• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[OT] The Homework Thread (OVER)

Creamsteak

Explorer
This threads been dead for a long time, and a lot of people didn't seem to read past the second post so....

it's dead already. remember that.

Last edited:

Creamsteak

Explorer
“We took an old metal roller skate and strapped it to a short piece of 2x4, hopped on top and took off. We had a big old hill on Hatherleight Road in the Stoneleigh community between Baltimore and Towson, Maryland. Every one of us fell on our backs and broke at least three bones every year. You had to start down the hill sitting down. Everybody started b sitting on it. When you went down the steep section, you got to feeling like you were flying. That hill became the challenge.”

-Bob Schmidt’s “The Day They Invented The Skateboard”

At the Pier Avenue Junior School in Hermosa, California in 1963, the first true skateboarding contest was held. The judged events included street skating and freestyle competitions, but a few individuals decided to ride empty swimming pools. Nothing about the contest was revolutionary, but it did start a revolution. The mid sixties brought the first wave of skateboarding.

Hobie Alter was the man who revolutionized skateboarding with the introduction of the Hobie Super Surfer Skateboard. Prior to the Super Surfer, skateboards were considered toys; made with two by fours for decks, metal skate wheels, and trucks that would not turn. The Super Surfer with its clay wheels, moveable trucks, and laminated wood deck, could carve big turns and do things never thought possible on a skateboard. In 1964 The Quarterly Skateboarder, Edited by John Severson and featuring Hobie team member Dave Hiton, was produced. It was a simple low-budget magazine that featured information on local skateboarding. The first cover displayed Dave Hiton doing a high jump over a parallel pole. The magazine lasted for 4 issues, split across the 4 seasons of the year. The Vita Pakt Juice Company, headed by James G. Hodges, sponsored all of this. Currently Vita Pakt is now a subsidiary of Peace River Citrus Products and Tropicana.

The rise and fall of the first wave of skateboarding came about within a five-year period. The inferior skateboards, especially the clay wheels, and too much inventory doomed the manufacturers. The industry was so busy trying to produce enough skateboards to satisfy the consumers, that the companies did little in the way of research and development. Although there had been over fifty million boards sold within a three-year period, the skateboard industry was crushed by bans on skateboarding, reckless riding, and a few fatal accidents. This destroyed the industry, temporarily.

Over the next eight years the sport was reduced to an underground fad. Only a select few locations had a noticeable skateboarding population. Santa Monica, California being the best known, because of a man named Larry Stevenson, whom invented the kick tail and tried to resurrect skateboarding. This met with little success. Up until 1970, the first decline held a solid grip on skateboarding.

Frank Nasworthy inspired the first urethane wheels. During a visit to a friend at a plastics factory in Purcell, Virginia, Nasworthy was introduced to urethane wheels for roller skates. These wheels provide better traction and this material was only marginally more expensive than clay. The urethanes of the plastics industry are so named because the repeating units of their structures resemble the chemical urethane, which is actually an organic compound. Urethanes have enough traction to resist losing control, while still having enough toughness to withstand the hard roads. This dramatically improved the ride, and after heavy promoting Nasworthy eventually overcame the resistance of the skateboarding community.

Marketed as “Cadillac Wheels,” Frank Nasworthy’s urethane creation launched the second skateboarding boom. Bennet and Tracker, truck manufacturers, began to design specifically for skateboards. The industry increased in volume, and many companies came to life or joined into the manufacturing of skateboarding products. The industry flooded with new products and new ideas, increasing the over-all quality of the skateboarding equipment everywhere. Road Rider, a new company, produced the first precision bearing wheels, ending decades of loose skate-style ball bearings. Millions of enthusiasts are created, and Skate Boarder Magazine is resurrected. Among the new crowd of skaters, Bruce Logan, Russ Howell, Stacy Peralta, Tom Sims, and Gregg Weaver are some of the most recognizable names.

In 1975, Skateboarder Magazine (Editor Steve Pezman) Once again started in a quarterly format increasing to bi monthly and then eventually monthly when skating hit it's peak in 1977 -78. It ran in this format until 1980 when it started to include both Roller Skating and BMX information. The results of a poll by this magazine revealed Tony Alva to be the current king of skateboarding, and Jay Adams running a close second. Tony Alva had an unheard of two interviews. Jay Adams managed to avoid doing an interview for the magazine for five years before finally doing one in 1979 and officially quitting skating in the process.
As the sport developed, skate parks came into cognation. The first skate park was in Florida, and was closely followed by hundreds of others. Eventually the risk of injury would strain this part of the industry, and choke the insurance money out of nearly every park. The simple fact that skateboarding is dangerous increased the costs of insurance, increasing the cost of running a park, increasing the cost of skating a park, and in the end forcing the skateboarders back onto the streets where they were at risk of injury.

When Alan Gelfand invented the no hand’s aerial, called the “ollie”, it took skateboarding to a new level. It was 1978 at the time, and culture began to mesh with punk music and new wave music. Images of skulls appeared on skateboards. This was all tied together by the new re-invention of street skateboarding.

The pool skating trend was still strong, and the new technology of the skateboard allowed skaters to perform aerials above the rims of a pool. By the end of 1980, skate boarding’s second decline was well under way. As BMX became popular and Skateboarding changed it’s name to Action Now, most skaters deserted the sport. Action Now grew out of Skateboarder magazine, to try and increase dwindling sales it included many other sports including BMX, Motor Cross, Roller Skating and even horse riding. The issues included little skateboarding. The magazine was ad heavy, and no longer sported much of an audience.

In 1981, Thrasher Magazine began publication. Thrasher came about when manufacturers of Independent trucks wanted to start a magazine dedicated entirely to skateboarding. Its principle was simple- a magazine by skaters for skaters. For it's first year in production it was in a newspaper format, which was much bigger than the size it is now. The first issue cover is a cartoon of a skater in a pool drawn by Kevin Thatcher. The first thing you notice when reading the early issues is the lack of advertisers in them.. Thrasher incorporated music coverage as well as skating and featured a number of punk bands, hence Henry Rollins in an Indy advert acid dropping of a ledge. The title logo has remained unchanged from day one.

Skateline, another magazine produced in 1981 featured strong skateboarding interest. The producer, Iuain, was instrumental in the building of the Livingston Park in 1981, and unfortunately died a few years later through illness. His contribution still remains today and all the Scottish skaters all regard him as a hero.

Vert took off in 1984, followed closely by street style skating. The use of ramps became popular. The “Bones Brigade,” a group of professional skaters, produced videos, which featured CR Stecyk and Stacy Peralta. The team featured many new moves. The movies helped to inspire a new generation of skateboarders. The mid 80’s started another upswing in skateboarding popularity. Numerous vertical champions emerged. Rodney Mullen dominated freestyle.

Between the late 80’s and early 90’s some interesting developments started. In the early 90s, skateboarding became synonymous with a few shoe manufacturers. Airwalk, Vans, and Vision became popular “skater” manufacturers. It was also apparent the industry was increasing in size. The average winnings of a contest escalated, and some pro skaters were making as much as 125 thousand dollars every year.

Today skateboarding remains a large industry, with many different manufacturers. Skateboarding has changed a great deal since its origins. The sport remains safer than football and hockey. The sport endures because of the large fan-base and the huge number of sponsors and manufacturers around.

Crothian

First Post
Re: [OT] I know this is strange... but help me with my homework...

creamsteak said:
Here is where the problem occured: The teacher decided that because we KNOW what we are talking about, we must trade topics with other people.

You have a very good teacher to make you do this. Treasure this, it's priceless.

Creamsteak

Explorer
Re: Re: [OT] I know this is strange... but help me with my homework...

Crothian said:
You have a very good teacher to make you do this. Treasure this, it's priceless.
So very true. I did all the internet research I could manage, and I have already learned a lot, but I still feal like my speach is going to have a strong start and get weak towards the end...

Crothian

First Post
Re: Re: Re: [OT] I know this is strange... but help me with my homework...

creamsteak said:

So very true. I did all the internet research I could manage, and I have already learned a lot, but I still feal like my speach is going to have a strong start and get weak towards the end...

Well, good luck. I know nothing about skateboards. When somesays the term I think of the old banana shaped ones of the 70's.

Xarlen

First Post
What I would do, is to give that person whom doesn't know anything about D&D some help.

They might know something about skateboards. :) Potential gamer, even.

Bonus points if it's a girl. :cool:

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads