'Origin' of Your User Name

Tsyr

Explorer
shadow said:
Do any of you old-timers remember Super Nintendo. (Yes that was before the days of CD based systems!) There was this old game called Final Fantasy 3. I've always been a big Final Fantasy fan, but FF3 for Super Nintendo has always been my favorite. Anyway, the game featured a mysterious Ninja/Assassin Character known only as Shadow. Being the quintissential mystery man, he quickly became my favorite character.

[hijack]
Actualy, properly, that's FF6... America only imported a few of the earlier games (FF 2 over here was really FF 4, as well), and then for some reason STARTED getting the names right at FF7, resulting in a lot of gamers who don't follow the industry at all wondering where the others went.

My first gaming system wa a C64... well, I guess that's technicly a computer... So make that the original NES (Though I later went back and got older ones too).[/hijack]

I have a friend who has used Atma as his name every since he played that game too... I used "Dave_the_Moogle" for a while, but I got too many questions about what a moogle was supposed to be...

Kesh

First Post
I had gone by a couple different names when I first got online, but at one point I wanted something more... well, interesting. :) During a chat session, I randomly picked the name 'Kesh' out of thin air. I've used it ever since.

It wasn't until a couple years later that I realised I had read the name in a book, Spock's World, prior to that. Ah well.

And no, I've never read the Empire of Kesh books. Quit asking! :D

Jolly Giant

First Post
Skade said:
Skade is a character from my Einherar campaign, named for the norse goddess Skadi (really a frost giant).

She was, as you say, a frostgiant. She got elevated to Goddess-status after marring Njord, God of the sea. She had a pair of magic skies, loved skiing and therefor got to be the Goddess of Skiing. The fact that the vikings actually had a Goddess of skies says a lot about what an important means of transportation skies used to be in Scandinavia...

As to my own username, it used to BFG. That came from a Roald Dahl children's book called 'The BFG (Big, Friendly Giant)'. Since absolutely nobody knew what BFG stood for, I changed it to Jolly Giant.

HellHound

ENnies winner and NOT Scrappy Doo
My original nick WAY back in the old BBS days was either "The HellHound 101" (in Canada) or "J'son BlackHammer" (while living in Atlanta).

The HellHound 101 was a computer virus turned sentient that I created for a science fiction RPG as a DM many years ago that I still thought was a cool idea when I first started BBSing in 1985. Which is pretty funny since back in 1985, the list of known computer viruses was only a couple of pages long. We still logged in using 110 baud modems... I thought I was hardcore because I had a 300/1200 baud modem. Fastest dial-up in town.

At 300 baud, with lousy phone lines, you could actually speed-read text as it scrolled by on non-stop mode on a message board.

Okay... I'm REALLY dating myself here.

So anyways, the HellHound 101 virus (the name was chosen for the mix of high-tech and fantasy texture) was a computer virus in my Traveller game that had been uploaded to a deep-space exploration probe and had become sentient (as had the probe, a la Star Trek episode 1). The virus finally downloaded itself from the probe the a science facility on a water world the party was about to land at...

Anyways, the name stuck, and in Ottawa, where I owned my own BBS for many years, more people knew me as "Hound" or "HellHound" than as Jason... My leather jacket says "HOUND" in big letters on the sleeve, and I used to DJ as DJHound and even when doing body piercing, I used the nickname more than my given name.

hong

WotC's bitch
Mondain said:

Mondain is depicted as a kind of primal barbarian type with a horned helm and looks every bit the evil emperor. I liked this character so much that he is now the villain in my current 3e game (with some creative embellishment) in a world named, yes, Sosaria (Ultima's world before the tyrant Lord British renamed it Britannia Ultima IV, I liked Sosaria better).

Ah, right, in which case you will probably absolutely hate the following site:

Britannia 3E

Hong "will pimp websites for food" Ooi

hong

WotC's bitch
ColonelHardisson said:

Maybe I missed it, but I keep expecting you to sign off as "Hong "Kong" Ooi, Number One Superguy." But I get the feeling that not all American cartoon shows of the 1970s are internationally known.

Well, I sorta wiped that memory from my mind. Although it all came flooding back after seeing the avatar pic the Squirrel gave me on Nutkinland.

Hong "the horror, the horror" Ooi

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
hong said:

Well, I sorta wiped that memory from my mind. Although it all came flooding back after seeing the avatar pic the Squirrel gave me on Nutkinland.

Hong "the horror, the horror" Ooi

Check the link I gave above; it's actually kinda cool, especially if you do know of the original cartoon.

Remove ads