• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

(OT) NFL Playoffs

Storminator

First Post
Bragg Battleaxe said:
I have seen three or four Raiders fans on here griping about Gruden being a traitor. You guys do realize that Al Davis TRADED Gruden to the Bucs right? Does anyone honestly think he 'wanted' to leave a team that was one non-fumble away from the Super Bowl. In fact, Gruden has essentially given no comments when asked about the situation in interviews.

Gruden never bitches. One of the great things about him. He didn't say anything bad about Jeff George, he just let him go. He didn't say anything bad about Rickey Dudley, he just let him go. Now he doesn't say anything bad about Al Davis, he just left.

And Davis got a pretty impressive package for him.

PS

Maldur

First Post
Please stop thsi. I have no cable (yet) and live in europe so I cant see any American Footbal and it ticks me off mightily:(

So please stop making me insanely jealous:D

takyris

First Post
I'm a Niners fan and I loathe the Raiders, but even I had to admit to having a grudging respect for Gruden when he was there. Now that he's with the Bucs, I like him a bunch. I'm rooting against him again this weekend, but if he beats my Niners, I'm rooting Bucs all the way in the Super Bowl.

What's odd for me is the number of alliances I have to make with other football fans. I spent most of this season rooting for Denver (and what a fat lot of good that did) to convince my wife to root for the Niners with me. At least we were both firmly against Oakland.

Last weekend, I rooted for the Steelers with my father-in-law, and he rooted for the Niners with me. We were both flushed, exhausted, but happy at the end of the day.

And hey, knowing that my Niners will get to lose in Tampa Bay instead of at Lambau field has got to be worth something... :)

-Tacky

Morgion

First Post
Being a European, I do not have the deep rooted fascination for American Football. However in the latter years, where a danish TV station has been showing the NFL on a regular basis, I have been following it off-handedly. But this year I must say, I have seen some very exciting and close games, perhaps IMO the best year ever from a bystanders POW.

Jep, mighty exciting this year the NFL. I've converted from soccor to american football, much more exciting to watch, and the commentaters are awesome, the best in danish TV by far.....

I've even been considering PLAYING AF! But it might be too hard for me with all those hits:) He he.....

Hmmm beginning to think that AF is getting pretty big very fast in Denmark! We might beat those americans in a decade or two:rolleyes: Or not....

shouit

Explorer
NYJ @ OAK

First of all, whomever wins this game will be the conference champ. Both of them have way more emotional edge over the other teams. On the 'D', OAK has a beat up secondary and therefore vunerable to the deep ball but has a very strong front seven, while NYJ are average secondary and front seven. The edge would have to go the NYJ. Both have high powered Offenses, but Pennington doesn't have the strength for the long ball as much as Gannon. I would have to give the advantage of special teams to NYJ. Remember, NE got through the playoffs last year on the strength of their special teams.
Edge: Jets.

PIT @ TEN

Okay, I understand that the record of TEN is very good over the season and that McNair has been playing great despite missing practices and such, but this is a more balanced game then most of the other ones. Both teams again have high powered passing attacks, with George really not contributing as much as he has in the past. On offense I would have to give the advantage to PIT, simply because they have more threats at reciever then TEN. On defense, the edge would have to go to TEN. They have been winning games with their 'D', Shulters is playing as well as anyone. I know PIT has been strong, but last weeks score leads to some questions on PIT 'D'. On special teams, well, Randle El is all I really need to say. PIT has the edge.
Edge: PIT

ATL @ PHI

Alright, I have yet to understand why they haven't renamed ATL to Vick's Team, but alas.:) On the 'D', no question, PHI has the edge, hands down. On the offense, with McNabb still questionable with rust and such, ATL has a slight edge. The deal with PHI is that they have been studing the way TB shut down the Vick show twice. And the problem with that is the fact that TB has fast defensive lineman then PHI, therefore they have a better chance of containment of him. On special teams, again I would have to give the edge to PHI. The most consistant kicker this year.
Edge: PHI

SF @ TB

Okay, first I will tell you that I am a Niner's fan, so take this with a grain of salt. On the 'D' no question TB is stronger. But is the Niner's 'D' strong enough to deal with a mediocre offense in TB. I understand that Gruden came to town to build some sort of offense into TB, and he has been doing great with the personal he has, but it is still poor. Especially if Johnson with a B, out. His status is still questionable. Therefore, the offensive edge goes to SF. Special teams, first off, TB at home seems to do better on special teams then away, but on a side note, TB has NEVER returned a kickoff for a TD. But they have one of the better kickers in the league, with Gramatica. SF special team has been showing up, and that is about it. The special teams goes to TB. On a side note, if SF gets ahead by more then two TD's they win. TB has diffculty coming back.
Edge: TB.

Dr. Zoom

First Post
My Picks:

AFC: Jets beat the Raiders by at least 2 touchdowns; Steelers win in the last minute by a field goal.

NFC: Falcons get thrashed by the Eagles by at least 20 points; and the Buccaneers go down in flames at home by a touchdown.

AFC Championship: Jets/Steelers. A shootout, with the Steelers edging it out by a touchdown.

NFC Championship: Eagles/49's. McNabb and Co. go to the big show by 2 touchdowns.

Superbowl: Steelers/Eagles. Maddox's dream season ends with another Lombardi trophy in Pittsburgh. Steelers win 20-17.

jdavis

First Post
Bragg Battleaxe said:

Well, not in the true sense of the word certainly, but that is exactly the word that most of the media used at the time of the event which is why I used it here.

I don't remember it ever being called a trade, it definatly wasn't. Al Davis didn't want to extend Gruden's contract to pay Gruden what he was worth. Gruden interviewed for the Tampa Bay job, just as several people did (including Steve Mariucci of the 49rs). Al Davis ran Tampa over the coals in order for him to let Gruden out of the last year of his contract. If they had waited till next year they could of gotten him without giving Oakland anything, unfortuantly they fired their other coach and looked like idiots (thanks to Bill Parcells) and had to do something quick. it was in no way a trade he wished to leave Oakland (as many coaches do after working for Al Davis), Oakland let him leave because Al Davis knew he could get money and draft picks out of a desperate Tampa Bay, not in exchange for Gruden but in exchange for letting Gruden out of his contract one year early. Gruden would of been a lame duck in Oakland if he had stayed, now he is one of the highest paid coaches in the league and has 10x the power over team decisions than he had in Oakland. He wanted to leave and Al Davis got a deal he couldn't refuse to let him go, if not he would still be in Oakland coaching this year and unhappy about it. (Deep Breath)

Some things to look at is that Steve Mariucci turned down the Tampa Bay job, Mariucci and Gruden are good friends, they were both assistant coaches under Mike Holmgren in Green Bay, Mike Holmgren was a assistant coach in San Fransico before going to Green Bay. It's like "a family affair". These two coaches know each other up and down and will be completely prepared for this game. There is a lot of history between the two of them and 49rs organization.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads