[OT] Slow and steady wins Olympic Gold!

reapersaurus

First Post
the men's short track speed skating event was one of the larger barrels of crap I've seen in a long time.

The Korean takes out the leader on the last turn by flailing his arm out when he shoulda just tucked and fell to the outside, and the guy in LAST wins GOLD?

Huh?!
Mediocrity certainoly one the day there! ROFL!
It's made MORE classic by the fact that in the semifinal race, he and another back-of-the-packer advanced because the leaders took each other out.

Really, they should have re-thought putting 5 people on one short track.
There's only enough room for MAYBE 3 people, as evidenced by the bumping and crashing in the turns.

A last thought - in these games, (in men's and womens) it seems the Koreans take out more than their fair share of other skaters in the turns.
As my wife and I BOTH remember, in the last Olympics, there were a crapload of crashes caused by the Koreans, as well!

Anyone else remember this?
If so, why is there not more attention paid to it, IF it is an ongoing thing?

Someguy

First Post
[tongue in cheek]
hmmm...a conspircy with the Koreans and the Austrailians? The Koreans will take out the leaders so the Austrailins can win a medal, now we have to see if the Austrailians will "slip up" and korean wins...
[/tongue in cheek]

AussieDM

First Post
An Aussie Perspective

The mans name is Steve Bradbury.

This is his 4th (and final) Olympics and was a member of the Short Track Relay team that won Bronze in the games 8 years ago.

Australia is a great sporting nation, but given that we get very little snow here, the winter olympics are a bit of an anomaly.

We send a team, with no expectations, but cheer when an underdog gets up! Well done Steve!!

We do have one current winter sport world champ - Jacqui Cooper in the aerial ski jumping - sort of gymnastics on snow. But she smashed her knee up in warm up and needs a total reconstruction. She would have won gold given shes a triple world champ....

Aussie! Aussie! Aussie!
Oi! Oi! Oi!

Holy Bovine

First Post
reapersaurus said:
A last thought - in these games, (in men's and womens) it seems the Koreans take out more than their fair share of other skaters in the turns.
As my wife and I BOTH remember, in the last Olympics, there were a crapload of crashes caused by the Koreans, as well!

Anyone else remember this?
If so, why is there not more attention paid to it, IF it is an ongoing thing?

Yes you have found out yet another grand consiracy. The Koreans take out all the other skaters so they themselves can some in last and win no medals at all. It is an evil and subtle plan. For you see by winning no medals at all they.....

ummm.....

well, I guess they do nothing. The fact is crashes and wipe outs happen in speed skaying all the time. It has happened for years and the Koreans are not always in the middle of it so no one pays much attention - they happen and its a part of the sport.

The It's Man

Explorer
Well, if they didn't let 5 final in the people, no-one who was skating would've crossed the finish. One of the skating IMHO in pre-requisits ;)

Holy Bovine said:

Yes you have found out yet another grand consiracy. The Koreans take out all the other skaters so they themselves can some in last and win no medals at all. It is an evil and subtle plan. For you see by winning no medals at all they.....

ummm.....

....get first pick in next summer's Short Track Speed Skating Draft? :D

If they let less than five people into the final, then all but one person gets a medal - that seems a little lame, doesn't it?

It looked to me during the races I saw that one objective of the race is to "accidently" bump your opponent out - not hard to do on ice.

Dragonblade

Adventurer
They should have re-run the race and that would have been perfectly in keeping with short track rules and tradition. However, the referee (who was Australian, I believe) decided not to. Furthermore, both the Chinese skater and the Korean skater tried to pull Ohno down.

Both the Chinese skater and the Korean skater should be disqualified and the race re-run. The result wasn't fair to either Ohno or the Canadian skater. And you may flame me for this but unless he wins it in a head to head race, the Australian does not deserve the gold medal.

And in all fairness I would feel they should re-run race even if the winner had been American. To do otherwise is not fair to the atheletes who worked so hard only to be taken out through no fault of their own.

Remove ads