graces of people, just so you can kill them and take all their stuff). And if one wants to argue that it doesn't in their home games, fine. But it is clear that in Rich's world it does (see the Celestial Interview with Roy).

And this?

This was evil through and through.

==============

Anyway, on a more practical note, I'd just like to point out that the next (supposed) major destination of the OotS when they get back together is the Western Continent. And who happens to be one of the Gods that holds sway there?

Tiamat.

Who now has the potential to be a tad cranky right now... :eek:

Last edited:

Miyaa

First Post
I think it's pretty much evil all the way around. Killing off the dragon's whole family and making her watch certainly is evil. What is especially disturbing is V's lack of restraint now. If this was a good person fighting the dragon, he'd never consider vanquishing that dragon's family after she has died. For one thing, his family was saved by preventing the dragon from killing the family. Now, had V come and found the family already dead, perhaps the revenge against the dragon and the rest of her family might make a little more sense.

Still, good and evil also has to do with restraint. How far do you go with justice before it becomes overkill? I think even killing the dragon's fourth half-dragon/half-centaur (twice removed, I'm sure) is certainly overkill.

Also, "Suvie?" Yup, V's a girl, or a "witch" now, if you know what I mean.

Remove ads