• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[OT] Could a Canadian explain this to me?

LostSoul

Adventurer
I always thought it had something to do with provincial lottery laws. Gambling sounds right, too, though.

The questions are always easy.

barsoomcore

Unattainable Ideal
You see, the world governments got together and said, "Those Canadians are already so lucky, living in Canada and surrounded by Canadians and all, we can't have them winning contests and stuff. We need a scheme to reduce the number of Canadians winning contests. Those Canucks are so lucky (obviously) they'll probably win EVERYTHING!"

You see, it all makes sense.

LostSoul

Adventurer
barsoomcore said:
You see, the world governments got together and said, "Those Canadians are already so lucky, living in Canada and surrounded by Canadians and all

I thought we were lucky because we are living in Canada and are surrounded by Americans and all.

Elder-Basilisk

First Post
Maybe it's to make sure they never give out any prizes. After all, people with math skills know that the odds of them winning are too low to consider a lottery a worthwhile way to spend money. Consequently the people who win will not be good at math. So if you require a math test to collect their winnings, none of them will pass :)

Lottery: LOT-ur-ee. (n) A tax on people with poor math skills.

LostSoul

Adventurer
Elder-Basilisk said:
Maybe it's to make sure they never give out any prizes. After all, people with math skills know that the odds of them winning are too low to consider a lottery a worthwhile way to spend money. Consequently the people who win will not be good at math. So if you require a math test to collect their winnings, none of them will pass :)

Lottery: LOT-ur-ee. (n) A tax on people with poor math skills.

Heh heh. If anyone's watched Trailer Park Boys on Showcase, you can probably imagine this happening. ;)

Shadowdancer

First Post
So, OK, if you drink a six of 'batt's in 20 minutes while eatin' a pound of back bacon and a coupla crullers, what's your blood alcohol level, eh?

LostSoul

Adventurer
Shadowdancer said:
So, OK, if you drink a six of 'batt's in 20 minutes while eatin' a pound of back bacon and a coupla crullers, what's your blood alcohol level, eh?

You misused "eh".

You see, you use "eh" when you make a statement that you want someone else to validate.

"Nice day, eh?" that's a common one (when it's not -/+ 30 out).

I lived in Boston for a year and had to teach my buddies how to use it. When my friend got it, I didn't even notice it (except for the laughs of everybody else). Good times, good times.

edit: I don't drink that much beer (when I do, Kokanee all the way!); I drink Rye. Good old Canadian Whiskey. And back bacon is called "ham" in Canada. I have no idea what crullers are, but I've never tasted poutine, either. Although I do like fries & mayo.

Last edited:

dren

First Post
whadya worried about?

The answer is always 17 anyways....all canucks know that, or wait a second, is that before or after we convert into metric.

Umm nevermind, once I check the Official Canuck Handbook on Lottories, Sweepstakes and Gameshows I'll get back to everyone on EN World.

sunbeam60

First Post
LostSoul said:

... SNIP...
I have no idea what crullers are, but I've never tasted poutine, either. Although I do like fries & mayo.

Ahrrrrrrr .... poutine ..... mmmmmmmm ...... gravy ........

regards
Toft

Fast Learner

First Post
It's definitely about making it a test of skill rather than a game of chance. When I was young (like 25+ years ago) there were a lot of US States that required this, too, for that very reason.

They got rid of it everywhere in the US, though, I believe.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads