Opinions sought: Much younger players?

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Wouldn't be a problem in the style of game I prefer.

Kudos for getting some new blood into the game.

Cheers, -- N

Lonely Tylenol

First Post
Rel said:
My take on it is it's fine to let them play as long as it doesn't bother YOU or the rest of the group. You say that you can dial back the ribaldry by 30% and that's dandy. But do you WANT to dial back the ribaldry by 30%?

I can and have gamed with a lot of younger folks at the Game Days and as a matter of fact, my 6 year old daughter played with a group of us yesterday when we were playtesting AdamantineAngel's game that he plans on running. And I will say that most of those experiences have been very positive. In fact, our Game Days have been going on so long that a couple of young guys who started gaming at those when they were 14 are now going off to college! (Damn I'm getting old!)

But those are not my regular weekly session with my buddies who are my peers where we cuss and bitch and tell dirty jokes. I wouldn't really want to have to curtail that for the sake of letting some 16 year olds join the group.
I've got news for you. 16-year-olds cuss and bitch and tell dirty jokes. You can probably learn some of the new jokes from them.

Lonely Tylenol

First Post
Jeff Wilder said:
Only when she asked. (She asked not out of jealousy, but rather because she's snobbishly ignorant about gaming, and thinks there's no such thing as an attractive woman who plays D&D.)

Wow. I'm glad she's not my wife. My wife plays D&D. And is gorgeous. And doesn't have inadequacy issues.

What a friggin' slap in the face to every female gamer out there. She should be ashamed of herself.

Yes, I believe your girlfriend's reaction was of the over-reacting variety. I also believe you handled the situation perfectly, judging from the way you described it.

1. You got permission from the parent/guardian, and this parent seems to be a reasonable person. I'd say your bases are covered there.

2. You and no one in your group is a mad rapist who needs to be separated from society at large (which includes girls of all ages).

3. You are all getting together to play a game. There is nothing inappropriate about it. In fact, it is exactly appropriate. I would certainly feel comfortable with a person of any age in my group (10 - 83 ... 83 is definitely the upper limit though!!!), so long as they were great to have around and didn't detract from the game experience.

4. Recording anything is nonsense. If your girlfriend feels weird about it, why don't you invite her over to chaperone/play in order to help your new friend "feel more comfortable?" This way, your girlfriend can see your intentions are pure and that the game is actually an innocent one.

5. Finally, craft your game so it is on the PG side of things.

You should probably extend the invite to Mom to drop by any time that she wants during a session. Let her daughter know that too - everything should stay cool.

I remember Black Moria posting about his concerns a couple years ago. It turned out fine. However, if you're able to relocate to a public place like a library or FLGS that isn't a bad way to make it all public and avoid the appearance of a problem. Because honestly it doesn't sound like there is a problem at all. Appearances can be worse than real issues though.

Now, all that aside, I think it's pretty cool that you're letting the younger generation game with you and your players are cool with it too. Congrats!

JRRNeiklot

First Post
Here's my take. If you were shooting hoops or playing softball, would you let them play? D&D should be no different. Also, I refuse to change my game table habits for ANYONE. If I cuss at the table, I'm not gonna change just because there's a woman (or child) present. It won't be the first time they've heard the f word (or last). I think if it was anything besides a roleplaying game, I wouldn't be reading this thread. If their parents are okay with it, let 'em play. If she gets offended because you have a beer in front of her kids, or let fly with a few terms only sailors should be familiar with, she's free to stop them from playing. I'm not saying you should let them drink, or start cussing up a storm, just that if you change your habits just to accommodate kids, your game will take a hit.

Treebore

First Post
As for recording the sessions, I would tell them I want to make the games available on the internet as a "journal" of our game sessions that anyone in the group will be able to access. I definitely would not tell them it is to cover my butt from accusations and criminal charges. That would just happen to be a "side effect".

Steel_Wind

Legend
One point: a 16 years old is not a child. They are adolescents. There is a VAST difference between the two; it is a distinction with a difference, and personally, I wouldn't change my game style of ribaldry at the table much, if at all.

Remembering my games and life at 16, the difference in the "adult" nature of the game in terms of profanitty and sex was that there was more then - not less - than there is now. YMMV of course, but 16 is not a child. Not even close.

Tequila Sunrise

Adventurer
I don't see what the issue is. It sounds like you need to ask your gf why she thinks it would be so innappropriate for you to game with 16 year olds. Maybe she just has a distorted idea of what goes on during a D&D session.

Oh, and I'm willing to bet that that 30% of foul ribaldry that you're planning to eliminate in their presence, the twins already assume and expect that you use and that's part of why they want to play.

Remove ads