• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[OT][Wife] My wife is going to kill me...

Wippit Guud

First Post
I took the other, more expensive route...

... this week, I got my wife addicted to a CCG game for the first time. Now she's the one buying stuff :)

Doesn't help us save for a house, though...

bekkilyn_rpg

First Post
One of the first things to do is to decide how much you want to save each time a paycheck comes into the house and put that amount minimum into the bank (a savings type account which checks and debit cards cannot touch) and *do not touch it* once it's in there. This money is your cushion for things like losing a job or some other emergency situation, or even a house downpayment. Saving money should be a habit every paycheck.

Next, get into the frame of mind that you will always spend less than you make, and that's after taxes, bills and the like are accounted for. Pay your bills first thing and pay off any credit cards fully each month as credit card interest adds up *majorly*, a lot, lot more than many people think.

Do not get into debt in the first place (and if you are in debt already, then get out of it asap). Being in debt for anything short of something like a mortgage or a school loan is not good. It's much much worse than having to wait an extra month or so for a book or a DVD.

For things like books and such, give yourself a reasonable allowance each paycheck and once that allowance money is gone, then it's gone. Choose your monthly purchases carefully.

Get your wife involved in doing these things as well as it will be much much easier if you are both working together.

And yes, you still might need to get some more professional help if this situation has indeed become something like an addiction and you feel too much out of control about it.

Djeta Thernadier

First Post
Eeek.

This happened to me back in the day when EBAY was all shiny and new to me. I was too busy buying random, useless knick-nacks to put money away for my bills. Not good and I ended up with a lot of debt.

I personally have very strong feelings against sharing a bank account with ANYONE (got burned real bad once), but if things are getting out of hand, you may want to give her the control over the finances for a while.

I couldn't do that (I live with my boyfriend but we maintain seperate bank accounts and always will). So how I combat this problem (shopping online is a biggie for me, even still) is to make up a seperate bank account where you just put "fun money" and buy yourself a gaming item (or whatever) every few weeks or so.

I can't give you advice about your wife being angry but I can say, if both of your paychecks are going into this account and you are spending her money on gaming stuff she could care less about, I can see why she's upset. (Last person I shared a bank account with literally blew thousands of my dollars on cds, dvds etc. and lied ot me about paying the bills... :mad: )

I read somewhere once that most relationships work better when people control their own money (at least one account) so maybe setting up a "fun money" account for yourself would work out best. That way you set the limits.

Good luck
Djeta

Buttercup

Princess of Florin
[toughlove]The harsh truth is that it's all a matter of priorities.

If you would rather spend money you don't have on consumables (like 90 bucks on drinks at a bar) and on your hobbies than have a house, that's your choice. If you go too far into debt, there will be consequences, and it will take you years, if not decades, to live them down. If you want a house, and you're planning on having kids that you hope to send to college, then you just have to stop spending. Your choice. Make a budget and stick to it, or impulse shop your way to bankruptcy. Saying "I'm not good with money" won't matter a moldy fig to the creditors. This is nobody's responsibility but your own, and nobody but you can fix the problem.

There's really only one tip for saving money that works--don't spend it.[/toughlove]

pogre

Legend
Spending $ without consulting your better half can be a cause of longterm friction and resentment. Take it from a divorce attorney who did a 104 divorces in three years - money was a major factor in 80% of those actions. Not one of those people planned on getting divorce. $ problems just add unneeded stress to the relationship. Knock it off - please :)

Last edited:

willpax

First Post
bekkilyn offers good advice. Take it. It might be easier to set up a separate account (or a savings account) and put money in there toward a house every month. If you see yourself working

I'm the one in my relationship who handles the budget, and my wife is the one who has impulse contol problems (although, to be fair to her, they aren't very bad compared to most people). I can attest to the frustration that can occur when the budget appears to be out of control. It sets up all sorts of dynamics that work against affection: guilt leading to resentment on the part of the spender, frustration leading to resentment at being made out to be the bad guy on the part of the other partner. Much better to work toward something together.

Seprate accounts my work for you, but I always remember the question given to me by the priest who married us when we mentioned that we might keep separate accounts: "So you'll share your bed with this person, but not your checking account?"

WizarDru

Adventurer
Grapeshot said:
Actually, if we did end up setting up a budget. I'd be down with 2 12 packs of beer a week, + food, + gas. I really have no other expenses.

Here's the thing: You DO have other expenses.

Unless you've got your own power generator, oil rig, chemical plant, pharmacy and dozens of other things, you've got LOTS of expenses. Your first step is to recognize this.

Step one: Asses your Situation. Sit down one evening, and list all of your utilities and bills. Be realistic, and PAD the numbers. BE HONEST. Planning on having kids? Thinking of a new car? Want to move out of that apartment some day? Time to crack down a little.

Step Two: Track your expenses. Spend the $30 and get Microsoft Money or Quicken and train yourself to use it. Just like people who need to control their eating, tracking it starts the self-referential loop of noticing when how bad you actually get. When you suddenly realize "Cripes! I just spent $210 on an original unopened 1983 Starscream Transformers action figure...and now I can't make the rent!", it hits home. Worse, if you start missing bills, it bites you later. Not just late fees, but your credit rating gets kneed in the junk, and that's not something you recover from easily...take the words of one who knows. Remember, when you ask for credit, people will analyze your revenue and income versus your expenses....better you know ahead of time what you look like on paper, so you don't get a nasty revelation.

Step Three: Plan for disaster. Build up savings by cutting back for a little while. It's suprisingly easy, once you start doing it. Sit back and analyze your 'guilty pleasure' purchases and decide if they were really worth it. D&D Revised books? I use them daily, so Yes. Scourge of Worlds DVD? Watched it several times, so maybe. Kosh Naranek action figure that I've never even taken out of the box, and now has dust on it? No. It could have waited, or never been purchased at all. And don't discount the landslide that late fees can become: I bounce a check here, I get $25 from my bank for doing it, $35 from the creditor I bounced it with, and I still haven't paid the dang bill.

What happens when the car fails? Need a new alternator? Have to get it inspected? Flat tire and you need it towed? Medical problems? And in this market, let's not forget Unemployment. I spent most of 2002 unemployed, and we managed to muddle through. Can you manage that, right now?

And most importantly, pay off your credit cards. Take them out of your wallets, and view them as emergency money. Don't be tempted to use them. At Amazon, remove your credit card information from your account. Pay your bills with actual money, not credit. Some co-workers of mine used to refer to this practice as 'Robbing Peter to pay Paul.' You lose in this practice, in interest costs alone.

Credit cards are not money, they are DEBT-MACHINES.

Understanding this alone will help you. I wish I had followed this advice when I was your age...it would have saved me a lot of heartbreak, later on. Remember the last rule? Every creditor you know can see the last 7 years of your credit history, and Credit Card companies are very influential, here. Your payment history on your card(s) is something that is scrutinized especially closely.

Step Four: Economize, when easy and practical. Shop wisely. Get a BJs/Costco/Sam's Club membership. Clip coupons. Watch the sunday ads. Wait until that digital camera goes on sale, or has a rebate. When brands make no difference, try the less expensive one. I don't skimp on chunk light tuna, but I don't care who makes the brown paper lunch bags or my scotch tape. I'm a firm believer in that you get what you pay for, but some things aren't better just for a name brand. Try not to eat out all the time, if you do. It's expensive, and not all that healthy, as often as not.

Step Five: Pace Yourself. Choose your entertainments wisely. At 23, you probably don't have kids to worry about yet, so go to a matinee showing for a movie, while you still can. :) Going out to drink? Look for those cheap draft nights. Lay off the Goldschlagger. Pick the best bang-for-your-buck, entertainment-wise. How often do you actually RE-watch your DVDs? Netflix gets you unlimited rentals for $20 a month, and I know several people who swear by it. A computer game that you play for 60 hours is a good deal, even if it costs $55. An RPG book that you use for 5 hours a week for 6 months is an outstanding deal. A bottle of Captain Morgan and a 2-liter bottle of Coke for say, $35, is a much better deal than going to a bar and spending the same amount for a quarter of that. Instead of going out, have a barbecue and BYO.

Step Six: Set reasonable expectations. Don't try some crazy cold turkey life change to solve your problems. It won't work. Small changes and habit changes add up over time. An attempt to suddenly and drastically alter your lifestyle is going to fail unless some outside circumstance changes it. But if you don't modify your bad spending habits, you'll have that imposed on you.

Hope that helps. These are just some basic guidelines from harsh and bitter life experience. It took me years to get my credit in order, and it's a never-ending battle. :p

First, turn off your "one-click" buying ability at amazon. You can do that.

Second, have your wife change the password to your ebay account, and not tell you for one month.

Third, put 10% of your pay into savings. Every check. Don't dip into it for anything (save the direst emergency--hospital bills, etc.)

Fourth, if you can't stop, get professional help.

Fifth, what Diaglo said.

Sixth, what Buttercup said.

To sum up, you said:
She doesn't know I bought the DVD yet and then tonight I found a great deal on the Kingdoms of Kalamar Campaign Setting. I mean litterally I saved 19 bucks off the original price. So I had to buy it right?
The answer is, "No, you did not have to buy that.

P.S. Seventh, show this thread to your wife.+

One thing I've done with Amazon is I now put stuff I want in the Wish List box. Then, when I come into a bit of money and hit a milestone (like, for instance, having worked a full month of temp jobs), I reward myself (in this case, with one week's net pay of DVDs and books).

I think I've done a good job on maintaining my credit. I only have my school loans (ack, $14.5k!) and my credit card balance (paid off each month).

[bragging rights]I've even checked my FICO score, and what with being only a temp worker, I've still got a FICO of 781, up from my 745 of only a few years back...[bragging rights]

Now, if I could just get a permanent job, get out of my folks' house, buy a few "necessities" (a new computer, DSL, digital cable, entertainment center; that'd be about it, with about $150 a month on books/CDs/DVDs after I've paid off those major purchases...), and so forth.

*grumble* Trust me, you want to save. Three times I've been unemployed in five years, and I've only managed to survive because of savings. I'd have had to declare bankruptcy several times if it weren't for my savings account. (Of course, I would have had to cash out my IRA and sell my car first...)

But going back to my original point: Use the wish list instead of the 1-click on amazon. Then, when you and the wifey agree, buy a few things.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads