OrcPub Is An Unofficial Online Character Generator for Dungeons & Dragons 5th Edition

wow...so is this going to stay up or be C&Ded... any bets...

darjr

I crit!
There's a new 5E tool in town, and it's called OrcPub. "OrcPub aims to be the best suite of online tools available for Dungeons and Dragons. We love all the books, dice, miniatures, and the other trappings of table-top D&D and don't intend to replace the awesome experience it provides, but make it more awesome with tools that keep the game flowing smoothly." It's very slick, uses the D&D basic rules, and is even able to export characters to a full PDF character sheet. Not just a character builder, it also includes a spell creator, a class builder, and a race builder.

Screen Shot 2015-12-08 at 17.09.47.png

It's in Beta right now, but you can take it for a spin!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-12-08 at 17.09.47.png
    Screen Shot 2015-12-08 at 17.09.47.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 20,747
Last edited by a moderator:

red-orc

First Post
Nice catches cbwjm, I believe I have now fixed those issues, thanks. (I'm the developer on the site)

red-orc

First Post
Sacrosanct, very true, I'm hoping there are no issues. I've contacted WOTC about getting explicit permission to use the basic rules and the character PDF, but have yet to hear back from them (I'd imagine they have a lot of requests to wade through).

dmdcdubs

First Post
This is really clean and simple. Easy to use. WotC wouldn't or couldn't ever make something like this. I hope it stays up. Nice work.
Would be nice to have a picture box to upload an image of character.

Iosue

Legend
Have the basic rules been released as OGL? If not, just because something is distributed freely, doesn't mean it suddenly becomes exempt from Copyright protection.

There is no safety net of the OGL, but previous 5e character generators were hit with C&Ds until they removed all non-Basic Rules material, after which they were okay.

Beleriphon

Totally Awesome Pirate Brain
There is no safety net of the OGL, but previous 5e character generators were hit with C&Ds until they removed all non-Basic Rules material, after which they were okay.

Which actually makes sense to a degree since the actual rules are available free WotC has no vested interest in stopping expedited character creation using the freely available rules. That might just be an internal policy position (and it appears to be the case) rather than a legal one, but still it doesn't hurt WotC ability to sell anything.

Remove ads

Remove ads