Outdoor traps (pits, snares, etc?)

Shin Okada

Explorer
Are there any rule regarding those outdoor traps? If not, I want your opinions. Which skill should be used to notice those traps? Should a character use active search (search skill, 1 turn per 5-ft. square or so) to notice those traps? Or should they allowed to roll for some skills (spot? wilderness lore?) to notice traps when go near those traps?

Henrix

Explorer
There's nothing in the rules, AFAIK.

I recently had this situation when I DM'd and decided that it would be unreasonable to expect the PC's to scour every single 5' square they passed. They would never reach their goal at a speed of 5'/round!

So I allowed Spot checks to find the traps. I thought that they perhaps would not be so meticulously hidden as traps in a dungeon and lowered the DC required to find them with a Search, and decided that a Spot would find them with a DC 10 higher.
So for a basic pit trap, with poisoned bamboo splinter at the bottom, I set the Search DC to 15, and the Spot DC to 25.

Perhaps one should give a character with five ranks in Search a synergy bonus of +2, though.

Crothian

First Post
For setting snares and other common hunting type traps we use the Wilderness Lore skill.

I still use Search to detect them, but I don't limit it to one 5ft square per check.

Remove ads