• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[OT] Are you being tracked online?

Gunslinger

First Post
demadog said:

While I don't have PurgeIE, a "locked" file error generally means that the file is in use by another program. I'd make sure that all instances of IE are closed. If that fails then reboot and run Purge directly afterwards, although some programs may start with the reboot that could still "lock" the file. That's my best advice for the moment....I'll dig a little deeper.

Thanks, runing it with my internet off worked. Although there was abosolutely no reason for the the D&D pics to be locked in the first place because they were from a few days ago...

Breakdaddy

First Post
Not that this thread isnt being beaten into oblivion, but... :D
I do computer work for a living, as a former desktop support person and current server support goober I can say that there are serious and valid concerns about being "tracked" on the internet. A firewall such as Zonealarm or Norton Internet Security's personal firewall are a very good idea, they not only help to prevent incoming malicious attacks, they also help prevent OUTGOING information that may be of dubious use to the unscrupulous (when properly configured). In internet explorer 6.x delete your cookies OFTEN. Yes, this does kill some really cool password caching cookies, but it also kills the crap that "tracks" your internet usage(through cookies). Ad-Aware rocks, make sure you update the ad-aware database as often as possible, new "spyware" comes out all the time. Up and beyond that, I say relax! Unless you have a virus, open shares, and/or remote administration software on your pac (that isnt properly password protected and encrypted) then you are PROBABLY pretty darned safe. Really, I mean it... :cool:

Glyfair

Explorer
I personally use ZoneAlarm as a firewall and use Ad-Aware & then Spybot - Search & Destroy periodically. It's suprising how much slips into your computer just from browsing the internet.

Glyfair of Glamis

Psionicist

Explorer
Horacio said:

Hey, Psionicist, could you please tell me were, for example, my post spoke of the "evil corporation"?

What are you trying to say? There is no spyware software? (then why I routinely remove some hundred pieces of code everytime I pass ad aware in a friends's computer?) There is no hacker wanting to know data about you, specially bankary data? (then why so many people get their cards compromised?) There is no corporation trying to gather info about your tastes to spam you better in the hope you buy more? (of course, spam and publicity mails and browsers ads are only in my deranged mind) No ISP does keep copy of users e-mail? (even if only at random or for investigation issues) No system administrator using-abusing his position to see what kind of sites you browse? (then I must have dream,t it when I worked six month for IBM and was tell that anime sites are not good to visit at work, hey, I was young and innocent, programmer in training...)

Most people just doesn't know better and press "Yes" whenever they are prompted something. Suddenly you install Gator. Whoops.

For the matter, I only quoted the claims from the ****microsoft site.

Horacio

LostInBrittany
Supporter
Psionicist said:

Most people just doesn't know better and press "Yes" whenever they are prompted something. Suddenly you install Gator. Whoops.

Well, that people also deserves respect, don't they?

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads