• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[OT] Redefining "Geek"

shadow

First Post
Although the word "geek" was originally a deragotory term, it recently has been come to be used as a term to describe a specific subculture of people, without any negative connotation. Many members on this board frequently refer to themselves as geeks. Some of them do so with a strong sense of pride.
However, I have recenly come to challenge the assumption of a uniform geek nature. That is to say the idea that all geeks share the same characteristics. The geek hierachy(www.brunching.com/features/geekhierarchy.html) gives some indication of different types of geeks, but it fails in two aspects. First, it only uses the most common manifestations of geekiness (rpgs, anime, science fiction, etc). Second, it assumes that geekiness is a quantifiable unidirectional quality (eg, it goes from less geeky to most geeky).
Traditionally geeks have been defined in terms of passion for computers as well as an interest in role-playing, science fiction, and anime. However, this is overly simplistic. Not all geeks are the same. Certain geeks might like anime while despising LARPS, others may have an intense passion for LARPS while hating both anime and traditional table-top role playing. I'll even go as far as to say that an intense love and knowledge of computers isn't necessarily a prerequisite for geekiness. Afterall, while I like use computers on a regular basis, I do claim to have any special skill in programming or an obsession with them. I thus define "geek" as a person who has a strong passion in any esosteric hobby outside the mainstream culture. Indeed, by that definition a person can be a geek in many different aspects. For example, I don't have a lot of knowlege of computers,Star Trek, anime, etc. but I consider myself a "language geek" because I have an extreme love of foriegn language in a largely monolingual society. I spend hours downloading and installing non-Latin fonts on my computer, translating pointless quotes into other languages, and taking way too many credit hours in foriegn language classes at my university. Of course none of the aforementioned activities are mentioned on the official geek hierarchy, but nonetheless I consider them geeky.
My geek bretheren, the old definition of "geek" is outdated. Geekiness is not defined in terms of ones computer aptitude, love of anime, or devotion to Star Trek. We, as geeks are a very diverse lot. Therefore let us stop squabbling as to what is an inherently geekier hobby. Let us unite and loudly proclaim to mainstream society that we are geeks!

Sagan Darkside

First Post
My coworkers know quite well that is acceptable to call me a geek, but never a nerd.

A geek is someone who follows an intellectual pursuit others will not or can not understand, but can comfortably socialize with the outside world without much problem.

A nerd follows the same type of pursuit, but can only comfortably socialize with people who follow the same pursuit.

SD

Mercule

Adventurer
Sagan Darkside said:
My coworkers know quite well that is acceptable to call me a geek, but never a nerd.

My group and I are just the opposite. Nerd is fine, but geek is still derogatory.

Personally, I'd prefer to be called a word that Dr. Seuss made up than a word that refers to someone who bites the head off chickens.

I'm a computer nerd or a code monkey, but _not_ a computer geek.

SonOfLilith

First Post
A geek also bites the heads of live chickens for booze, but hey. Personally, I hate both the term geek and nerd. I do like RPG;s, sci-fi, anime, TMBG ect, but why go arround yelling that I'm a circus freak? Anyway, my two cents, and you can just call me an 'social outsider/outcast' if you need to group me, that and a horrible speller.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Ya know we all owe a BIG debt of gratitude to billy Gates for making Nerdy Geekness kewl.

Its because of Micro$oft putting PCs into every home (lol) that we can now stand tall and say

"so what if I have ink stains on my pocket, and my mother made me wear this wooly cardigan! I'm gonna grow up and be a multibillionaire whereas you are gonna go and pump gas Jockstrap MWAHAHA- Ouch-WAAAAGH!!"

Celebrim

Legend
I'm pretty comfortable with either of them now. At one time it seemed that Nerd was the more flattering of the two. At the present, Geek seems to be the culturally prefered term.

I don't use either to mean socially handicapped. A socially retarded geek is an 'Asperger', as in:

"Pardon my friend's social blunders; he's an Asperger, but he otherwise has a mind like a 3000 node Beowulf cluster."

s/LaSH

First Post
It's all a little subjective, isn't it? Although almost everyone here takes pride in being a geek or nerd, nobody really knows what that really means.

