Oriental Adventures, was it really that racist?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thomas Shey

Legend
It could be I suppose. It's being used incorrectly, but, sure. So long as you realize that a bibliography is a specific thing and does have a pretty specific meaning, as well as a very specific format that isn't used in an inspirational reading list.

Man, "bibliography" has been used more broadly for decades now. Attempt to keep it to the more specific form you're talking about is a long-lost battle at this point.

MGibster

Legend
They were in B.Daltons and Waldenbooks in the 1990s in the Northeast. May have been regional.
It might have been. I worked at Lonestar Comics for a while and it had multiple locations. Some products would do well in one location and not another. My store sold a lot of manga mostly to teenager girls and young women in their 20s but other stores couldn't sell manga for some reason.

MGibster

Legend
Well, it's fairly new. Just give it some time, and someone will find something to be offended by.
I'm going to take this somewhat seriously. This is the truth but that's perfectly okay. As the decades pass, social mores change and what was once acceptable isn't today. Movies that came out when I was a kid like Revenge of the Nerds, Sixteen Candles, and The Breakfast Club all contain material that most of us were cool with back then but many of us would balk at now. Last year, I was listening to a podcast where the hosts were talking about The Venture Bros., a cartoon for adults that aired on Cartoon Network starting in 2005, and they noted that the transphobic jokes revolving around Dr. Girlfriend were unfortunate. Sometimes change happens fairly rapidly.

Dire Bare

Legend
That's insightful and pithy in a way I haven't heard before! Thanks for your contribution to the conversation.
Come on Irlo . . . won't you think of the white artists who can't make a living anymore? /s

More seriously, you can certainly create art and content based on cultures you don't have direct experience with or aren't directly connected to . . . . it's just that today you have to do a little more work than just blind, thoughtless appropriation. You have to do your research, do your best to get the details right, and make damn sure you aren't stepping into negative and harmful stereotypes when creating characters, cultures, and regions for your fantasy/sci-fi stories.

And, not surprisingly, plenty of creators manage to do just that. The problem with Oriental Adventures isn't that TSR dared to create an Asian supplement for D&D without anyone at TSR being of Asian descent, it's that they unintentionally perpetuated systemically racist stereotypes in doing so. That folks can't see the difference still blows my mind.

The Venture Bros., a cartoon for adults that aired on Cartoon Network starting in 2005, and they noted that the transphobic jokes revolving around Dr. Girlfriend were unfortunate. Sometimes change happens fairly rapidly.

I haven't seen this show so not commenting on that specifically but I do think people forget these things are not a steady upward trajectory towards purity. The edgy shows in the 2000s that often ironically weilded a lot of charged language and jokes, were a backlash to the political correctness that had come before it (I think the debut of SouthPark is probably the starting point of this trend, but that is just going by memory). Some of the jokes that became commonplace in the 2000s, would have been unthinkable in the early to mid 90s. And a lot of the tightening around these things in the 80s was a backlash to the openness and gritty violence of media in the 70s. I think you tend to get more of a thesis, antithesis movement over time with media.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads