D&D 5E Other names for halflings

Patrick McGill

First Post
I like calling them something-folk. Like Kindfolk, Goodfolk, etc. In my homebrew world, the river-nomad halflings of the Westbearn call themselves the Peltauch, but everyone else calls them the "riverfolk". Real original, right?

GreenTengu

Adventurer
In Greyhawk, halflings are called hobniz

Considering hobgoblins are goblins that are 2-4x the size of regular goblins and considerably more civilized, productive, cooperative and longer lived, if Halflings are hobnizes, then I really got to wonder what a Niz is.

I am thinking some sort of pixie-sized short-lived beings who are unapologetically Chaotic Neutral and just generally far too small and foolish to be any sort of threat to anyone except to drive people insane through their annoying and disruptive behavior....

Like tiny Kender!

GuardianLurker

Adventurer
In my world, the "hobbits" live in the Shires of Acune. Their official name was Acuna. With the subraces of H'acuna, S'acuna, and T'acuna.

Basically, I named their nation, then named them. Do it right, and it all flows together.

Illithidbix

Explorer
"Shin Kickers"
"Ankle Biters"
"Hamstringers"
"Punt people"
"Foot stools"
"Trip hazards"
"Icklegits"
"Aggghr you little bugger"
"Where did that short **** go?"
"Hairyfooted anger mice"

paintphob

First Post
For my homebrew it is Hauflin. It literally translates to "all family" (hauf + lin) in their native tongue. They will also say "the Lin", if they are being quick, which they usually are not.
It was corrupted to Haflin by the Dwarfs. When Humans heard it, they changed it yet again, to Halfling. The reason was two fold. First, Humans assumed the Dwarfs dropped the 'g' from the end of the word, as they are want to do. Second, it seemed to 'fit', based on the little ones size.
Most Halflings don't care enough to correct any of the Big Folk.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases