• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

OT: Buy A Castle, Become a Baron

Knightcrawler

First Post
Plus it has its own band that sorta comes with the castle. The former Baron I guess formed a Scottish band and they are still willing to play for the new owner (for pay of course).

tarchon

First Post
I saw somewhere else that they're expecting to get $16-$18 million US for it (at current exchange rates). I guess my earlier estimate of 50-100 was a bit high, though the land alone has to be worth several million. Apparently, smaller, less notable baronies w/ less impressive castles typically go for £1 million or so.

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
tarchon said:
I saw somewhere else that they're expecting to get $16-$18 million US for it (at current exchange rates). I guess my earlier estimate of 50-100 was a bit high, though the land alone has to be worth several million. Apparently, smaller, less notable baronies w/ less impressive castles typically go for £1 million or so.

Heh...

My guesstimate of $15 million as an acceptable minimum bid isn't far off the mark then, perhaps. If the land price there is more than between £1K and £2K per acre, averaging the less desirable with the prime, then the cost of the estate will be higher than I estimated--$3K per acre.

Cheers,
Gary

Dogbrain

First Post
This very well may be legitimate. According to the website maintained by the 7th Earl of Bradford (http://www.faketitles.com/) Scottish baronies are the only feudal title that can be legally sold in the UK, and the price asked is in a believable range. It's one of those little quirks of Scottish vs. English law.

Bran Blackbyrd

Explorer
Col_Pladoh said:
Thanks, Bran Blackbyrd!
The place has to be very expensive to maintain, and likely taxes are huge too.

Yeah, but I still have my dreams.

Maybe I could earn the money by killing the local orc hordes or something.
Or would that be a case of dangerously confusing fantasy for reality?

Judge: Mr. Lewis, the "orcs" you killed were, in fact, a bus full of senior citizens on a tour of the Scottish countryside. What have you to say for yourself.
ME: Well, I needed gold pieces and the plaid room with the bar looked absolutely excellent.

BTW: The local paper was where I saw the mention of the tartan, moto and coat of arms, etc. *shrug*

Last edited:

TheAuldGrump

First Post
Hmmm, with 5 days left it is still at US $9,000,101.00..

Though personally I would (if I were unbelievably rich) I would go with something more... local, maybe by these folks:
http://www.castlemagic.com/color.html

Ican picture it brooding on a bluff between the blueberry barrens and the north-east coast of Maine.... built of native granite, outlined against a dark and lowering sky...

Well I can dream, can't I? :)

The Auld Grump, though Scotland can certainly supply the lowering grey skies...

Pseudonym

Ivan Alias
Krieg said:
For the record as an American I find the idea of US citizens with European Noble titles quite distasteful.
Perhaps I am confusing things, but it is my understanding that US citizens cannot hold noble title, as this requires allegiance to a foreign power. We can recieve honorary titles, though. I seem to remember a special act of Congress needed to let Ronald Reagan recieve a knighthood, but as I said I may be confusing things.

Off to get more coffee.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Sweet, to be the Baron Hand of Evil, has a nice ring to it. :cool:

Now if I was only Doctor Evil rich...One billion dollars!

Last edited:

Krieg

First Post
Pseudonym said:
Perhaps I am confusing things, but it is my understanding that US citizens cannot hold noble title, as this requires allegiance to a foreign power. We can recieve honorary titles, though. I seem to remember a special act of Congress needed to let Ronald Reagan recieve a knighthood, but as I said I may be confusing things.

U.S Constitution - Article I (The Legislative Branch): Section 9 (Limits on Congress), Paragraph 8:

No Title of Nobility shall be granted by the United States: And no Person holding any Office of Profit or Trust under them, shall, without the Consent of the Congress, accept of any present, Emolument, Office, or Title, of any kind whatever, from any King, Prince or foreign State.

Thus it only applies to individuals holding public office. Private citizens are free to do as they wish.

The list of Americans that have been knighted by the British is pretty long and is primarily famous/powerful/wealthy businessmen/politicians/entertainers (George H.W Bush, Bill Gates, Rudi Giuliani, Allan Greenspan, Bob Hope, Gen Wesley Clark etc).

President Reagen required Congressional consent because he was still in office at the time.

Of course there is always the matter of the original 13th Amendment.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads