• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[OT] I'm Back

Vhane

First Post
Alright Big Guy,

Why are we here?

Did we create you or visversa?

If you created us, what are your charicteristics which we were supposed to mirror?

Which would you play a Wizard or a Sorcerer? And...... Why?

BMF

First Post
Nice to see you guys again. Been a little busy up here.

Yeah? What has kept you so busy?

Letting innocent people get killed by the thousands every day?
Watching all 6 billion of us writhe in a downward spiral of disorders, disfigurements, diseases and old age? Do you labor under the helpless cries of the dying?

Do you get off on the conflict you propagate, even today, all around the world? Are you happy with recent events in your hometown (Israel)? Why don't you reveal yourself to those people and tell them how to live peacefully with each other? Why don't you send an angel to deliver a message of peace to your loyal followers? Why doesn't your son return to bring the hammer of Armageddon upon the unholy?

Why doesn't your "scripture" mention dinosaurs? Are they a plot by Satan to discredit you?

Why do so many of your followers feel that they have to kill everyone who doesn't subscribe to your version of religion?

Why do you hate science??

Do you believe in freedom of speech?

Did you think it was funny when the Nazis killed 6 million of your core followers? Was it even more entertaining when the Nazis used your son to propagate anti-Semitism? Why didn't you make the rivers run red with blood in 1942? Where were the towers of flame? The wafers from heaven?

And yes, I know that you are already aware that I say these things. Being omnipotent and omniscient, you knew I would say these things thousands of years ago. In fact it is part of your plan that I should say these things, right?? That's why you sent the events into my life that I've experienced. And since you planned for my brain chemistry and personality to be what they are, you knew how I would react to those events, and how they would shape my opinions. In fact you planned it this way, didn't you? That's why you tell your followers to say things I disagree with, right?

And that's why I'm writing this right now. Because you want me to. Because you are omnipotent, omniscient and you have a plan, so says your holy book.

Of course, it is also possible that you are just a fairy tale, in which case I chose to write this all by myself....

God

Adventurer
I need to remind myself not to get so cocky...
ok, Vhane, here goes:

1) I am, you are, we is.

2) 5

3) Love of Games of Random Chance.

4) Personally, wizards. I've got a thing about books.

Love,
God

Alright, doing my unofficial moderatorial duties, I'm going to warn people to either keep this light-hearted and fun, or to not post at all. We don't want flame wars here.

And by the way, it is generally Christian doctrine that though God knows what will happen, you still have free choice. Just because he knows everything does not mean he controls everything. He knows because he exists outside our time. It's like all of us are dots in a painting, and God's standing nearby and looking at it. He can see all of it, past, present, and future, but he isn't necessarily the artist. God, or so I've heard, does have a plan, but it is within the power of humans to go against his good wishes.

As for human suffering, that's the main part where you seemed bitter, so let's just drop that part. How about we talk about gaming, not real life. And let's definitely not begin getting emotionally incited.

But that is a good question, from a gaming standpoint. Why don't the gods play a bigger role? Is it just that they want people to guide their own way. People's lives, afterall, are short compared to the afterlife, so the suffering in this life is not as important. What's more important is how people react. Maybe gods just want people to have chances to make choices . . . if there was never danger or risk, people could never make a choice between doing good and letting others suffer. Just a few thoughts.

Keep it civil.

God

Adventurer
BMF:
Check out the sig my friend. You've pointed out a lot of valid problems in the world today--unfortunately you guys have free rein to say, do, believe and ignore just about anything you want.

If the window is dirty, don't get hacked off at the sun :)

Look outside, breathe. I know it's hard, especially now, but I know that I myself still try to appreciate the human.

And, uh, Half-Orcs got the shaft! Whoo-hoo! Next!

Love,
God

Last edited:

nick

First Post
spoilsport. We want blood and gore. This is a D&D board, after all :rolleyes: Bring on the crusades and excommunications!

Anyways, God, I assume that your favorite class is the cleric/priest, but do you find them too preachy sometimes? I mean, there's this demihuman cleric in my campaign that is always trying to get us to do the righteous thing, and getting quite cranky when we aren't doing "good". What would you do in this situation?

BMF

First Post
And by the way, it is generally Christian doctrine that though God knows what will happen, you still have free choice.

I've always thought that is a dichotomy of reason. How can god know your thoughts, and the thoughts of every other person who ever lived, is living or will live, and still not know what you are going to do ten years from now?

If god really exists, then freewill is an illusion caused by our inability to see the future. We "think" we are acting out of our own free will, but in reality, god planned it that way.

Think about how each of us affect each other. How can there be a difference between what you may do tomorrow and what god knows the world will be like the day after tomorow?

I know Morris doesn't want us talking about religion, but I think this angle is philosophical.

As for relating it to games, as you might guess, I've never been big on the role of gods in my campaigns. Most of the time they are more like the greek gods, petty, selfish, greedy, and able to be killed. They also don't know anything about the future and are in many cases, mortals who reached "godhood." which is why the gods don't like magic. THey don't want any more gods to contend with.

Last edited:

The Traveler

First Post
Is this, like, the second coming?
BMF said:
I know Morris doesn't want us talking about religion, but I think this angle is philosophical.
You could spare the ENBoards a lot of off-topic grief by going to discuss it here. Trust me, a lot of the people here also read over there...

Last edited:

Remove ads