D&D 5E Optimizing a bladesinger "tank"

For now, let's set aside the question of whether a bladesinger should be taking on a tanking roll and think about how best to do it. It's an unorthodox group :cool:

The parameters are: a campaign starting at level 1 but likely to go into the upper levels, pure bladesinger wizard, point-buy with feats. The question is how to optimize a bladesinger to survive on the front line as at least a quasi-tank?

• Stat array: 10 16 14 16 10 8 (after High Elf bonuses)?
    • I know that the orthodoxy is to take an 8 in strength, but who wants to be a -1 strength mod weenie?
    • Assuming I do take strength down to 8, what should I raise? Dexterity or constitution to 17 or 15 respectively doesn't get me anything unless I take resilient (dex/con) at some point. (More on that below.) Wisdom 12 adds a point to wisdom skills/saves, which isn't nothing.

• In terms of what feat to take, would Resilient (Constitution) make the most sense?
    • This bladesinger is going to be mixing it up on the front line, and his AC isn't always going to save him.
    • Are constitution saves or dexterity saves more important for a front liner in 5e?
    • What about the war caster feat? A full wizard making spell opportunity attacks is quite a deterrent from trying to walk away from him.
    • With 4 ASIs going to max dexterity and intelligence, he's only going to get one feat

• Lastly, when should I take that one feat? Is it most important to max intelligence and dexterity before taking any feats?
    • If resilient (constitution) is the feat choice, should he take it at 4 to get constitution save proficiency (plus that extra 1 HP per level) as early as possible?

I'm less concerned about how to play the character and more concerned about how to build him. A mix of good AC, SCAG cantrips, a rapier, defensive spells (the usual suspects like shield, absorb elements, mage armor, etc.) and control spells should be fun to play (assuming that I don't get one-shotted by an ogre or something) and potentially effective on the front line.

There are a lot of thoughts and questions here, so I appreciate you sticking with me! I also want to thank all of you in advance for your thoughts and advice!

Yunru

Banned
Banned
Less strength, more Wisdom. You do want to see what you're hitting after all :p

Resilient should be saved for level 12-ish, otherwise Warcaster is better for concentration, plus you can use your sweet SCAG cantrips on OAs.

Int, ironically, can be left to last if you're focusing on the weapon side. Alternatively, ditch the idea of attacking with a weapon, and play it full caster mode. In which case Dex can be left to last.

WarpedAcorn

First Post
We've only had a Bladesinger in the group for a short while, but one thing I have noticed so far is that he either is able to avoid all damage or get hit really hard. The AC is great, but the HP is the true limiting factor I feel. One thing you might consider is the Lucky feat, and saving them purely for defensive purposes. So if you're on the receiving end of a crit, reroll it. Failed a save...reroll it! Sure you don't get but 3 / Long Rest, but like I said, the Bladesinger in our group can stand up to a lot until something eventually breaks through the defenses.

RulesJD

First Post
How to be a Tanky Bladesinger in 2 easy steps:

1. Name your character "Bladesinger McTank"
2. Make your character a Abjuration Wizard/1 Cleric

Thanks for the responses.

Another thought: what if I went with an array of 8 17 14 16 10 8 and took resilient (dexterity)? That would still allow me to max intelligence and dexterity using 4 ASIs while leaving one open for another feat (war caster or lucky, I guess). Which proficiency is more important for a tank: constitution or dexterity? If I take dexterity, that would up the value of war caster, I would think (for the concentration).

@WarpedAcorn you make a very good point. Especially before Song of Defense (I feel like people give this short shrift, but the real gem here is that you can wait to use it until you know that you need it), that D6 hit die keeps you in the danger zone at all times. On the other hand, I've played many an evasion tank in MMOs... I like to live dangerously :cool:

Resilient is generally not very strong early on because it's tied to proficiency bonus. Take Lucky instead.

As others have noted, heavy armor and a splash of Fighter or Cleric will actually get you AC competitive with or better than a Bladesinger while having less stat pressure, less action economy pressure, and less need to win initiative all the time to activate Bladesonger. The key reason to go the Bladesinger route is if you find the idea of being a mobile, lightly-armored and/or sneaky tank cool, and you don't want to be a pure rogue or a shadow monk. It's really a style thing.

cooperjer

Explorer
I don't recall the limitations of using the blade song and if it works with equipped armor. I've found that taking level of cleric can grant you proficiency in medium armors and shields. If the blade song does act as a bonus to AC then I would recommend looking at the cleric paths and find one you like that grants proficiency in medium armor and shields at first level. Then, I'm going to also suggest keeping your Con to a +2 bonus or more. I would also suggest the Tough feat. Set your Dex to a +2 bonus. You can ignore strength if you want. Maximize your Int. I'm going to recommend using a shield and a staff spell focus. If your DM allows you to treat your spell focus as a quarterstaff, then great. If not no big deal. Ensure you take shocking grasp and a couple other spells that are melee spell attacks.

I've played a similar character in AL, but I'm using a Storm Sorc & Tempest Cleric 2 mix. So far, I've found that AC 20 is good about 90% of the time. I can get to an AC 25, but in Storm Kings Thunder, giants can beat that 25. I needed more HP so I took the Tough feat. The bonus HP seems to help a lot.

Ideally, if you use blade song with an Int bonus of +3, and have Shield of Faith, and a Shield in medium armor you're sitting at an AC 23. The Shield spell will kick you to AC 28. This should protect you from a lot, but it takes some time to setup and concentration to maintain.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I don't recall the limitations of using the blade song and if it works with equipped armor. I've found that taking level of cleric can grant you proficiency in medium armors and shields.

Would have been a good thing to check. Explicitly only works in no/light armor and without shields.

Vulf

First Post
Remember, your blade song ends if the enemies grab you and force you to don a shield.

You sure you want to dump strength?

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Remember, your blade song ends if the enemies grab you and force you to don a shield.

You sure you want to dump strength?
You can resist a grab with dexterity (acrobatics). Something for which I believe the bladesong provides advantage.

Remove ads