D&D 5E Origin New Edition Panel

Majoru Oakheart

Adventurer
When Magic Core Set 2015 comes out, Magic fans don't say, "What?! Another edition? So soon... Obviously another play for money that just adds unneeded bloat. I'll just stick with the cards I have. In the meantime, let me run to the forums/my local card shop to make sure everyone knows just how bad a decision this release is."
Of course, the reason for this is because somehow WOTC convinced everyone that the Standard Tournament format(which used to be called Type 2 back in the day) was a way of helping everyone have the best play experience.

For those people who don't know, Standard means only being able to use cards from the last couple of sets and nothing before it. I believe the reason this happened is because in the first couple of sets they printed a couple of extremely overpowered cards and there were relatively low print runs. So playing in a tournament format that allowed those cards meant losing badly to people who owned them. So, WOTC came out with a format that said "Here, we won't allow those really powerful cards to be played". Everyone ate it up. So, now everyone has to constantly buy new cards to keep playing Magic because Standard is by far the most popular tournament format.

The amount of money I've spent on Magic exceeds the amount I've spent on D&D probably 10 or 100 fold. So, when each set comes out, *I'M* the one person saying "This just adds unneeded bloat!" while simultaneously trying to convince everyone else to play casual multiplayer allowing all cards ever printed for fun. Though at this point, everyone is brainwashed into believing "allowing all cards printed" immediately means losing.

I'm kind of torn on whether this model would work for D&D. I want constant new products to come out because I find it helps to keep people interested in the game when there's always something new coming out to reinvigorate their desire to play. On the other hand, it does become kind of over bloated after a while.

The most interesting thing here, for me, is the continuing feedback. That's kind of fascinating, and presumably will shape the contents and nature of future releases.

Sorcerers sound fiddly as hell, I hope they aren't in practice, as they used to be the "simple man's" caster to a large extent.

Most of the other news is broadly positive. I do rather hope they have a ton of more actually mechanically relevant stuff than THAC0 in the DMG, though, given THAC0 here would merely be an amusing obfuscation of the current mechanics.

Still, good stuff.

Cybit

First Post
The most interesting thing here, for me, is the continuing feedback. That's kind of fascinating, and presumably will shape the contents and nature of future releases.

Sorcerers sound fiddly as hell, I hope they aren't in practice, as they used to be the "simple man's" caster to a large extent.

Most of the other news is broadly positive. I do rather hope they have a ton of more actually mechanically relevant stuff than THAC0 in the DMG, though, given THAC0 here would merely be an amusing obfuscation of the current mechanics.

Still, good stuff.

Two of the 12 year olds I run 5E with use sorcerers (unsurprisingly, they both use wild mages), and I don't have to particularly hand hold them. They seem to be the "choose your own difficulty" of the magic classes in terms of complexity, IMO.

Remove ads