• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

OT: Share useless Trivia!

Mal Malenkirk

First Post
Non-Americans are often dumbfounded by the fact that the baseball playoff are called the World Series. How americanocentric, right? No team comes from outside the USA unless the Jays somehow make it there.

Well, a friend of mine told me that he learned that it's actually called the World Series because once upon a time it was sponsored by a newspaper called The World.

Can anyone confirm this?

And more importantly, can anyone contribute even more useless trivia so that I can fill my head with annoying tidbits that can barely fit in a conversation and that are only ever useful in RL when you're on a quizz show? Please? :D

Last edited by a moderator:

MeepoTheMighty

First Post
The number of possible ways of playing the first four moves per side in a game of chess is 318,979,564,000.

The first CD pressed in the US was Bruce Springstein's 'Born in the USA.

The glue on Israeli postage stamps is certified kosher.

A Boeing 747's wingspan is longer than the Wright brother's first flight.

The first owner of the Marlboro Company died of lung cancer.

There are more chickens than people in the world. (People are always surprised when they hear this one. But if you think about how many chickens the average person eats in a year, it really makes sense)

More than 50% of the people in the world have never made or received a telephone call. (Really makes you think.)

The very first bomb dropped by the Allies on Berlin during World War II killed the only elephant in the Berlin Zoo.

I can't vouch for the veracity of any of these, but we all know the internet never lies. :)

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
Legendary country music singer Lefty Frizzell spent a few days in the Roswell, New Mexico jail in September 1947, 2 months after the famous UFO incident.

Josef Stalin stood 5'2" tall.

Eternalknight

First Post
Re: Re: Share useless Trivia!

Capellan said:
On the subject of intriguing but probably untrue stories, does anyone know if the following is true:

"the only reason there are pickles on McDonald's is to stop their burgers being classified as confectionary"

False.

On average, a man farts 11 times a day, a woman 7.

Some lions mate more than 50 times a day.

The average human eats eight spiders duirng his or her lifetime (usually while asleep).

Women blink nearly twice as much as men.

If you were to fart constantly for six years and nine months, you would produce the same amount of energy as an atomic bomb.

MeepoTheMighty

First Post
Re: Re: Re: Share useless Trivia!

Eternalknight said:

False.

The average human eats eight spiders duirng his or her lifetime (usually while asleep).

I heard it was more on the order of eight per night. A lot of those buggers are very, very tiny.

Eternalknight

First Post
Re: Re: Re: Re: Share useless Trivia!

MeepoTheMighty said:

I heard it was more on the order of eight per night. A lot of those buggers are very, very tiny.

Good call. I re-read the source I got it from and you are correct, young kobold.

As for "classified as confectionary", read that as "classified as candy".

Remove ads