[OT - Olympics] Ashamed to be Canadian

Teflon Billy

Explorer
I'm with Barsooomcore here...hockey is a big part of what canadian Identity I have, and the lack of ability we are seeing from this team is like a punch in the gut.

Short Track speed skating may well be the sport I tune into next time...the matches I've seen have been exciting as all hell.

LcKedovan

Explorer
Well... I'm certainly not ashamed, a bit dissapointed maybe (Being a Canadian Living in Germany). At least I can really wind up my colleagues :D..

The one thing I think people need to remember as well is that the Olympic Hockey team is a bunch of superstars all thrown together a few weeks before the Olympics, where as a number of other teams have played together more... and let's not forget one word that can also have an effect "Ego"... We have amazing individual players, but we really need a "team".

-Will

Michael Morris

First Post
Re: Re: [OT - Olympics] Ashamed to be Canadian

PenguinKing said:
Maybe we can't put together a decent team, but we still produce a lot of good individual players - there's a reason 80% of the players in the NHL are drawn from either Canada or the former USSR. ;)

- Sir Bob.

P.S. Nih!

Now y'all know how us here Kentucky boys feel 'bout football. Take a close look at the rosters of the Florida, Tenessee, Alabama and other programs and you'll see a lot of Kentucky boys on their teams. That doesn't change the fact that the University of Kentucky's football team can't even win when it's cheating, let alone playing legit.

Ashtal

Vengeance Bunny
Would I like them to do well? Sure I would. But I only hope that they will play their best. My Canadian Identity won't be shattered if they don't get gold, or even a medal.

Come on...this whole Hockey in the Olympics sucks anyways. These are not amateur athletes anymore. All the top teams are rife with professionals. I really don't care who started it - but it's just not olympic anymore. It's just sickening. :p

DwarvenBrew

First Post
Ashtal said:
Come on...this whole Hockey in the Olympics sucks anyways. These are not amateur athletes anymore. All the top teams are rife with professionals. I really don't care who started it - but it's just not olympic anymore. It's just sickening. :p

I agree completely, I would rather see the U.S. college/amateur athletes lose in Hockey and Basketball then watch our best professionals win. All star games get crappy ratings for a reason, and now the Olympics are no different.

Shadeus

First Post
I heard during the US vs. Russia match that the NHL will be adopting the 15 second face off rule. They didn't have any specifics, but that's what the rumor is.

med stud

First Post
Ashtal said:
Would I like them to do well? Sure I would. But I only hope that they will play their best. My Canadian Identity won't be shattered if they don't get gold, or even a medal.

Amen.

GreyOne

Explorer
Hey! We're dominating in women's hockey!

As to the Canadian team, I think there are a number of factors. European players as a whole know how to play on the larger ice surface. I mean just look at the games played. Its not North American hockey at all. Little hitting, long bomb passes, etc. That can only benefit European players.

Another factor is the "team". Most of those teams are composed of players who have played a lot together. They've geled faster.

Its also partly the picks. Certain players should not have been called and others should have. Joe Thornton for one.

Remove ads