D&D 5E Origin New Edition Panel

Phaezen

First Post
Taken from Chris Tulach's twitter feed

Bonus actions - you only get one per turn.

"Warlock and sorcerer are real things."

Warlock is a blend of 3E and 4E warlock. Has spell slots with scaling spells.

Sorcerers use sorcery points, and can use metamagic to modify spells. Can convert spell slots to sorcery points and back.

Wizard has more persistent ongoing spells, sorcerers and warlocks have more "fire and forget" spells.

Draconic sorcerer has transformational powers as well as dragon fear.

Talking now about different subclasses appeal to different edition playstyles - the Battlemaster fighter is an example.

Last three months have been polish. 900 changes made to the PH just from public feedback from alpha playtesters.

Mike on product releases. Starter set for Core+ WPN stores July 3, others on July 15. no character gen - Basic #dnd for that.

Basic #dnd (out in July) going to have player info and rules at first, expanding to MM and DMG materials a little later on.

"PH, MM, and DMG are more like advanced versions of the game."

Mike wrote a sidebar on THAC0 for the DMG! DMG will be more like a "hackers guide" to the game.

Monster stat blocks will reference spells, but otherwise should be self contained.

talking about process of change for the game. Using constant specific feedback from the community to adjust.

#dnd will be more of a living game and a conversation rather than Wizards dictating what the game should be.

Starting next spring, surveys will go out to assess how rules elements of the game are faring.

Trap discussion - traps are more narrative and situational rather than a proscribed challenge system. Examples in the DMG.

Five damage levels for traps in the DMG to help DMs determine trap deadliness for the tiers of play.

Traps are treated more like hazards or terrain features rather than a monster

High level gameplay should be faster due to bonus action rules and concentration mechanic for spells.

Multiple things slowed down #dnd high level play; addressing it from many subsystems. Esp. battlefield effect complexity.

If you want to play a less complex wizard, play one from Basic #dnd. Great for a new player that wants a wizard.

Cantrips are like at-will spells, so casters will always feel like casters.

Downtime activities will be PH. More complex & optional downtime activities will be in DMG. Good way to spend gp

Downtime activities in the DMG create stories that can be seeds for adventures. Going on a crime spree, etc

You can use downtime to find where magic items are, and adventures to obtain them.

Crafting for magic items? It is an optional element that should appear in DMG. Must possess schematic or formula to craft.

Hoard of the Dragon Queen levels 1-8. Rise of Tiamat levels 9-15.

DMG has more optional stuff for combat. Flanking, using characters as weapons, friendly fire, lingering wounds, etc.

looking up troglodytes to illustrate how monsters can be modified to get variety from 1 stat block.

A few varieties for many characteristic monsters in the MM. Enough to help inspire the DM to create more variations

You can approach monster design from a mechanical perspective, or just build it narratively and then adjust numbers

Adventuring is based more around the day. More forgiving for smaller groups

Other starter adventures? The DMG will have Daggerford, including updates as a result of #dnd Encounters play

Beginning of the new edition design, R&D started w/ iconic adventures from all editions to influence the core of the game

Adventures highlighted idea of the three pillars of game: exploration, interaction, combat.

How many adventures? Tyranny has two adventure products, Starter Set, DMG, and lots in #dnd Adventurers League.

More adventures in the future - products focused on story and driving campaigns, less of a "splatbook" approach.

DMG has options for creating your own skills.

Bonds, traits, and flaws drive roleplaying.

No psionics in the PH, but some sorcerers feel like psionicists

DMG will have little bit on campaign settings, including some races as options. Mostly toolbox.

Tension between flavor and mechanics: The core books lean a little more towards flavor.

What are you calling the game? Official name is Dungeons & Dragons. When we're differentiating, we call it the fifth edition of D&D

Errata will be implemented in Basic #dnd and other products.

And that seems to be that.

Last edited:

Warlock is a blend of 3E and 4E warlock. Has spell slots with scaling spells.

Sorcerers use sorcery points, and can use metamagic to modify spells. Can convert spell slots to sorcery points and back.

Wizard has more persistent ongoing spells, sorcerers and warlocks have more "fire and forget" spells.

Draconic sorcerer has transformational powers as well as dragon fear.
Juicy! Can't wait to hear more.

Agamon

Adventurer
#dnd will be more of a living game and a conversation rather than Wizards dictating what the game should be.

Starting next spring, surveys will go out to assess how rules elements of the game are faring.

Hmmm. Does this infer constant rules updates? I hope not, that doesn't work well with physical books.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I removed the color formatting from your post, to make it more readable on the black forum skin. I hope that's okay.

Dannager

First Post
Hmmm. Does this infer constant rules updates? I hope not, that doesn't work well with physical books.

Which is a really great reason to move beyond physical books.

If you ever want to see an end to the edition treadmill, this is the only way that happens.

Cybit

First Post

Doubtful; what I suspect they will do is make sure nothing is super broken, as well as use the feedback to create new alternate systems they can stick into the PDF for players who do want to change.

I want to focus on a really, REALLY important quote

"#dnd will be more of a living game and a conversation rather than Wizards dictating what the game should be."

I think the change away from "rules come first, adjucate corner cases second" to "adjucate first, rules come second" is one that will really change a lot about how people play.

Paraxis

Explorer
Mike wrote a sidebar on THAC0 for the DMG!
Why ohh why! and isn't the fact AC is not capped going to be an issue, I mean you can get a huge negative AC value if you go the THAC0 route.

DMG will be more like a "hackers guide" to the game.
I have heard that before in another interview but just wanted to say how wonderful this is. The DMG is the book I look forward to the most.

Agamon

Adventurer
I kinda hope so, but just for relatively big problems.

I thought the reason for a lengthy development and beta period was to make sure there are no big problems to start with.

If the game was strictly digital, updating from 5.0 to 5.05 to 5.1, etc, is pretty easy and would be great. But not as long as they sell physical media, because that's not cool.

Not to mention, what's a big problem? Some people here think weapon damage not being perfectly balanced is a big problem...yikes.

Remove ads