• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Orc Blood and Double Axe

Wouldn't it be simpler and make more sense of races received Weapon Familiarity for their race's weapons with no further specification? Then any future racial weapon could simply state that creatures with the proper racial Weapon Familiarity can use it. By listing what weapons constitute familiarity, it excludes all others unless otherwise specified.

Gnome

First Post
Feldspar said:
HALF-ORCS
  • +2 racial bonus on Intimidate and Sense Motive checks: Half-orcs are not readily accepted among any race; Half-orcs must quickly learn how to identify allies and discourage challengers in order to survive.
  • Weapon Affinity: Combining the natural aggressiveness and combative nature of orcs with humankinds adaptability and quick learning has produced a race which takes to weapon play like no other. Half-orcs may choose one of the following:
    • Simple: may consider themselves proficient with all simple weapons
    • Martial: may treat any martial weapon as if it were a simple weapon
    • Exotic: may treat one chosen exotic weapon as if it were a martial weapon

I think this new version takes care of any of the cultural issues and instead bases it on a fusion of racial characteristics. So the single class half-orc wizard would only be able to get benefit from taking the Weapon Affinity: Simple. As a wizard they've only had the most rudimentary combat training, yet they have no problems using such simple weapons as longspears and maces. A thuggish half-orc rogue forgets about trying to fence prettily and instead just bashes his opponent with a greataxe, taking advantage of his natural strength and his choice of Weapon Affinity: Martial. The half-orc ranger who is planning to go with the two weapon fighting track eagerly selects Weapon Affinity: orc double axe.

Players may choose any of the options, regardless of what their first class will be; it just might not be useable. For example, a player could select Weapon Affinity: spiked chain and then start as a thief. They would not be able to use the chain as a rogue, but if they later gained a level in a class which gave proficiency in all martial weapons then they would be able to.

Well besides being quite the thread-jack, what do y'all think?

I like it; it seems to help all of the classes fairly equally. I'm not sure if for the martial weapons if you meant one martial weapon or the entire list; I'd make it just one weapon myself.

Since I wanted to continue this discussion further, I created a seperate thread in the proper forum; maybe you can repost your idea there?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads