[OT - Olympics] Ashamed to be Canadian

barsoomcore

Unattainable Ideal
No, this has nothing to do with the whole figure-skating fiasco, but thank heavens THAT's over with.

It's hockey. It has been made abundantly clear that hockey just is no longer a game at which Canadians excel. We are hopelessly outclassed by even the Americans at this tournament. We're not going to win a medal, again.

Nor should we.

It's strange, though, that the game remains so embedded in our national identity -- even though we're just not very good at it any more. No sport tugs at my heart like hockey. And I feel sorry for the great players of decades past whose proud tradition has been left to rot.

Wow, bitter much? Sorry, had to rant. Feeling much better now. No, really. Sigh.

PenguinKing

First Post
barsoomcore said:
even though we're just not very good at it any more. No sport tugs at my heart like hockey
Maybe we can't put together a decent team, but we still produce a lot of good individual players - there's a reason 80% of the players in the NHL are drawn from either Canada or the former USSR. ;)

- Sir Bob.

P.S. Nih!

Memory

First Post
I think it's time for Canadians to relax a little. Canada didn't play well in tonight's win, and it's disappointing, but I think this is a bit of an overeaction. Canada has the best team in the tournament on paper, but in a tournament this short it's the team that gels the most quickly and develops good chemistry that will win. It's not a good basis for determining which countries produce the best hockey players. Maybe it's this kind of pressure that's affecting their play.

Even if Team Canada had lost to Germany I don't think I'd be ready to say I'm ashamed to be Canadian.

MulhorandSage

First Post
I'd be disappointed if we Canadians displayed poor sportsmanship as opposed to poor play. The team showed how good it could be in the second period tonight. They might not gel in the rest of the tourney, but then again, they might.

In any event, the "shamed if I lose" mentality leads to such things as the Ben Johnson steroid scandal and the French figure skating judge allegations. It's better to be shamed in honest competition than disgraced like that.

Scott Bennie

Last edited:

Agamon

Adventurer
For the last month I couldn't help but roll my eyes at the stupid commercials the beer and soda companies have made. What a load of garbage; they make it look like it's not if Canada will take the gold medal, but how badly we're going to destroy the other teams. Gimmie a break. Who won the last Olympic gold in hockey? Not Canada, the Czech Republic. Who won the last World Cup? Not Canada, the US.

Sure, we have a chance to win it, but no more than the Russians, Americans, Swedes, or Czechs. But after the shellacking from the Swedish team, and barely beating the Germans, they either have to start to play to their ability, or they're toast.

And why, oh, why didn't Gretz name Roy as one of the first eight all those months ago? As a result, Canada has 3 of the worst GAAs in the NHL this year to choose from to play between the pipes.

DWARF

First Post
Yeah, that was really dissappointing.

Heh, get this, a guy in my group is SO into hockey he skipped 3 hours of our gaming session this last friday to watch the game against sweden. Heh, let's just say that the group faired far better against the undead and ogres in "The Root of All Evil" then team Canada did, luckily.

Dragonblade

Adventurer
As a U.S. hockey fan, I think Canadians are great hockey players! Canada has a great team! :)

Basically, I think that in this modern hockey age there are so many good players coming out of Europe, Canada, and the U.S. that it will no longer be possible for any single one country to utterly dominate. Especially when you consider that so many good players from all over the world are playing together in the NHL and getting world class experience. Most of these Olympic teams are composed of NHL pros. And the exceptions are the teams who are getting their tails kicked. But Canada, Slovakia, Czech, U.S., Russia, etc. are all NHL people. So in that company I think its going to be a pretty tough competition for everyone.

Nik_the_Pig

First Post
Short-course speed skating

Not hockey but...

Did you see the short-course speed skating! Not 100% sure it was the Chinese blokes fault (looked to me as if the Yank had his hand in it) but...

AUSTRALIA won a medal, a GOLD medal! Fluke, yes, even Bradbury said so (well he said he wasn't the best skater there and he said he felt sorry for the other skaters).

I mean how likely that the other 4 skaters all botch their skating rolls =)

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
My only gripe about hockey in general is I wish they'd use THESE rules in the NHL. Still I have to admit to being a tad suprised at Canada's performance against the Swedes. Even without Forsberg, they really dominated. The Russians have a good team too. I still think the Americans COULD have won if they hadn't slacked off, BUT the Russians did everything right too. Just lucky Ritcher bailed out team USA or it would have been a bad night then. Course it would have helped IF our big name guys had actually put some effort into some shots.

Trellian

Explorer
OK, so you canadians may not win gold in hockey, but you sure is big favorites in curling!!

anybody knows who won the bridge tournament ? lol...

Remove ads