OotS 798

frankthedm

First Post
And maybe die in the process, as he's prophesied to die soon?
And he is not just going to be dead, but never coming back to life dead. :devil: My original bet was on him getting Snarl'ed, but now I suspect he'll be Soulfood for the linear guild's Lizardman Cleric / Souleater.

And he is not just going to be dead, but never coming back to life dead. :devil: My original bet was on him getting Snarl'ed, but now I suspect he'll be Soulfood for the linear guild's Lizardman Cleric / Souleater.

So, you're speculating that Malak is actually a member of the Linear Guild, and has a very specific PrC?

He could just die in a way where they don't have a body (since they do not have access to True Resurrection, just Resurrection), like Disintegrate and having his dust blown away in the wind (not necessarily a spell, random desert wind will do), or Destruction, or just plain being eaten and digested by the allosaurus and the OotS doesn't have time to fish Belkar-bones out of dino droppings.

frankthedm

First Post
So, you're speculating that Malak is actually a member of the Linear Guild, and has a very specific PrC?
Yep. I've had my hunches about that lizardman since he mentioned he had a very special diet. I might be grasping at straws, but Malak would NOT be the first albino with frail health to gain strength from the souls of others.

Oh, it also seems Malak is the name of a Lord of Chaos allied with Elric's Patron Arioch...

Now that the linear guild seems to have an open cleric spot, it seems within the realm of possibility Malak is it.

Last edited:

We also know that Malak is part of Tarquin's inner circle, which makes him being an ally of Nale to be low.

Looking at Soul Eater in the BoVD, where does it say that their victims can never be Resurrected? Yeah, they throw around negative levels like crazy, but IIRC dying by negative levels is a "Death Effect" and while you can't be brought back by Raise Dead, but you can by Resurrection from that, which we know Durkon can cast. Also, Soul Eater gives no continued spellcasting (as it's pretty clearly meant to be a power-up class for monsters), so to be any good at it Malak would have to have traded out a LOT of spellcasting power.

Yeah, there isn't a Linear Guild cleric we've seen yet, and we haven't seen what Durkon is doing, and while there's an off chance it's Malak, I'd say it's unlikely, and being a soul eater is very unlikely. Him being a vampire is another theory I have heard, but haven't we seen him active during the daytime?

Orius

Legend
I'd considered the same thing about Malak myself, since he is a cleric and he's got Durkon tied up atm. Malak as the Linear Guild's cleric opposition for Durkon has one glaring flaw though -- there's that whole bit about Nale killing Malak's children during his little rebellion. Now that could be an act on Malak's part, lizards being cold-blooded and all.

I'm not inclined to believe it though unless he's trying to betray Tarquin, and by extention their associates. They're all looking at Tarquin's scheme over the long term, something Nale never did. They also probably remember how Tarquin's attempt to forge an empire on the Western Continent ended in failure when everyone allied against him. So it doesn't seem likely they'd want to repeat the same mistake with Nale who is not as cunning as his father and is nothing but a glory seeker. So this seems out of character for what we know of Malak unless he's planning a betrayal or something. The possibility of betrayal seems unlikely as well becasue these are Tarquin's former adventuring companions, and he likely trusts them. And Tarquin is cunning enough not to trust people foolishly.

Last edited:

Black Omega

First Post

I don't believe for a moment Belkar is really going to die. Belkar has been the 'PC run by a friend/SO of the GM' most of the strip. There will be some way around it.

SnowleopardVK

First Post
I don't believe for a moment Belkar is really going to die. Belkar has been the 'PC run by a friend/SO of the GM' most of the strip. There will be some way around it.

I believe the Oracle's words were something like "Belkar will take his last breath". He heavily implied that Belkar would die, but I don't think he outright said it.

Maybe Belk becomes undead or something? A creature type that doesn't breathe.

frankthedm

First Post

#572 Seems to indicate Belkar is quite doomed. TBH it will probably be the one of the OOTS comic's coffin nails since Belkar has plenty of fans. Rich even swung a backhand at them in panel #5 of 788.

It will come down to what the fans want vs. the Artiste's vision.

Last edited:

Remove ads