• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[OT][Wife] My wife is going to kill me...

Grapeshot

First Post
Seriously, they need to make online shopping difficult. This is getting out of hand. The 1 click buy on Amazon specifically. Also now you can pay through paypal right from the ebay webpage.

Ok so this weekend week my wife let me purchase 2 D&D Shirts, the 3.5 PHB, DMG, and MM, the #1 Smallville Comic signed by the artist and 1-27 D&D comics.

She said no more because we had checks and bills coming out the checking account.

Well Superman on DVD just looked so cool on Amazon. And they got that 1 click buying thing. I don't even have to login I just click it and it shows up at my house a few days later. Plus she hasn't ever seen the movie but she has seen every episode of the first two seasons of Smallville. It's really frustrating because she is like "Why does Lex Luther become bad?" and "I like him better than Clark."

And of course I keep saying, "It's Lex Luther" holding my hounds out in frustration.

She doesn't know I bought the DVD yet and then tonight I found a great deal on the Kingdoms of Kalamar Campaign Setting. I mean litterally I saved 19 bucks off the original price. So I had to buy it right?

If they just made all this internet buying more difficult I wouldn't even fool with it. And you know I'm too lazy to actually leave the house and go shopping for that sort of stuff. I think I'm addicted.

Can anyone find me a good deal on the Kingdoms of Kalamar PHB?? I have to buy it before she checks the bank account in the morning and sees what I have done.

Last edited:

Eternalknight

First Post
Seek help. Seriously. I know someone who got caught in the trap of spending much amounts of money via home shopping and ended up with a huge credit card debt.

Imperialus

Explorer
I'd echo eternalknight. Perhaps if you tried going a week without logging on to Amazon or Ebay might help. I know when my Aunt had debt problems she started putting her credit card in a ziplock bag in the freezer. She'd have to defrost it several hours in advance any time she wanted to use it. Of course that doesn't work so well with online shopping where your credit number is saved in your member account.

Perhaps if you got one of those site blocking software things and put ebay and amazon on your banned list? Have your wife choose the password so that any time you want to go online and make a purchace you have to clear it with her first.

Cedric

First Post
Wow...I put $10.00 in gas on the wrong debit card this morning...and I barely survived my wife's response to that...

If you were married to my wife (who is a very kind, compassionate, loving woman who turns into a juggernaut regarding bills) ... you would never do this again...ever.

Just remembering, we aren't trying to scare you...we are trying to save you!

Cedric :D

Grapeshot

First Post
Anyone know of any good links on saving money? We're only 23 and have been married a year but we blow money all the time. Seriously it is not unlikely for me to spend 90 bucks on drinks at a bar every weekend.

I know the obvious, "Don't go to the bar!" or "Save your money" suggestions but I need some real tips and information.

She isn't really going to be mad I was just kind of feeling guilty because she isn't good with money either but she tries and since I know I can get away with this sort of stuff, I do.

Actually, if we did end up setting up a budget. I'd be down with 2 12 packs of beer a week, + food, + gas. I really have no other expenses.

Cedric

First Post
Just remember this...if you ever want to live in a house, and hope to someday live in a nice house.

What you do with your budget and with your money today, will shape part of your financial future for the next 10 years to come.

If you are careless...let your credit go some, it can cost you and keep costing you for a long, long time.

Someone with really good credit and someone with bad but not horrible credit apply for a housing loan.

The person with good credit may wind up paying thousands of dollars less, because they will get better interests rates.

It may not matter now, but in 10 years, your whole life may rely on your credit rating...

If you go to google and search for basic budgets and financial planning you should come up with plenty of links to get you started. See if you can find some from non-profit or government sponsored links, as opposed to links from banks.

Cedric

Brother Shatterstone

Dark Moderator of PbP
I've started many a thread with this very topic... :D I probably do have an addiction to eBay but it has slowed down with time and it sounds like my wife is far more forgiving then the rest of yours. I’ve never gotten in trouble for buying something on eBay even with out telling her about it and it cost a "tad" bit over a hundred bucks… Rest assure as the more you spend online the less the temptation will be the lower prices will become familiar and the impulse should leave you.

Anyhow, for tips, I suggest not browsing eBay or Amazon; it can be hard to do especially if you have hours to kill while at work and such not, but it can be done.

Now all that said… That’s not a big issue compared to your "bar tab" as spending 90 bucks on drinks a week is a reckless waste of money in my opinion. At least on eBay and amazon you get a permanent good and not something your going to process threw your system in a few hours…

Also you might try an allowance, sounds childish but it does work.

Welverin

First Post
Control, you must learn control!*

Welverin

* So I searched Google to see if I got it right and what are the first ten link about? Lists of sexually suggestive lines in Star Wars. Why? I don't know

krichaiushii

First Post
I have found that having (at least) one person in a relationship craft a household budget, and both partners sticking to it results in happier, wealthier relationships.

Effectively, my wife and I have a spending budget each month, calculated AFTER bills and assorted savings (for car, house improvements, etc) are put in their proper accounts.

We are happier because we are not arguing and worrying about financial problems, and we are wealthier due to our not having massive credit card debt.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads