Orcus of Necromancer Games says "You were right, I was wrong"

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Most clerics dowhatnow?? Every cleric I've ever played or seen had Freedom of Movement memorized, and most had it on a scroll/in a wand/in a ring of spell storing ASAP.

Obviously, playstyles differ, because I rarely see that spell in play. And personally, no cleric I've played has memorized it, much less used it.

I've been in adventures in which a particular spell was required, and no PC had it- sometimes, no PC even had potential access to it.

Which, FWIW, is why I consider any adventure that depends on a particular spell or sequence of spells being cast to be poorly designed unless it has at least 2 backups to the PCs resource pools. IOW, if the adventure requires that kind of specificity, it should provide 2 ways other than the resources the PCs control- treasures or goods such as wands, rings, scrolls, the help of NPCs or even an alternative path or sequence of spells.

Last edited:

Votan

Explorer
If it's a whole adventure, like U3 for example, then I would expect the DM to have made provision for the adventure to be playable. If it's an encounter, even an important one, I wouldn't consider it party screwing at all. Just a bit more challenging. Note that there are still multiple ways to handle an aquatic monster in his element that don't involve the sorcerer casting a lot of spells.

Neutralizing one character or even two for an encounter isn't a party screwover.

Yes. This will always be an issue when the party composition and abilities are varied for a particular module. It may result in creative solutions or it may result in setbacks but a high level 3.5E party without flexibility in magical resources is likely to have many "challenging" moments.

I think this is even more clear at 15th level . . .

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Awesome to see that you finally got these products released! I lament that I no longer play D&D 3.5, so I probably won't buy them, but I'm sure that many will. Welcome back, Clark!

Remathilis

Legend
Most clerics dowhatnow?? Every cleric I've ever played or seen had Freedom of Movement memorized, and most had it on a scroll/in a wand/in a ring of spell storing ASAP. I'd tend to agree about Sorcerors and Water Breathing, but that's what scrolls and potions are for!

I find FoM is a hot/cold spell; some players always keep one on hand for grappling beasties, but others never bother with it. More to the point, they don't have more than one casting prepped.

Hussar

Legend
Obviously, playstyles differ, because I rarely see that spell in play. And personally, no cleric I've played has memorized it, much less used it.

I've been in adventures in which a particular spell was required, and no PC had it- sometimes, no PC even had potential access to it.

Which, FWIW, is why I consider any adventure that depends on a particular spell or sequence of spells being cast to be poorly designed unless it has at least 2 backups to the PCs resource pools. IOW, if the adventure requires that kind of specificity, it should provide 2 ways other than the resources the PCs control- treasures or goods such as wands, rings, scrolls, the help of NPCs or even an alternative path or sequence of spells.

QFT

This is a point that should be remembered by anyone designing an adventure. Never presume that the party will have a given resource. One of my longest running groups in the World's Largest Dungeon had no wizard or arcane caster whatsoever, and used a Favoured Soul for a cleric because the player hated the whole memorization thing.

Meant that any challenge that required something like teleport or fly was pretty much right out.

If "thinking outside the box" will get the job done, then fine, but, if the adventure is atop a floating cloud castle several thousand feet up, then no amount of creative thinking is going to solve the issue.

GVDammerung

First Post
Well, Clark (if I can call you Clark). It’s a start. But you are not done admitting you were wrong, I think.

So. You held back 3X product, hoping to go 4e. And you were wrong.

So. You thought the GSL could be “fixed.” And you were wrong.

Congrats for starting your public confession tour (honestly). But your biggest mistake you continue to defend.

You advocated for 4e and continue to carry a torch for the edition. You are wrong, again, and will eventually admit it. You have been a leading cheerleader for the most damaging (hence worst) edition of D&D, bar none, a fact that will be widely admitted, I think, once 4e is no longer the “current edition.” You have aided and abetted the tulip speculation edition of D&D. You will eventually have to admit and apologize for that to have any shred of credibility as a publisher/public figure.

No. You are not done admitting you were wrong by a long shot.

But its good to see you making a start.

Urizen

First Post
Well, Clark (if I can call you Clark). It’s a start. But you are not done admitting you were wrong, I think.

So. You held back 3X product, hoping to go 4e. And you were wrong.

So. You thought the GSL could be “fixed.” And you were wrong.

Congrats for starting your public confession tour (honestly). But your biggest mistake you continue to defend.

You advocated for 4e and continue to carry a torch for the edition. You are wrong, again, and will eventually admit it. You have been a leading cheerleader for the most damaging (hence worst) edition of D&D, bar none, a fact that will be widely admitted, I think, once 4e is no longer the “current edition.” You have aided and abetted the tulip speculation edition of D&D. You will eventually have to admit and apologize for that to have any shred of credibility as a publisher/public figure.

No. You are not done admitting you were wrong by a long shot.

But its good to see you making a start.

Jeez...

Do you want his first born child too?

God man, chill out.

GVDammerung

First Post
Jeez...

Do you want his first born child too?

God man, chill out.

Clark specifically invited comment.

I hold in my heart a special place for Clark with respect to D&D. He helped sell the tulip bulbs and not dispassionately but with extreme enthusiasm, lending his credibility and that of Necromancer to Wotc - for less than nothing as it turns out. He also went further, derriding any less enthusiastic, and again leveraging and trading on his name and that of his company to help make his case. Clark helped feed the tulip bulb mania. He has started to come clean but hasn't done so yet fully. So, while I applaud the effort, I note there is a ways to go.

Again, Clark specifically invited comment. Otherwise, as I have done of late, I'd have kept my own counsel.

mxyzplk

Explorer
One of the "told you so" squad checking in... Glad to see the product coming out! Keep up the 3.5e/Pathfinder stuff and we'll keep buying it. Maybe a Tome of Horrors re-release for PF to fill in all the post-Bestiary holes. You know who's been good to you...

Remove ads