• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Opinions please -- New caster class

CerberusAOD

First Post
This is a class I am working on for my upcoming campaign, and the one custom spell for them so far. The end result will be 5 paths, BTW.
I think this is a bit on the powerful side, but I can't seem to decide what to remove...so here it is:

Blood Fetter

Adventures: blahdy blah blah
Characteristics: Blood Fetters were and are the mystical warriors of humanity. Mental resolve, combat ability, and righteousness are qualities held most dear. Sacrificing something of one’s self, even if it is of negligible amount of importance, causes some visceral, fearsome resolve to rise up from the soul. It is this strange combative mood that defines a Blood Fetter more definitively than any other factor.
Religion: N/A (any)
Background: Blood Fetters come from many backgrounds, but the one thing that separates any student from most of the population, is that they must become literate before any learning of their magic is begun.
Races: Any

BAB: 3/4HD
Fort, Ref, Will: 2/5HD + 1
Def: 2/5 HD + 3
Rep: 2/5 HD

Level BAB Fort Ref Will Def Rep Special
1 +0 +1 +1 +1 +3 0 Bonecrafting, Healing or Willful Body
2 +1 +1 +1 +1 +3 0 Bone Focus
3 +2 +2 +2 +2 +4 1 Special Ability (Greater Casting +1 max)
4 +3 +2 +2 +2 +4 1
5 +3 +3 +3 +3 +5 2
6 +4 +3 +3 +3 +5 2 (Greater Casting +2 max)
7 +5 +3 +3 +3 +5 2
8 +6/+1 +4 +4 +4 +6 3 Special Ability
9 +6/+1 +4 +4 +4 +6 3 (Greater Casting +3 max)
10 +7/+2 +5 +5 +5 +7 4
11 +8/+3 +5 +5 +5 +7 4
12 +9/+4 +5 +5 +5 +7 4 (Greater Casting +4 max)
13 +9/+4 +6 +6 +6 +8 5 Special Ability
14 +10/+5 +6 +6 +6 +8 5
15 +11/+6/+1 +7 +7 +7 +9 6
16 +12/+7/+2 +7 +7 +7 +9 6 (Greater Casting +5 max)
17 +13/+8/+3 +7 +7 +7 +9 6
18 +14/+9/+4 +8 +8 +8 +10 7 Special Ability
19 +14/+9/+4 +8 +8 +8 +10 7 (Greater Casting +6 max)
20 +15/+10/+5 +9 +9 +9 +11 8

(Note: the 3/4HD BAB and 2/5HD + 3 Defense will almost certainly stay there, though the saves are up for changes)

Game Rule Information
Alignment: Any
Abilities: Wisdom and Charisma determine the Blood Fetter’s spellcasting ability.
Hit Dice: d6
Class Skills: Alchemy (Int), Concentration (Con), Craft (varies) (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Gather Information (Cha), Knowledge (varies) (Int), Profession (Wis), Sense Motive (Wis), Speak Language (none), and Spellcraft (Int).
Skill Points at 1st level: 4 x (4 + Int modifier)
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 4

Class Features
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Blood Fetters are proficient with the Dagger, Crossbows, Quarterstaff, Short Sword and Shields. They are not proficient with any type of armor.
Spells: Blood Fetters can cast arcane spells from his own spell list. All spells are considered to have somatic and verbal components, but no normal spells need use material components or arcane foci. The Blood Fetter cuts himself, and a small amount of blood rushes forth into a spray before him, which, through coercion by willpower, movements, and specific syllables, forms the proper spell. No damage is taken, as the amount of blood needed is negligible. Most Blood Fetters have a modified thimble on their thumb with which to cut themselves.
Blood Fetters (fet) may only learn spells within their Paths. A Blood Fetter begins with a single Path and knowledge of all 0-Level spells of that path, and a choice of 2 1st-Level spells of that Path.
To learn or cast a spell, the Blood Fetter must have a Wisdom of 10 + the spell’s level. The DC for saving throws against Blood Fetter spells is 10 plus the spell’s level plus the Blood Fetter’s Charisma modifier.
The Blood Fetter’s Spell slots per day is the same as that of the Initiate, and the Blood Fetter gains bonus spells from both Charisma and Wisdom.

Bonecrafting: A Blood Fetter may create various items from bone. To manipulate the bone, he must sacrifice a spell slot of any level each time he works on it (effectively using a cantrip with a duration of concentration). The skill Craft (Bone) is used to make the item. To make any given item, the character must have at least one rank in the appropriate Craft skill, and to make a Masterwork and/or Masterpiece item, the character must have at least five ranks in the appropriate Craft skill, and the item must include the skull of a sentient animal. Any item made with Bonecrafting is treated as though it had been made of mithril (Armor is one category lower, +2 max Dex bonus, armor check penalty reduced by 3, all items weigh 50% less than normal, and have a hardness of 15, with 30HP per inch of thickness).

Healing or Strong Body: At 1st level, a Blood Fetter is in advanced training, possibly with enough proficiency to be let free with his knowledge. At this point, he has almost certainly learned one of two things:
Healing: The Blood Fetter may heal all minor cuts and bruises on his body as a full-round action. This restores 1 hit point, and causes most of the character’s skin to ‘shed’. This process may used once per day per level of Blood Fetter.
Willful Body: The Blood Fetter has learned to focus his abilities through his body, making himself more resilient. Charisma may be used in place of Constitution when determining hit points and the character’s Fortitude save. The character will suffer a -1 penalty to Diplomacy, Disguise, Gather Information, and any roll which would involve the affect of the Blood Fetter’s appearance on others. This penalty increases by -1 with every two additional levels of Blood Fetter taken.

Bone Focus: At 2nd level, the Blood Fetter may create a weapon, circlet, or waistlet (often used by women in the western regions) to focus and strengthen their abilities. One of these implements must be crafted by the caster or one of the Blood Fetter’s family within two generations. It must be crafted of bone from a sentient creature, though other materials (often precious metals and stones) may be used to make it more durable and to decorate it. It is made in an elaborate ritual, in which just less than two pints on blood fills every crevice of the porous bone, and goes through a minor transubstantiation, making this item a focus for the character’s power. If this item is ever removed from the character, he will have no more than one spell slot (and bonus slots) of each spell level he can cast. If the character does not make this item, he will suffer the penalties above.

Special Ability: Every five levels, beginning at 3rd, the Blood Fetter may choose from the following pool of special abilities.
Deceptive Will: The character need only have a Charisma of 10 + the spell’s level to learn or cast a spell.
Greater Casting: The Blood Fetter may sacrifice hit points for more power in a spell. For each two hit points sacrificed, the spell is cast as though the caster had an additional level, up to one third the character’s Blood Fetter levels. When this ability is used, normal dice and bonus maximums do not apply.
Insanely Greater Casting: The Blood Fetter may increase the maximum effective caster level by two.
Path of the Scholar: The Reflex save of the Blood Fetter is reduced by 2, and the character gains 4 ranks in a number of skills, which he has not already purchased ranks in, equal to 5 + the character’s Wisdom modifier. This ability may be taken multiple times.
Pierce Resistances: Any elemental resistances to a spell’s damage are halved.
Spell Resistance: You gain SR equal to 11 + your level in Blood Fetter + Charisma modifier.
Stealth: By spending one temporary point of Constitution, the character may cast a spell without any sight or sound accompanying its casting. If the character’s skin or hair is not in contact with his Bone Focus, this ability will cost two constitution points.
Feat: The special ability may be traded for a feat, provided the feat can be defended by the player as adding to the abilities of the Blood Fetter class.

Blood Fetter Spell List
Notation: Spell Name [level(s)] (Book (if none, assume Player’s Handbook))
Salvation
The Path of Salvation is the way of healing and enlightenment.
Delve [0-3] (WoT). Discover injuries and ailments of target.
Clean [0] (R&R). Cleans dirt and grime from one object or person.
Resistance [0]. +1 on saving throws.
Mending [0]. Makes minor repairs on an object.
Quick Sober [0] (R&R).
Endure Elements [1]. Ignores 5 points of damager per round from Fire or Electricity.
Detect Evil [1].
True Strike [1]. +20 to next attack; but only against Fiends.
Shocking Grasp [1]. Touch delivers 1d8 + 1/HD electricity.
Corruption
The Path of Corruption uses the dark side of human nature to affect others.
Daze [0]. Subject loses next action.
Sneeze [0] (R&R). Cause target to sneeze.
Steal Sleep [0] (R&R). Transfer the need for sleep to target creature.
Endure Elements [1]. Ignores 5 points of damager per round from Cold.
Shade’s Sight [1] (R&R). Subject may look from nearby shadows.
Shield Bite [1] (Custom). Causes masterwork shield made of bone to attack.
Ray of Enfeeblement [1]. Strength reduced by 1d6 + 1/2 HD.
Trigger Rune [1] (R&R). Trigger previously placed magical rune from a distance.
Substitution
The Path of Substitution is one of general utility.
Ray of Frost [0].
Dowsing [0] (R&R). Locates nearby water sources.
Light [0-3] (WoT). Creates a floating globule of cool (blue) light.
Dancing Lights [0].
Hold Portal [1]. Holds door shut.

Custom Class Spells

Shield Bite
Corruption
Level: Fet 1
Components: Focus
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: 10ft
Target: Any hostile creature
Duration: 1 minute/level or 2 attacks/level
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

A masterwork shield of bone contains the skull of at least one creature. When this spell is activated, that skull becomes animated, and floats out approximately a foot from the shield itself, with deep, glowing eye sockets. If any creature moves into the threatened area that is deemed hostile by the caster, that creature is attacked by the floating skull, with a ranged touch attack. If successful, the skull deals 1d6 + 1/level damage (maximum +5) to the target.
+1 Caster Level: If the given shield has multiple skulls upon it, the caster may raise the level of the spell, and for each additional spell level the spell is cast at, another skull may attack. This imposes a -2 penalty to the attacks.

Last edited:

HalfElfSorcerer

First Post
This class is interesting, but...well...it's just odd. I can't see much of a reason for it to exist at all. If you really like it, I would simply say drop the impossible-to-understand spell system (I don't get it!) and increase the BAB to fighter/barbarian. I suppose having equal saves are ok. You could probably adjust the "Special Ability" ability and add non-spellcasting related abilities.

If you hate the idea of dropping the spellcasting, there ain't much I can do. I haven't the slightest clue how it works for this class. You seem to have a max level of 3 on the spell list, which is senseless. You should not attatch two abilities to spellcasting, in your case Cha and Wis. If you had 16 Cha and 16 Wis, for example, your character would have a +6 modifier to spell save DCs, which is impossible for a member of a regular casting class at first level; the max would be +5. Also, there is no spell progression chart. You do say this, however:
The Blood Fetter’s Spell slots per day is the same as that of the Initiate
This could mean two things:
a) The spells per day are the same as the class the character was before they became a Blood Fetter. This makes no sense, because this is a core class. A person taking this class at first level would seem to be able to cast no spells!
b) The Initiate is some other class that I don't know about.
In either case, include a chart or reffer to a more commonly known class. The only thing I can suggest if you like the spellcasting is to use my Battle Mage-style spell list from the most recent issue of Short Sheets (giving my own work a plug here) from the thread below.

All in all, this would be a viable class if the convoluted spellcasting system was changed or eliminated. I don't get this class at all. If someone else does, help me out!

Steven McRownt

First Post
I agree with HalfElfSorcerer ideas. I don't find this class ... playable. But, if you are asking us help, you must help us before, telling us what do you want to do, what kind of ideas have you in mind, and in which way this class will became part of your campaign. When you try to build a class, the most important thing, IMHO, is to find a "fil rouge" (a clear path)...

I Hope to help you better than this with your class... when you will answer to our doubts!

StevenMcRownt

CerberusAOD

First Post
Thx for the replies so far. The spell list is quite incomplete. I have not found a big master list anywhere, so I'm having to go through my PHB, WoT book, R&R, T&B, etc. and patch a list together. It will eventually be a 0-9 level list (I think...I may keep the fighting enhanced more and make a 0-7 level list).

As far as it being odd...yes, it is.

You should not attatch two abilities to spellcasting, in your case Cha and Wis. If you had 16 Cha and 16 Wis, for example, your character would have a +6 modifier to spell save DCs, which is impossible for a member of a regular casting class at first level

It states quite clearly that only charisma is used for the DCs. Though I think since it is blood magic I may as well go w/ Con.

As far as the path for this class...the only arcane casters will be warriors as well. In the campaign, that is how it started out, and it has continued. They will be the only arcane casters, though I will have clerics only slightly modified (reputation, defense bonus, and making the fort save 2/5HD + 1) in there for more standard stuff. The few custom spells I will be making will mostly end up enhancing armor and weaponry (as the one spell already there does)

b) The Initiate is some other class that I don't know about.
The Wheel of Time book. same spell chart as a wizard, but this, unlike the wizard, gets bonus slots from multiple attributes (which ends up making it more powerful early on, but hardly any bonus slots for 3rd and 4th level spells).

Here's a link to the current revision (with a spell progression chart, no less):
http://www.doddstech.com/Blood Fetter.doc

As I work on it and the world it will take more shape, and be less scattered thoughts, and make gradually more and more sense.

Also, here's the short version of magic history:
Long ago, blah blah, shamans and stuff managed to summon and compel weak spirits. Eventually they learned that what they were doing to compel the spirits could do other things on its own, but it was quite dangerous to mess around with.
Fast forward a few hundred years...through the gradual tampering with magic, a portal-thingie-ma-jig was opened up and out came demons and fiends, which had been locked in darkness for ages and ages. The humans had to fight them, and were slowly, at a great cost, winning.
One guy came around and began studying magic with scientific methods and genius that propelled it forward...the end problem being he was also a megalomaniac...hey, no one's perfect, right?:rolleyes:
He discovered that bone, especially the skull, and fresh blood and certain organs had a connection with magical power. His students, since it was the middle of a war, were taught almost as much about fighting as magic, and it wasn't until quite recently that any real scholarly studying efforts really started popping up. Most of it before that was "Bring back a type IV demon head and heart and let's see what we can do with it...try not to die in the process, now..."

Remove ads