Outsiders get damage reduction?

Gromm

First Post
MM p6
"A slain outsider cannot be raised or ressurected, although a wish or miracle spell can restore it to life."

Really not much room for interpretation if you ask me.

If it makes you feel better, I think of Sigil as being all planes and none. So anyone could be potentially raised there since its like being on thier home plane.

Bonedagger

First Post
Gromm said:
MM p6
"A slain outsider cannot be raised or ressurected, although a wish or miracle spell can restore it to life."

Really not much room for interpretation if you ask me.

If it makes you feel better, I think of Sigil as being all planes and none. So anyone could be potentially raised there since its like being on thier home plane.

MotP p 26 "Despite this outsider status, a divine agent may still be brought back from the dead."

Just one exeption from that rule. Otherwise why not just call them something else than an "outsider"? (They where aware that it contradicted the MM)

20th level monks can't be raised?

Last edited:

hong

WotC's bitch
Bonedagger said:

Just one exeption from that rule. Otherwise why not just call them something else than an "outsider"? (They where aware that it contradicted the MM)

Well, it's the whole transcendence schtick. And besides, it also means they become immune to humanoid-affecting spells, eg charm person, dominate person etc.

What, are you going to call a 20th level monk a "magical beast" or a "monstrous humanoid"?

Bonedagger

First Post
hong said:

Well, it's the whole transcendence schtick. And besides, it also means they become immune to humanoid-affecting spells, eg charm person, dominate person etc.

No. That depends on what kind of outsider they are. It say that charm person will no longer affect a Divine Agent because she is no longer identified as humanoid. (Added: That is. When she reaches 9th level :))

hong said:
What, are you going to call a 20th level monk a "magical beast" or a "monstrous humanoid"?

PHB. p 40 "a magical creature"?

Last edited:

hong

WotC's bitch
Bonedagger said:

No. That depends on what kind of outsider they are. It say that charm person will no longer affect a Divine Agent because she is no longer identified as humanoid.
And you will notice that one of the creature types in the MM is...?

You're not making sense. Please to be coherent before posting nonsense to web boards. I always am.

Bonedagger

First Post
hong said:

And you will notice that one of the creature types in the MM is...?

And you talk about not making sense. (The MM's definition on outsider is kinda the point here if that's what you mean)

hong said:
You're not making sense. Please to be coherent before posting nonsense to web boards. I always am.

PHB refers to Players Hand Book. :) But just in case that wasn't what you meant: If all we had refer to was the MM, the right definition for a monk would be outsider. But sinse the point was that the therm "outsider" wasn't covered right it doesn't make much sense to force one of the MM others definitions upon a monk. You asked for another creature type for a monk and since the MM's outsider doesn't cover what the monk can, I made one up:)... But then again. All I started out by saying was that the Creature Type "outsider" in the MM isn't defined right.

Xarlen

First Post
And, I quote page 18 of the FRCS. Aasmir, Tieflings, and Genasi are considered planetouched.

Native outsider: First spells or effects that affect only humanoids such as charm person or dominate person spell, do not effect planetouched characters.
Second, spells and effects that target extraplanar creatures may affect planetouched characters. Mace of smiting, sword of the planes for example. Spells that send the native outsider back to their own plane does not work, but Banishment (Which removes them from the caster's plane without spesificly sending them back home) does.
Third, Faerun's planetouched have lived on Toril long enough for Toril to become, in effect, their native plane. This means that planetouched characters can be raised or ressurected normally, whereas most outsiders cannot be brought back fromm the dead without the use of a miracle or Wsih spell.

Bonedagger

First Post
Xarlen said:
And, I quote page 18 of the FRCS. Aasmir, Tieflings, and Genasi are considered planetouched.

Don't play Forgotten Realms so hadn't heard that one.

Sorry. But for me it sounds like a way to get around the MM definition so that they can continue to play planetouched the way they where played in 2nd Ed. It is the only campaign setting that I know of that would be directly affected by the new definition since planetouched are normal as playercharacters there.

(Added: At the time the MM came out there was some talk about leaving the planes out entirely (No MotP). Maybe that's why they simplified things?)

It just gives to many contradictions for an old planescape player. But then again. Planescape isn't an official part of 3 Ed. and this isn't a game with the precision of rocket science. So....

Last edited:

Gromm

First Post
Bonedagger said:

I'd call them an outsider with a special clause that allows them to be raised, unlike other outsiders.

Wont retype the whole "native outsider" thing from FRCS, but thats the gist of it. Basically allows PCs who are Tieflings and the like to be raised. Otherwise it sure would suck if you died.

Monks also fall under the same definition after errata, along with just about every outsider you become as part of a PrC.

Remove ads