To me, a geek is one who is good with something lesser mortals cannot hope to comprehend. I suppose, by that extension, you call the Jedi Knights Force Geeks, but the Force isn't really as esoteric or demanding as other geekish pursuits now, is it?

Now (again to me) a nerd is someone who just doesn't interact well with others. I was a nerd, now I believe I'm simply a geek - but my time as a nerd has given me a wonderful perspective on people and their behaviour patterns. I don't know why, but now I quite enjoy manipulating people into doing things without their realising it.

Interesting, anyway.

Chauzu

First Post
shadow said:
Although the word "geek" was originally a deragotory term, it recently has been come to be used as a term to describe a specific subculture of people, without any negative connotation. Many members on this board frequently refer to themselves as geeks. Some of them do so with a strong sense of pride.
However, I have recenly come to challenge the assumption of a uniform geek nature. That is to say the idea that all geeks share the same characteristics. The geek hierachy(www.brunching.com/features/geekhierarchy.html) gives some indication of different types of geeks, but it fails in two aspects. First, it only uses the most common manifestations of geekiness (rpgs, anime, science fiction, etc). Second, it assumes that geekiness is a quantifiable unidirectional quality (eg, it goes from less geeky to most geeky).
Traditionally geeks have been defined in terms of passion for computers as well as an interest in role-playing, science fiction, and anime. However, this is overly simplistic. Not all geeks are the same. Certain geeks might like anime while despising LARPS, others may have an intense passion for LARPS while hating both anime and traditional table-top role playing. I'll even go as far as to say that an intense love and knowledge of computers isn't necessarily a prerequisite for geekiness. Afterall, while I like use computers on a regular basis, I do claim to have any special skill in programming or an obsession with them. I thus define "geek" as a person who has a strong passion in any esosteric hobby outside the mainstream culture. Indeed, by that definition a person can be a geek in many different aspects. For example, I don't have a lot of knowlege of computers,Star Trek, anime, etc. but I consider myself a "language geek" because I have an extreme love of foriegn language in a largely monolingual society. I spend hours downloading and installing non-Latin fonts on my computer, translating pointless quotes into other languages, and taking way too many credit hours in foriegn language classes at my university. Of course none of the aforementioned activities are mentioned on the official geek hierarchy, but nonetheless I consider them geeky.
My geek bretheren, the old definition of "geek" is outdated. Geekiness is not defined in terms of ones computer aptitude, love of anime, or devotion to Star Trek. We, as geeks are a very diverse lot. Therefore let us stop squabbling as to what is an inherently geekier hobby. Let us unite and loudly proclaim to mainstream society that we are geeks!

Wow... that's some geeky work you wrote there, you geek. :p

Ace

Adventurer
Mercule said:

My group and I are just the opposite. Nerd is fine, but geek is still derogatory.

Personally, I'd prefer to be called a word that Dr. Seuss made up than a word that refers to someone who bites the head off chickens.

I'm a computer nerd or a code monkey, but _not_ a computer geek.

I am the same way

Geek implies social defective freak, ala the old meaning Carnival performer who bites animal head off

Nerd otoh is osrt of an anti jock

I will answer to nerd though I am not really a nerd (not in 10 years or so)

Ace

Adventurer
Tonguez said:
Ya know we all owe a BIG debt of gratitude to billy Gates for making Nerdy Geekness kewl.

Its because of Micro$oft putting PCs into every home (lol) that we can now stand tall and say

"so what if I have ink stains on my pocket, and my mother made me wear this wooly cardigan! I'm gonna grow up and be a multibillionaire whereas you are gonna go and pump gas Jockstrap MWAHAHA- Ouch-WAAAAGH!!"

Heh. I a hundred years or so it will be like this

so what if I have ink stains on my pocket, and my mother made me wear this wooly cardigan! I'm gonna grow up and be a multibillionaire whereas you are gonna go and pump gas Jockstrap MWAHAHA- Ouch-WAAAAGH!!"

JOck collapses to the floor after sweep from gene spliced uber nerd

HMM Uncontroled violence and sadism.

PSSSTTT as the droplets hit the jock

Sorry about the cellular adjustment but your DNA is defective. I lowered your hormone levels and raised your IQ 40 points. Bye

MWAHAHAHAHAAHA

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads