'Origin' of Your User Name

Darrin Drader

Explorer
When I left Dark Portal Games, I wanted to remain an active part of these boards, but didn't feel that it would be appropriate to still call myself DPG Darrin for obvious reasons. Rather than going with something unimaginitive (like my name), I went with the name of the large castle I designed for my article "Every Home a Castle" in Dragon 295.

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
Agback said:

IIRC, its use in Army of Darkness was an homage to the classic The Day the Earth Stood Still.

Yup, directed by the great Robert Wise. Klaatu was the name of the human-looking alien. The line was what needed to be said to the robot, Gort, in order to prevent him from destroying the Earth.

DonAdam

Explorer
It's my high school nickname. My real name is Adam, and one day at a debate tournament I drew charicatures (sp?) of everybody on the team.

I don't draw well, mind you, but it was just to poke fun at everybody (everybody took it well, tarry not). I drew myself as "Don Adam Martin, Mafia Crime Lord and the Sexiest Man Alive."

Suffice to say, it stuck. I was henceforth either known as "Don" or "The Don" to everybody. The teacher (Mr. Dennis, aka Poppa D) and a few others used "The Don" so profusely that they even used it in the vocative, as in "Hey, The Don, come check this out."

The nick name quickly exploded into a full fledged mythology about the Don's family. I, the quintessential nerd and anti-socialite, managed to become the center of social existence among the debaters from several schools, simply by arbitrating who was in the family and who were The Don's People (I always take care of my people).

I've known people for months without them knowing that my real name was Adam and not Don, since so many people called me that, and I still answer to "Don" instinctively.

At the time when I signed up here (well actually Eric still ran the place back then...), Trevalon was my character in my pal Ed (Fayredeth)'s game. His companions managed to burn down half of an entire city. His companions started griping when I had to turn them in. "Chaotic Good?! You're not chaotic good, you're chaotic bogus!!"

Eosin the Red

First Post
In micro we were working with stains ~ I really dig bugs ~ one of them was called Eosin. Eosins stain cells red. A few weeks later I was planning an adventure and needed to introduce a character that would later become known as the bloodiest king in the history of the empire. He would earn the tag line "the Red." Seemed like a funny joke to name someone Red the Red so I ran with it.

Later, I started poking around the internet and decided after many tries that all of the cool names were taken. Eosin the Red is never taken.

d12

First Post
pity

I felt sorry for the d12. It totally got the shaft in third edition. You don't need it unless you carry a battleaxe or are playing a barbarian.

And it spins REALLY well.

Knight Otu

First Post
I use two user IDs.

This one is my primary one. Originally I wanted to be Knight of the union, but I figured it would be a bit too long in the long run, so I shortened it and came to like it better.

When we had to re-register for this incarnation of the boards, I had some trouble getting the confirmation mail, and the mail I sent to Morrus apparently did not get through. So I created another account and asked Morrus about it before resending the mail.
Originally, I did not want to use it afterwards, but at some point I decided it would be interesting to use it as a sort of "evil twin", and so Ashardalon was reborn. For those wondering, he is an ancient dragon mentioned in many of WotC's Adventure Path modules.

ConcreteBuddha

First Post
1) I am slightly pretentious.

2) I dig the ramifications of combining "concrete" (a hard, static, real-world substance) with "Buddha" (an otherworldly, abstract, dynamic, enlightened one).

3) It sounds good as an email address. ;)

Ziona

First Post
I enjoy writing & gaming, so I happen to have a baby name book lying around to supply inspiration on names for characters. I was flipping through the book one night when I was creating my character & found the name Zion. Feeling that it sounded too masculine, I added an "A" and thus created "Ziona."

So, Ziona is my user name, but it is also the name of one of my pc's as well. :)

Last edited:

Remove ads