Opinions on the Virtuoso

Cloudgatherer

First Post
I have a PC in my game who wants to take this PrC. He's currently a 9th level bard with a cohort. He was considering taking the sorcerer's path instead, as he felt the bard really lacked in abilities from 10th-20th level.

Any thoughts on this PrC? I run a relatively low magic setting, fighting mostly NPCs so far with a few demons and devils thrown in. Any opinions on this class would be appreciated.

Thanks!

UD

First Post
I dont think you continue gaining bonuses to bardic knowledge? If not then thats one of the bards best abilitys out the window...

Crothian

First Post
It's a performiners Prestige Class. It isn't designed for a dungeon explorer. If his character is a performer then it's great for him, but if he's just taking it cause it's the only Bard Prestige class, then I'd steer him away. Bards are great at higher levels. For instance he would need the Bard levels to Inspire Greatness in more then one person at a time. And he does lose Bardic Knowledge.

The Virtuoso itself is a perfectly fine PrCl. I just ahave a pet peeve against players who take a prestige class without being the prestige class.

Cloudgatherer

First Post
In the player's defense, this PrC personifies his character. Taking skill focus perform and already having an obscene perform rating are two of his strong points. In combat, he typically only sings and casts a spell or two: a purely support character and not well designed for dungeon crawling.

Thanks for the feedback! Any more opinions are welcome.

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
I'd allow it - Virtuoso is more powerful than the standard bard class, but bards aren't exactly considered a power class.

If the player's willing to sink the feat for it, let them take it.

Remove ads