D&D 5E OP Cantrip?

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I have a 3pp cantrip that is a Dex save or be blinded. It's also a bonus action to cast.

It's also a Sorcerer spell with the option to restrict it to Dragon Sorcerers only.

So you can try and blind someone and follow it up with a cantrip with advantage to hit.

I think it's OP as hell. But Sorcerers are often regarded as weak.

Blinded for how long? Just until your next turn? End of your next turn? Start or end of their next turn?

Zardnaar

Legend
At which point you can cast it again, and keep a low-Dex opponent effectively constantly blinded throughout a fight. That's what makes it OP as a cantrip, at least for me.

Yeah both my she who must be obeyed and myself thought it was OP. I thought it was a good spell when I read the effect then noticed the bonus action part.

Might NPC use it only, ancient magic that only NPCs know or only works at certain locations of power.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Answered it earlier. Start of your next turn.

I'd say probably overpowered. That's blinded for not just your attack, but everyone else's attack for an entire turn, for the cost of a bonus action. Too much. That's not far off from the second level spell, which itself is an action to cast. The second level spell has a longer duration but ongoing saving throws each round to end it. In effect, just ongoing castings each round using your bonus action gets the same effect. I'd say it's about a second level spell.

Shiroiken

Legend
A cantrip that cast as an action that dealt some damage (say 1d4 necrotic) and blinded the target until the end of their next turn, or they took damage, would be a fine cantrip, about on par with Vicious Mockery. The 3PP is VERY strong, and even if restricted to a specific type of caster could still cause a lot of problems in game (because at least 1 player is gonna want to abuse it). Said cantrip in a party with multiple rouges would obliterate anyone who failed the save.

Horwath

Legend
How about:

Blinding flash,
Evocation cantrip,
Casting time; bonus action
one target within 30ft,
Target is blinded until the end of your CURRENT turn. Reflex negates.
You can affect 2 targets at lvl5, 3 at lvl11 and 4 at lvl17.

This would be then a simple spell to give yourself advantage on attack rolls(and anyone who readied their attack to this trigger) and opportunity to safely disengage from melee range.

Zardnaar

Legend
How about:

Blinding flash,
Evocation cantrip,
one target within 30ft,

This would be then a simple spell to give yourself advantage on attack rolls(and anyone who readied their attack to this trigger) and opportunity to safely disengage from melee range.

That's a lot better.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
How about:

Blinding flash,
Evocation cantrip,
one target within 30ft,

Yeah, this is better, but I would remove the scaling at higher levels. There are cantrips that don't scale, after all. :)

NotAYakk

Legend
How about:

Blinding flash,
Evocation cantrip,
one target within 30ft,

Still crazy OP.

With the exception of Quicken, cantrips take the place of spending an action to cast a spell, they don't boost them.

This gives you a bonus to possibly a whole pile of attacks. It is super duper insane true strike, and that is only one of the things it does.

Remove ads