Oriental Adventures, was it really that racist?

Status
Not open for further replies.

beancounter

(I/Me/Mine)
Well, that's karma for ya.
il_1140xN.3079141675_ggb3.jpg

Random Task

Explorer
For example, not only is the "chilling effect" both incredibly well-known as an academic and legal matter, it was recently discussed in the context of D&D's history with the continued revelations of how TSR was internally adjusting to BADD and other pressures far earlier than was generally known (see, e.g., Game Wizards).
There's also the Hays Code in film and the Comics Code Authority in comic books as examples of industries trying to head off regulation due to societal moral pressures.

At least in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area, by the late 80s and throughout most of the 90s, you weren't going to find D&D in the mall at Waldenbooks, B. Dalton Booksellers, or in any toy store. I do wonder if the controversy surrounding D&D in the 80s led to many retailers deciding carrying the game just wasn't worth it to them.
They were in B.Daltons and Waldenbooks in the 1990s in the Northeast. May have been regional.

Random Task

Explorer
I have to ask. In the current political environment, is borrowing themes from any culture other than Caucasian European taboo?

After watching it for the first time, I was a little surprised that Avatar:The Last Airbender had such a moment in 2020 seemingly without garnering much criticism at all.

Damon Lindelof creating and lead writing Watchmen on HBO was pretty masterful and also didn't seem to get any blowback.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads