D&D General Original photo of David A. Trampier with his cab, found.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
notes the keen interest in finding and saving lore very bard like.

A Bard was adventuring in a dungeon one day, suddenly, Asmodeus appeared before him.

And lo and behold, Asmodeus made the Bard an offer.....

I will make it so you can sing every song ever made. You will be able to annoy every one you know, and even annoy people that have never met you, and your smugness will be known throughout all these realms. You will not only sing the songs, but other bards will sing about you, such that no one can escape.
....But, in return, you must give me your soul, your wife’s soul, the souls of your children, your parents, your grandparents, all of your friends, and the souls of any who have ever loved you.

The Bard thought about it for a second, then asked .... But what’s the catch?

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Dave Trampier tried to get a Wormy collection published in the mid-1980s, in an early form of crowd-funding. It failed in that he did not get enough people to sign up for it, not that TSR forbade it.
I had the impression there was more to it than just not having enough people sign up for it, though I'm sure that was a factor. It wouldn't surprise me if he couldn't find additional financing or backing for the balance. It also wouldn't surprise me if TSR hadn't been very helpful in the project, which could be a bit disheartening considering TSR had put out a Fineious Fingers Treasury previously. Something had to be eating at him.

I remember being very excited about the project. I thought the letter I got about it failing had a tone to it that suggested some greater disappointment faced by Trampier.
I wonder if I can still find the old Wormy button I got for supporting the project...

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
I had the impression there was more to it than just not having enough people sign up for it, though I'm sure that was a factor. It wouldn't surprise me if he couldn't find additional financing or backing for the balance. It also wouldn't surprise me if TSR hadn't been very helpful in the project, which could be a bit disheartening considering TSR had put out a Fineious Fingers Treasury previously. Something had to be eating at him.

I remember being very excited about the project. I thought the letter I got about it failing had a tone to it that suggested some greater disappointment faced by Trampier.
I wonder if I can still find the old Wormy button I got for supporting the project...
All I remember at this point is that it did not get enough backers (I think the project called them "investors" in a company that had a funny name, in typical Tramp fashion :) ). Of course, something more could be going on behind the scenes. I also recall that Wormy continued in Dragon a good bit of time after the funding failed. That could be due to a backlog of strips, or perhaps my recall is faulty. If/when I find the letters, I may be able to shed more light on timing. And I think I still have the Wormy pin too!

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
1644357412743.png

JediSoth

Voice Over Artist & Author
Epic
I would love to have seen Wormy completed, though I would have lacked the means to invest in such a project back then. The first thing I did when I got that Dragon Magazine CD Archive set was to pull all the Wormy comics out of the PDFs and compile them into my own PDF collection.

I probably should have it printed on a color laser and bound, but the scans aren't that great.

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
Good News: I found my files! I have the material Tramp sent out to the investors in Worm of Dread, Inc.* as well as two short handwritten letters (from January and September 1985) and a postcard (from April 1985). I will see about scanning them and posting them up in a thread. I don't believe there is anything too personal in them.

Bad News (so far): I cannot seem to find my Wormy button yet. I will keep searching for it.

* Incinerator (As I said, true to Tramp's humor!)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases