• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Orcs preview

frankthedm

First Post
Wotansman said:
Have they changed the information about alignment? I was thrown off by the Orc's having CE alignments... or is it only for NPC's? I am stuck at an "I don't get it moment." I actually liked the whole good, unaligned, and evil thing they had going.
So what's up with that?
Player have their choices.

Evil, good,and unaligned are still options. The players also probably got chaotic, chaotic evil, chaotic good, lawful, lawful evil and lawful good.

Monsters will vary, but most traditional player foes will be Evil. Most humaniods are not misunderstood beings just trying to survive, they are wicked killers and murdering them makes the world a better place.

Cirex said:
NPCs don't follow same rules as PCs. So that attack bonus could have been set arbitrarily. You know, they wanted the 1 HP minion at level 9 to have this attack bonus, so it's useful enough and a good run for its experience cost.
hmhm... there should be guidelines for that... until now, at least the stat bonuses seemed to follow the rule: half level + 3.5 bonus...

also the attack bonus seems quite high compared to that str 20 orc...

There's a good reason Human Guards use Halberds as their standard weapon, it helps them survive an orc bloodrager with their extra square reach attacks...

hong

WotC's bitch
frankthedm said:
Player have their choices.

Evil, good,and unaligned are still options. The players also probably got chaotic, chaotic evil, chaotic good, lawful, lawful evil and lawful good.

Monsters will vary, but most traditional player foes will be Evil. Most humaniods are not misunderstood beings just trying to survive, they are wicked killers and murdering them makes the world a better place.
Hmm. I can see it now: "Orc: the Barbarian". Orcs as tragic, demon-tainted beings, heroically struggling to transcend the curse of their origin....

keterys said:
Both have attack values of Level + 5 vs AC, which lines up perfectly with what I've been seeing, so that's fair.
kobod minion has Level +4 vs AC... (+5 vs AC, 2 damage)

Vampire spawn (probably outdated) has normal stats for a Level 6 monster... so right now i am confused by those minon's statblocks...

Iron Sky

Procedurally Generated
Minigiant said:
Did anyone realize that a bloodrager, with an eye behind him and a bloodied foe in front, can sit at 10-30 HP for a long time.

Because he can swing at a Feared bloodied foe who kills him and reset back to 10HP. Then hit the guy on his turn and whenever he get gets hit.

better bring rangers and warlocks.

Hm... yeah, Death Strike + Blood for Blood = scary. Of course, he has to hit a bloodied foe to get the hp back, but still. Then if he lives, the Eye uses Swift Arm of Destruction to give the Bloodrager another attack and 15/5 more hp...

The number of attacks rolling of the Bloodrager alone would be enough to put the fear of orcs into melee types, but with an eye next to him too, yikes.

Edit: Add a Chieftain for that extra attack at 0 hp.

Last edited:

Ravingdork

Explorer
Minigiant said:
Did anyone realize that a bloodrager, with an eye behind him and a bloodied foe in front, can sit at 10-30 HP for a long time.

Because he can swing at a Feared bloodied foe who kills him and reset back to 10HP. Then hit the guy on his turn and whenever he get gets hit.

better bring rangers and warlocks.

PC: Die you filthy orc scum!
BloodRager: Dies but is immeditely granted new life and ferocity from the Mystic Eye working magic behind him.
PC: WHAT!? *gets decapitated*

A lot of heroic parties are going to cry when they see this in action. The only balancing factor is the vain hope that the BloodRager will miss on his dying attack.

Rechan

Adventurer
The answer? Squish the Eye before the Bloodrager goes down. ;)

Which is also more than likely, because the rager's going to be up for a looong while.

Although, I really want to see a fight between a Bloodrager and a Paladin, now. Both seem to have the "I can take the damage" going.

arscott

First Post
Demigonis said:
Haha, I guess we know how the "points of light" setting works. The points of light are towns with actual guards, all the unguarded commoner towns already got eliminated.
Candles are points of light in the darkness.

Doesn't mean they can't be blown out by a stiff wind. :bmelee:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads