D&D 5E Optimal feat for a casting cleric

krunchyfrogg

Explorer
This character probably won’t do a weapon attack unless he’s hiding his abilities or he’s in an anti magic zone.

I’m going variant human cleric of arcana.

What feat at first level?

I’ve narrowed it down to spell sniper, magic initiate (but what to take?), war caster, resilient constitution, I’m really not sure what else is good.

His backstory involves wishing he could become a wizard but found this path instead. Kinda nerdy, not the most sociable guy.

Here are his proposed stats (I’d change if I chose resilient feat)

8/14/14/12/16/10

With resilient constitution:

8/14/16/12/16/8

briggart

Adventurer
Given your backstory I too would go with Magic Initiate, but given how useful Resilient Con is, l would suggest using starting scores

8 14 15 12 16 8

so you can get it later and still take full advantage of +1 Con.

krunchyfrogg

Explorer
Given your backstory I too would go with Magic Initiate, but given how useful Resilient Con is, l would suggest using starting scores

8 14 15 12 16 8

so you can get it later and still take full advantage of +1 Con.

The problem with planning for resilient constitution is that I probably wouldn’t get it until level 12. That’s a long time staring at that odd number. :p

krunchyfrogg

Explorer
I'd say wizard magic initiate. It fits with his backstory, and you get more wizard cantrips.

Sent from my iPhone using EN World
I like this idea for flavor and story reasons. The issue is these spells keying off a 12 intelligence. What spells are worth it that fit this feat and don’t use intelligence?

krunchyfrogg

Explorer
Res(Con) all the way without thinking twice!

I’m beginning to think you’re right.

My hesitation with this feat was that I chose it at first level for a wizard that I played until level 8 a long time ago. I can’t ever remember making concentration checks with that character.

That being said, I’m playing a cleric now with a starting 18 AC. I’m going to want to be near the front line with bless, and spiritual guardians soon, and the likelihood of making concentration checks has gone up.

Thank you.

CTurbo

Explorer
Res(Con) is not a flashy feat, but it is infinitely useful for a Cleric. Starting with 16 Con is icing on the cake. I probably wouldn't take another feat until Wis is maxed, but Magic Initiate would be a perfect fit at level 12 (or 8 if you're good with 18 Wis)

shadowoflameth

Adventurer
I've been playing an Arcana cleric and I would consider Magic Initiate for Find Familiar. I know it sounds sub op but there's value in having that little scout. If your DM allows some of the alternate familiars like a quasit or a Gazer even more fun.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases