[OT] Slow and steady wins Olympic Gold!

SableWyvern

Adventurer
Hey!

Australia's first every Winter Olympic gold; in some speed skating event (ok, so I'm not actually paying much attention).

Why? He was so slow, and so far behind the pack, that he managed to avoid the huge pile up that took everyone else down.

And apparently he only made the final because three of his opponent's fell in the previous race.

Go Aussie!

Frostmarrow

First Post
I saw it! It was amazing. Congratulations Australia. Kind of reminds me of the tortois and the rabbit ;)

Nowadays I love Australia. My niece, since three days, was born Australian!

Last edited:

Holy Bovine

First Post
That was a wild ending (and it was Women's 1000m speed skating I believe).

Congrats to Australia for the gold

And Congrats to Canada for the bronze :D

drothgery

First Post
It was men's 1000m short-track.

There may have been some confusion on this because a lot of the skaters are teenagers who look like they were ripped right out of anime...

Forlorn

First Post
I saw this, the Australian won from out of the blue, but really the ending was kinda screwed up, as the rounded the last turn the Korean (who was favored since the Korean's have always won the gold in this event) went down and took Apollo Ohno (the american, and leader) with him, they also wiped out the canadian who was in 3rd at the time, a chinese skater had gone down just seconds before. Apollo was able to spring back up and take about 2 steps to throw his skates across the line for silver with the canadians getting bronze. Apollo when he fell was only about 2 meters from winning by the time he stopped moving. It was really exciting and I think as a result I have a new favorite winter sport. Men short-track speed skate, lots of speed, and dangerous to boot. Gotta love it.

Agamon

Adventurer
That was so cool (in a car accident sorta way)! Congrats to the Austrailian! From what I hear, it's been a long time coming for him.

Villano

First Post
Man, every time I turned on the Olympics and speed skating was on, there was a crash. And each time, I think it was a Korean. Weren't all the Koreans heavily favored to win these events? What happened? Were they experimenting with a new pre-game tradition: "Chug a quart of vodka before getting on the ice"?

PatrickLawinger

First Post
drothgery said:
It was men's 1000m short-track.

There may have been some confusion on this because a lot of the skaters are teenagers who look like they were ripped right out of anime...

I admit that I am tired, but I damn near fell out of my chair laughing when I read this.

Teflon Billy

Explorer
That Aussie is my new favorite Olympian of all time:)

Got into the finals on a fluke. Won the Gold on a fluke!

He was so humble and charming about the whole thng.

Men's short track speed skating is my new favorite event (Hockey has been lame since they let the NHL in).

Congratulations Australia:)

Remove ads